Suggestions for first speakers

bperboy

I'm just about done building the Leach amplifier (~100Wrms / channel). I was hoping to get some suggestions for first speakers to match with it, probably in the price range $200-400. All I've got now are some no-name bookshelf speakers. Some floor-standers might be nice, but I really don't know too much about speakers.

Thanks,

Evan aka bperboy

Here's one channel completed. I haven't finished building the other channel yet. Forgive the messy wiring; I will tidy it up nearer to the end of the project.

12925_10151047509621946_729350488_n.jpg

Edited by bperboy

How much room do you have? 100w/ch allows you to use inefficient drivers also or perhaps multiway designs. Depending on how you want your money to be divided up, open baffle would allow most of the money to go towards drivers. Multiway would drive cost to the enclosure and crossover components. Are you doing the woodwork yourself or paying someone else?

After listening to some of the best speakers on the market this weekend, there were a couple standouts, but one that really stood out because with was only $300. Sounded better than 90% of the stuff there.

Hsu HB-1 mk2. Off an Onkyo integrated fed by a midrange Sony DVD player. All hooked up with zip wire.

• Like 1