Suggestions for first speakers

bperboy

I'm just about done building the Leach amplifier (~100Wrms / channel). I was hoping to get some suggestions for first speakers to match with it, probably in the price range $200-400. All I've got now are some no-name bookshelf speakers. Some floor-standers might be nice, but I really don't know too much about speakers.

NHT Classic Two and Three are on sale.

I didn't realize that's how subs integrate into the 2.1 system. I like that.. after I finish the amp, hopefully this weekend or early next week, I'll see how it sounds with the little bookshelf speakers I have now. Maybe next step is to add on an entry/mid-level sub, with an eye towards upgrading the bookshelf speakers..

:palm:

Good catch.

I didn't realize that's how subs integrate into the 2.1 system. I like that.. after I finish the amp, hopefully this weekend or early next week, I'll see how it sounds with the little bookshelf speakers I have now. Maybe next step is to add on an entry/mid-level sub, with an eye towards upgrading the bookshelf speakers..
Yes, that is definitely a good plan. Adding a sub might be all you need.

And then maybe supertweeters.

Thanks for the suggestion on the sub. I had two AV123 Onyx Rocket 10" subs, and one Velodyne 8" sub over the years. Both AV123 subs have gone bad (one dead, one making noise), while the Velodyne I bought in 2004 with their Decco 5.1 system is still alive and rocking.

I was going to order a drop-in amp board for the AV123 from Parts Express, but people have posted it needs mods to not have any hum. So, I just ordered the Velodyne VX-11 to replace the dying V123, and shipping was free. Velodyne is selling that sub for $169 on Amazon, but direct from Velodyne it was $20 cheaper and you can still use Amazon checkout.

What are the chances both of my AV123 subs would go bad in 3 years? The one making noise might be fixable, but two electronics repair companies here in town wont touch it.

Okay, so I have completed the Leach amplifier successfully!

The final output power is around 80-85Wrms per channel. The voltage rails sag under full load. That's a combo of an unregulated power supply and using a relatively cheap transformer from Antek Inc.

Sound is pretty good so far on crappy test speakers!

post-758-0-82089100-1351023954_thumb.jpg

post-758-0-04844400-1351023960_thumb.jpg

Edited by bperboy

You may want to look into the HSU HB-1 MK2 ($300 a pair). I know nothing about them except what Naaman said but I trust his opinion.

Here are his comments.

"Last but not least where the Hsu HB-1 Mk2s. I almost didn't go into the room because I figured he was just showing off his subs and the boring black box bookshelves were just there to fill in the upper end of the sound spectrum. Boy was I wrong. They sounded really good, better than 90% good. And that isn't even taking into consideration their price. At $300 a pair it almost made the rest of the rooms seem silly. The rest of his system was super simple and very un-audiophile. Sony DVD player source, Onkyo integrated, zip wire cables to the speakers. It was almost comical how cheap it looked compared to all the rest of the rooms. One thing he did have that many rooms didn't was lots of sounded panels around the room. "

Agreed. It's smart to add the sound control to the room, but a bad is speaker is going to sound bad either way. Not having it can hinder a good speaker, which was the case in many rooms

For the price might as well give the Pioneers a whirl. See as Best Buy carries them, and would be easy to return I don't see how it could hurt giving them a try.

Edit: The floor stander version is on sale at BB for $200 a pair. Wouldn't really need a sub with those. Heck I might go down to my BB and see how they sound.

Edited by naamanf

Edit: The floor stander version is on sale at BB for $200 a pair. Wouldn't really need a sub with those. Heck I might go down to my BB and see how they sound.

Wow, good call on looking into that.

And to be clear, they really are the corresponding floor stander version, designed by the same guy, with the same curved non-boxy cabinet and driver complement. And with 3 woofers each.

And having owned Pioneer for decades before I got into high-end audio, I kind of like Pioneer.

Time to start looking at replacing my crappy HT soundbar and looking at getting a cheap receiver and some bookshelves - those prices for the apparent quality is ridiculous.

For my downstairs TV I picked up a refurbished Onkyo and a Infinity HT-in-a-box (Amazon deal) and it gets the job done just fine. Reference anything it isn't but it sounds just fine for TV or playing tunes in the basement. Those Pioneers would probably sound a ton better at close to the same price.

Hadn't read the last few posts here until now. I have the Jones-designed Pioneer bookshelf speakers, they are pretty nice. Newegg has twice put them on sale in the last 4-5 months for $50 USD INCLUDING shipping! Couldn't resist.....

I have them running in conjunction with a Gallo TR-1 sub, making some nice music from a semi-vintage Marantz 1020 integrated. Of course, the Neko DAC as the source makes a huge difference!

I have read, though can't remember where unfortunately, that the towers may not be quite as good as the bookshelves, but should be real good for the $ in any case.