New wood in da house!

Iron_Dreamer

Yeah, the midrange tone definitely reminds me of the L3000. Of course these don't have that kind of monster bass, but what does? Actually I was surprised by the bass on these guys, it's better than I had expected. Most people had me thinking these headphones were a one-trick pony (i.e. all midrange), but the whole spectrum is presented in a very pleasing fashion.

nice. the W11JPN was my first full-sized / home headphone I bought perhaps 7 or 8 years ago. I still like it for what it is (as in after factoring in price and whatnot).

it's probably one of the more balanced of the ATH-W series, with some warmth (thought not as much as the W10VTG) and good bass.. although probably due to its older design doesn't have the extension of the W2002, L3000, W5000, nor the speed.

Congrats Iron_Dreamer, that is a great looking can, one of the most gorgeous 8)

Amazing, but I am getting my W11JPN tomorrow. :dance:O0

There was decent W11JPN movement lately, I am the third one to get his W11JPN this week :angel:

I can't wait !

Given an unlimited budget, I wouldn't have sold my JPNs. They just fit the same niche as the VTGs, which I prefer. The JPNs are very good, tho.

LOL Alex, you sig bully! :D

Comparing them directly with the W5000, the lower midrange to upper bass is quite a bit more. Balanced, the W5k's bass comes a bit closer, but the lower midrange area is still a bit lacking. The W5k does have better treble extension, and a bit more precision to the soundstage, along with a certian bite to the upper midrange (no doubt due to its' coloration) an effect which is nonetheless welcome with a lot of the music I like. I do think I prefer the tone of the JPN for classical music. They are both certainly excellent but different headphones, and I love the variety.

I just got my W11JPN Today, pictures later :P

Initial sound impressions (compared to my W5K) are:

Bass: bigger, fuller, IMO, better. it was something that lacked in the W5K's and now I finally feel I have the fullness of sound that I was craving for.

Midrange: as Peter said, the JPN are more balanced overall, with a sweet and warm midrange, not colored as the W5K, I personally prefer it that way.

The good thing is, that the JPN's midrange is still resolving and clear, so it's not recessed, simply not as forward and colored as in the W5k.

Treble: the W5K's are more open with more detail and extension compared to the JPN, the JPN simply can't extract that extra amount of details that the W5K are scraping from the music.

The W5K also feel more open and with a greater amount of air, which I like and it lacks a bit on the JPN.

As far as I seen, the closer sound seems more pronounced with bad and old recordings that have lower dynamics and "life".

The W5K's are toping the JPN in terms of soundstage, instrument separation and the famous pinpoint imaging that the the W5K is known for.

So, they are different flavors, and I like the new W11JPN cans, they are more musical and fun, but not essentially better than the W5000.

P.S.

The W11JPN requires more juice to sound at the same level of volume, about to steps more with my MPX3 Volume attenuator.

Aside from that, I will do some tuberolling to make some fine tuning and just playing with the sound >:D

ayt999 - I figured it was the reason, it is rather nice, as I have more "space" to play with my volume attenuator on my amp, the W5K don't go that high at all :(

some more impressions:

These cans has some canon like mid bass ! :o :o :o:D;D

It's dreamy, I put "Dream Theater - 6:00" on and the slam with the leg drum is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !!!! O0:dance:

So big in your face and, the punch is huge ! illegally deeeeep >:D

In that aspect it totally rocks !

Aside from that, it's really is a fun headphone :laugh:

Everything I throw at it sounds so great and musical, magic may I say ?

It's funny but I have adjusted to the sound signature very fast, it took me about 3-4 songs and I'm deep inside the music, consider the fact that my only can was the W5K for the last few month, I am really used to the W5K's sound sig, I didn't expect it to be that fast.

what can I say ?

I'm in heaven !

Thanks Peter,

Yes, I'm really loving them, they certainly have a large amount of magic in them, if they are the little brother of the L3000, my wallet is in big trouble :police:

After making some tuberolling, I found out the Hytron 6SN7GT to be a superb tube, matches the W11JPN so good, it makes the bass totally devastating !

The mids are good, maybe just a tad brighter and they seem to be doing something special with the midrange that makes some sounds a psychoacoustic experience :D

I find the W11JPN more responsive to amplification than the W5K.

Right now, using the Hytron 6SN7Gt as gain & Mullard ECC182 as output, the sound is totally great, I tried some 7AF7 which resulted with better mids and air, but the bass, body, and fuller sound that comes with the Hytron 6SN7GT are to die for ! >:D

I'm just sorry I haven't got a hold of these sooner :P

• 2 weeks later...