Hurricane Sandy: "Perfect Storm II?"

roadtonowhere08

Dad had to be evacuated last night from his apt after a levee broke in little ferry, nj. Around 1am 2 families that live on the first floor came up to stay with him on the second and this morning he and the other families had to be evacuated by boat as the water had gotten halfway up the stairs. Don't know how long his phone battery is going to last but hopefully where ever he and the others are it is safe. sad.png

http://newsinfo.inqu...ey-levee-police

I had read about that....hope he and others are OK!

Yup, overkill. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

To second this I bought our generator almost 12 months ago to the day Sandy hit. I hadn't used it until yesterday. It easily paid for itself in the 4hrs that I had to use it yesterday. Given the dire predictions for this winter it'll probably get quite a bit more use in the near future, unfortunately. Even if you ignore the convenience of having it you don't need to lose many fridge/freezers full of food to pay for it if you want to make an actual economic argument. For me, with two little ones, it's a no brainer just to have heat and hot water. Having family close is great except when it means that there's nowhere to run to in a storm since they'll both be getting battered by whatever we might be running from.

Woke up and still have power. Looks like my wife's argument that a generator is overkill is likely true.

I hope things are going well for the HC crew.

Still have power at my house but not at my business,I will bring my generator to work to power up.

Over 750000 without power. Could take 7- 10 days for people to get their power back.

My sister is without power I borrowed a generator from my worker who has power & got her up & running today.

A generator is a great insurance policy ,Try & live without power for 7-10 days ,no heat ,lights,hot water refrigerator

No overkill once you go thru having no power for length of time I have in the past & believe me your wives tune will change.

Not out if the woods yet from the storm,noticed my neighbors tree which overhangs my roof,shed & deck is splitting in the branch y.

The tree is 70 ft high And looks as the branch that is overhanging my side is the one that's going to go.

My neighbor is having no luck getting anyone to cut it down before it happens because the tree guys are overloaded,He tried to get it done last saturday before the storm.

Power's out at our office too, and we're losing significant money for every day without power. Not good. Could be worse though. The office is surrounded by trees which JUST managed to miss it on the way down. No estimate from the power company save that it will be "a while." Now the issue is finding a working gas station for cars and generator.

Living in a storm area and NOT having a generator is asking for it. Especially with winter and hypothermia on the way.

Checking in gang. My building and apartment are ok. Unbelievably, we have power and never lost it whereas most of the rest of downtown is out. I expect power to be dicey though as the transformers make trouble. Elevators are out as a precaution.

Battery Park City is amazingly intact thank god. Little Monkey and i went out to have a catch this afternoon. Only problems right now are no fios so no internet, tv, or land line. And cell service is really spotty on both att and vzw.

• Like 2

A generator is a great insurance policy ,Try & live without power for 7-10 days ,no heat ,lights,hot water refrigerator

No overkill once you go thru having no power for length of time I have in the past & believe me your wives tune will change.

I've done this a couple times for over a week with the hurricanes that hit this area. Oddly, I didn't mind being with electricity. I just can't stand the noise of the generator, and far prefer being hot and without lights.

Glad people are alright. Hoping Crappy's dad makes out okay.

Glad everything is ok Dinny!

When Ike came through Houston, we were without power for a week (luckily only a week as some friends were without power for 2 weeks). It wasn't horrible but we did have power at work so I could recharge the phone/laptop. Also, we had gas and water so we could cook and take showers. Next time, I will get some battery powered fans though.

I guess most heating systems require electricity for the blower? So no power = no heat? That is not fun!

Edited by shellylh

My daughter lives right across the street from where that crane fell apart. She walked 30 blocks downtown to a friend's before it happened and took nothing with her. They're now saying she won't be able to enter the building possibly for weeks.

Silly girl, I told her last year she needed a bugout bag.

She'll be okay, she has friends.

Dinny, really glad to hear that everything's OK with you.

I've done this a couple times for over a week with the hurricanes that hit this area. Oddly, I didn't mind being with electricity. I just can't stand the noise of the generator, and far prefer being hot and without lights.

I agree that the noise is bad. Too bad you don't have any headphones or IEMs to block the sound.

Glad people are alright. Hoping Crappy's dad makes out okay.

^This.

• Like 1