Martin-Logan Headphones

Dusty Chalk

link

On-ear.

(Largely) closed.

(Largely) black.

Leather (& aluminum).

Detachable, non-microphonic cord with mic and remote for, e.g., Apple products.

Not electrostatic.

$300.

No, I'm not getting them, I have enough headphones, I'm not getting them, I have enough headphones, I'm not getting them, I have enough headphones, I'm not getting them, I have enough headphones...

But, dang, I'm curious.

Well, I'm going to an ML event tonight at the Sound Shop in Colorado Springs, and see if I can win a pair of their new IEM. I didn't know they had a headphone as well.

I listened to the Martin Logan CLX full size electrostatic speakers and thought they sounded very nice with some Bryston gear. I plan to listen to them again tonight with my own music.

You mean, like all PA speakers everywhere?

p36086.jpg

It prevents the beer from getting to the drivers, although I doubt that's the intention on these.

but the headphones are worse. the space between holes seems too big.

actually, my comment was retarded, i guess I really meant the exact opposite of what i said.

too much sound goes through (what I speculate) to be too few holes

I find it massively dissappointing that a company that is synonymous with electrostatic speakers would choose to not make electrostatic headphones. They had an opportunity to stand out and they chose to play it safe. Stylewise, yes they look good but it makes you wonder how much money was left to spend on sound.

Thread tag is teh funneh!! :)

The Stax mafia should really be renamed the ES mafia as that's what we are about, regardless of who makes them. That said, ML speakers were never good but the new ones are just terrible, taking away all rigidity in the panel to make it look cool and the bass/panel integration is a joke. Things are apparently even worse with the newest stuff and the recent sale of ML and moving of the production to Canada hasn't improved things.

Still, some of the old ones are ok and I was just asked to refurb and old set for my neighbor. I'm thinking complete rebuild with extensive mods to the bass but I doubt he'll like the cost...

I heard the Martin Logan CLX yesterday, and it sounded pretty good. They had the room set up just right, and the sound was pretty transparent and balanced, with good bass for an all electrostatic speaker and no separate subwoofer. It was better than most of the crap I hear at RMAF each year, but I wouldn't pay $24,000 for it.

The little ML stats didn't fare as well, with a rolled off treble and boomy bass. It made me wonder if the cheaper version without the built-in amp for the woofers might be better. I prefer my AV123 X-Static speakers (under $1000) or even my $800 PSB Imagine Mini + Velodyne to the $6,700 ML stats.