HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Thanks all!

That is one of the nicest looking frames I have ever seen. Are you having it painted or leaving it natural wit a clear coat of some kind?

I am actually leaving it "nude" which is what you see in the photo and is a matte finish and supposed to be extremely scratch resistant. I decided to try it like this first because if I don't like it I can always get it painted or clear coated.

Edited by Dreadhead

I just came in from a very short ride. It was chilly. I got the layers thing figured out and my body was fine, but I was not anticipating the wind and cold on my fingers. Shifting and breaking with numb fingers isn't easy. Must get fingered gloves for my ride next weekend just in case.

Vicki I don't know how your hand/feet circulation is but mine sucks so I also use hand/toe warmers:

http://www.warmers.com/

Keeps me from seizing up in the cold and even work when wet etc.

To paint over that carbon fiber would be a travesty IMO.

I absolutely agree. I think that clear coat may happen but I doubt it. That said, a lot of the colors they offer are translucent so you can still see the carbon (and fades are free). So I was originally thinking of a translucent red fading to clear (towards the back) with the lugs clear coated. I thought that would look pimp.

More pics of the amazing craftsmanship:

post-886-0-60430200-1352381864_thumb.jpg post-886-0-16569500-1352381877_thumb.jpg post-886-0-90748600-1352381888_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dreadhead

It's not a custom. It's not carbon. Hell, it's not even a road bike. Nonetheless I just got shipping confirmation on my purchase of a leftover 2012 Cannondale Jekyll 3.

77a0b354-340c-3bd9-2e7f-86f109d99b30-7967.jpeg

With a little luck it'll show up at my LBS tomorrow in time for them to start the build and then finish it on Saturday. With even more luck today's snow will melt and I can get a ride in on Monday or the following weekend. I wanted to hold out for a Trigger 29er but the economics were insurmountable (30% cost premium). It's way more bike than I need but at the price I paid it's untouchable value compared to anything else I could find.
  • Like 1

It's not a custom. It's not carbon. Hell, it's not even a road bike. Nonetheless I just got shipping confirmation on my purchase of a leftover 2012 Cannondale Jekyll 3.

Nice, saw your post yesterday on MTBR.

The bike rides nicely out of the box but get ready to do some serious suspension tuning over the next few weeks. Once you get the suspension dialed in it takes the bike to a whole new level.

Went up to my brother's yesterday afternoon to return his Bianchi (sniff), and also to true up that pair of Campy wheels I bought for my commuter. Had him show me (or re-show me) how to do it, and I got both within 1mm both roundness and wobble, so they are quite straight. I borrowed his Park truing stand to touch up my other 3 sets of wheels while I am at it. It was actually kind of fun, and I may go ahead and build a set of wheels in the future. I had build a set back in the late '70s but hadn't done any building/truing since then.

Blarg, ecstasy delayed. The bike was actually ready to be picked up yesterday when I got there but won't fit my rack without an adapter. So I'll go back and try my other rack this morning or just buy the adapter. I did get to ride it around the parking lot and it'll be a lot of fun on the trails.

I got the bike this morning. The shop did setup the suspension per the manual for my weight but there appears to be an issue with the rear shock when in long travel mode. It thumps at the top of the stroke. I'd think something was loose if it didn't function perfectly in the lower travel setting. Regardless I took it home to give it a shakedown ride sometime this weekend and then I'll bring it back Monday or Tuesday so my LBS can get in touch with Fox.