HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

So the cable guide that was rebonded to the carbon on my downtube has come undone again today. It doesn't really have much of an impact right now as the tension on the cables keeps it in place but it is obviously a frame defect so I decided to drop if off again at the LBS so they can send it back to Specialized. Hopefully they'll give me a new frame this time but I doubt that because I think they should be able to rebond this piece properly just like it was done so when they first manufactured it.

Looks like about two weeks without a bike again but I should be able to ride at Sebring. On a positive note, I'll be well rested and dangerous come the Sebring ride evil.gif

If you don't think it's a "forever" bike that does make the call harder.

I had thought you were not into carbon :) I will let you know on Wednesday about the calfee but I expect to be wowed and don't expect to replace it for a very long time unless technology changes or something. I feel even better about it because my shop decided to become an official stocking dealer out of it.

If I went Ti road it would be a forever bike (forever is very relative when I am involved). I saw a couple Crumptons recently down here and I kind of like what I see. At $4,000 plus it would be a while before I made that move. Before I put my deposit down on my DeSalvo, I was thinking about a custom Landshark carbon frame. My thinking is if I go Ti mtb, I'm buying one more bike instead of two more bikes.

That just means you need a second backup bike (or 2).

I approve of this statement. The mission is to turn the Roubaix into a backup bike in the next 2-3 years (or sooner) and get a "lifetime" bike. So far, I've been lusting over the Colnago C59 or the Dogma 65.2. Truth be told I secretly prefer the Dogma but it's not Made in Italy nor does it have the prestige associated with a Colnago.

I was looking at C59 but it turns out that their largest size is still too small for me. My coach loves the Dogma but I am not sure if he still rides it now he got a Super Six Himod.

Mike you've got some great thinking to do. Probably made harder by the fact you are choosing between 2 awesome options.

Edited by Dreadhead

My deal with the C59 is that it has a slightly tall head tube for me. I have really short legs and a long torso for my height. To get the fit I want without cutting a significant amount of steer tube I need a HT of around 100-110. I can make the C59 fit properly but I will probably end up with only 15 mm of spacers under the stem which means I will have to chop a good amount if steer tube. It'll end up with a nice fit albeit a little "slammed" and my worry is resale value for a really small slammed bike. However, I realize this may be a moot point as the C59 should be a lifetime bike (or at least a very long time bike).

OTOH, the Dogma will give me a lot more flexibility fit wise and will require minimal steer tube cutting if any.

Go old school steel, but with a twist. Firefly Bicycles makes a custom road bike with Columbus XCR stainless steel tubing. Seriously good bikes, the company's run by guys from Independent Fabrication, they have a long history of making innovative kickass bikes.

http://fireflybicycl.../road-stainless

And just to make your life even more fun, Seven Cycles 622 SLX. Carbon tubes with titanium lugs and chainstays. I saw one this summer when I dropped into the shop I used to work at, I'm indifferent towards carbon bikes at best but with this one I went "shit, if I did road riding and had the cash, I'd buy it no question". Well, I would if they didn't make the Axiom SLX.