HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Those look nice Jim!

I was on a mission when I bought my Sidis (my brother had some), but would agree that they are priced rather insanely. Though I think that about most bike stuff (bikes, components, apparel) these days. Must be getting old.

Now, get off my lawn!

:rofl:

Any of you road guys have any comments, good or bad, about the 2012 Trek Madone 5.2c? They are on clearance around here and seem to be a good deal at around 2800. Since there are so many road bike opportunities around here I am thinking of upgrading from the Cyclocross bike while the end of the year deals are on.

Edited by VPI

Jeff I'm not a fan of the Trek stuff, I prefer Cannondale, Specialized or Giant. In particular how they handled the issue with snapping steering tubes a few years back that caused some pretty horrific crashes was not cool. That said that's a great build kit that will serve you well for a long time and a great price.

I finally got a chance to get back on the bike today. I did about 7 miles, which is nothing compared to most of you, but for a fat guy like me it was pretty good. Considering I had not been on the bike in a couple months, it felt good too, except my ass is going to be sore tomorrow. I just wish I had a place to ride that was not either a constant climb or downhill. There is almost no flat ground here.

• Like 1

I have changed direction mid course. I looked at and really liked a Cervelo R3 full SRAM Rival and a Cervelo R5 full SRAM Red at Fresh Bikes here by my house. Going back tomorrow for a spin. Any thoughts on these Cerveloses?

Edited by VPI

Put a bottle cage on the seat tube mounts and see if it sits straight. There's a batch of R3's and possibly some R5's as well that left the factory with crooked bottle mounts, when you put a bottle cage on them it tilts to the right by nearly an inch and besides looking stupid it may rub on your legs. One of my local shops got several bad R3's with that issue, it's not too big a deal if you use a metal bottle cage since you can rebend it to make it sit straight, but if you're using a plastic or carbon cage then you have a problem.

Cervelo is great stuff ride wise according to everyone I have spoken to that has one. Fresh Bikes is a good store. You should see if you can ride a Super Six there as well. Don't know what deal they are giving but I would also try the Giant TCR Advanced with ISP, they have the great advantage that they can't slip.

Edited by Dreadhead

I finally got a chance to get back on the bike today. I did about 7 miles, which is nothing compared to most of you, but for a fat guy like me it was pretty good. Considering I had not been on the bike in a couple months, it felt good too, except my ass is going to be sore tomorrow. I just wish I had a place to ride that was not either a constant climb or downhill. There is almost no flat ground here.

Seven miles of hills would kick my butt. I gotta learn to do hills as everywhere I want to visit on my bike is hilly.

VPI just be aware that there were some frame cracking issues with the R3 frames around the bb area. From what I remember Cervelo replaced the broken frames but It's something to consider.

Vicki hills are GREAT!!! just go with 11x23 and 39x53 and you'll be set.

Vicki hills are GREAT!!! just go with 11x23 and 39x53 and you'll be set.

That's just mean.

Hills are fun though. Mountains are less so. When the climb takes more than 15min it really starts getting awesome. Making plans for a 3 day self guided training camp in San Diego next February and I am already getting excited.

Hoping for 3 rides in the next 4 days :)

Got my Roubaix back today late afternoon so I just slapped in on the trainer and did some Sufferfest intervals. I thought I was gonna feel fresh after not riding for almost 2 weeks but that wasn't the case as I struggled mightily.

Need to log more miles before the Sebring weekend with Mike and JP next week.

Oh wait a minute... re ^ were you talking about going UP hills? In that case there are some hills that truly SUCK!

Yes, UP sucks!  Unfortunately that's what I have to deal with.  I'm trying to get up the stamina to do the Fence Line ride next year.  It goes all the way around the base on the perimeter road.  About 28 miles in all.  Lots of cool stuff to see on that ride.

Edited by c12mech

Nice! What size is that frame? I see from the build list it comes with a 53/39 and you may want a compact. Well actually I'd recommend it.

I'd be up for meeting you on the trail at Shreve Rd or similar. Or you can come over here and we could do some riding around here (sorry I don't know that much around you that doesn't involve a lot of uphill).

The trail would be nice as the people around here can't drive at all.  Does the trail go all the way in to your house?

Jeff, Yeah it attaches to Four Mile Run which attaches to the George Washington Parkway Trail. It's about an hour for me to that point on the trail.

Drivers really aren't that bad or at least it seems to me. Maybe I've just gotten used to it. I ride the trail for my long rides because it keeps Meaghan from worrying nearly as much.

I actually went down in frame size from the 58 to a 56. Seems much more comfortable than my 58 Specialized. I am tallish but my legs are short.

Did they fit you or you riding your old fit?

Edited by Dreadhead