HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Jeff, there is a guy who takes his DH bike apart and puts it in a bag similar to the large Aviator bag from Red Oxx.  It's in a mag.  You have to take the fork off to do it (double crown fork), but I could find that for you if a big case doesn't pop up.

Mike, Ellijay is exactly 1 hour, 22 minutes from both Chattanooga and Atlanta.  Some of the BMW guys do drives out there a couple times a year, and it's a beautiful place.  We always go to this cajun placed called the Cajun Depot.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34929-d573265-Reviews-Cajun_Depot_Grill-Ellijay_Georgia.html

Needless to say, I'm in and will be in the "super slow" group.  I've never ridden out there (there is a TON of riding in the Chattanooga area, though), but I met a woman who did a big 62 mile trail race (running) out there this past spring, so there's gotta be a ton of different stuff out there.  Just saw there's 80 miles of trail.  I think there's a few hundred within 30 minutes of Chattanooga as well.

Sounds good, Mike.  Get a bike, JP.

**BRENT**

Edit, a quick search revealed that even Niner recommends these guys:

http://evocusa.com/#images/2012/black-bag-web.jpg

Edited by MexicanDragon

Brent, I think I gotta stay away from mountain biking, even if I know I would love it.  My ankle is already destroyed with, per the MRI, zero cartilage left.  Can't deal with the jarring.

Chris, it's going to be Spring before I can ride anything worth traveling for as far as I can guess.  I don't even know when I can get back on a bike right now, and then have to see how sucky I got in a few months off.  I'll know more in about a month.  I would love to do something in the Carolinas.

I think we need to plan a mountain biking meet this spring here: http://www.mulberrygap.com

This is a beautiful area, back in my days of cycling while living in Chattanooga I used to frequent north Georgia to cycle or hike. You and your "compadres" will have a ball. Next you could visit the gold museum in Dahlonega.

I'd prefer April myself.  I'm just going to have to wait and see how much damage I've done, and how being old affects my ability to snap back and get in shape.   Goals really motivate me, and if I can ride well at all by end of February (30-40 miles, decent speed), I'd start pulling myself together for a great trip in April.  What kind of riding are we talking about?  Mileage per day?  er...hills?  I'm still in my pink cast, but am excited about planning something.  I missed the two rides I was excited for this year (Miami to Key West, and the Sebring event Mike, John, and Raffy just did this weekend), and I need something to look forward to.

Oh, and congrats again re kiddo #2.  Brent, you really have to read more around here.  

If it's an issue, I will deal with it.  Any suggestions on pedals?  I used to use spd's set inside platforms.  I still have them so will give them a try.  I've read that some people have stopped using clipless pedals and use platforms.

I use XT Trail pedals (larger platform than the XC). They work very well for me, though there are times when I would have liked flats. Wanted to try Times but were OOS at Jensen.