HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

I have both versions of the XTR pedals and they have worked well.  I actually use flats far more often than clipless though.

Managed to get a quick pre-sundown 7 miles in this evening on my normal path with an increased avg speed of 14.8.  Really slow for you guys but markedly better than the first couple of time pre-fit for me.

• Like 1

Any suggestions on pedals?

Do NOT get anything from Crank Brothers.  Period.  Unless you want your leg impaled by a broken pedal spindle.  When I go on a group rides, it's almost guaranteed that someone will break a Crank Bros. pedal.

Anything from Shimano is good, but my preference is for Times since they're simpler and require zero maintenance, plus they work better in mud & snow.  I run Time ATAC Carbon Ti's on my bike, had'em for 12 years, still running like new.  They've outlasted everything on my bike except my Chris King headset and 4-piston XT disc brakes.

As for clipless vs. platforms it depends on what kind of trails you ride and how often you need to bail off your bike in a hurry.  For instance if I'm riding a bunch of skinny bridges, teeter-totters, and other stunts I want platform pedals for sure, for everything else I prefer clipless.  A lot of it comes down to personal preference as well, some people like platforms more because it matches better with their riding style, same thing with clipless. 

People love Eggbeaters for cross since they're super light and they clear mud, snow, and ice very well, which is worth the risk of a DNF if the pedals crap out during the race.  But for mountain biking they're too fragile and unreliable, and even better, if you get a pedal strike it'll unclip your foot from the pedal.  I've seen a bunch of people hit their Eggbeaters on a rock or log and have their foot go flying off the pedal, followed by a crash.

The root cause of Crank Bros. pedal failures is loose tolerances in production along with some questionable design choices.  If you happen to luck out and get a pedal where the tolerances for all the parts are right in the middle of the spec it'll last just fine, problem is the good ones are few & far between since the tolerances are so wide.  Going by the riding groups in my area, somewhere around 10-20% of their pedals are good for the long run, the rest of them wear out prematurely or suffer catastrophic failure.  You might luck out and get a good one, but the odds aren't good. Friend of mine was lucky and got a good set on her first purchase, they worked and she liked them so she bought more for the rest of her bikes.  The later buys all failed in less than a year.

So with the talk of a HC mtb meet, people need to come to northern NH. None of that sand crap found in the southern states, just nice loosely packed brown dirt >:D

Eff that, come to the southern part of the state and ride some rocks!

On the pedal front, I'm clearly in the SPD camp.  Simple, cheap, which is nice since I'm not gentle.

Eff that, come to the southern part of the state and ride some rocks!

On the pedal front, I'm clearly in the SPD camp.  Simple, cheap, which is nice since I'm not gentle.

Nothing wrong with rocks, but drifting in berms with nice dirt is quite addictive :indra:

WRT to the Shimanos, mine greatly benefited from break in... I can snap in and out of them quite quickly after the muscle memory adjustment/break in.

Another suggestion is to go to Asheville and ride Pisgah National Forest. Great town to hang out and tons of riding options, I liked Mulberry Gap because there are a bunch of cabins and trails right off the property.

Back in the late '90 through early '00 I used to ride Pisgah almost every summer. It is a really nice area with a large selection of trails. I was spoiled since my in-laws used to live for about 12 yrs in Hendersonville. This is one of the most fun memories of mountain biking I have. There is a lake in the park (with a little beach) and other kind of facilities. It is a very large forest.

I remember visiting a bike shop in Ashville, Liberty Bicycles, and stocking up in stuff. I also remember that there were a number of Cabins/Camp-style homes and houses that would be up for rent for short vacations. This bike shop would organize/facilitate rentals in the vicinity of the national forest. I never rented since we had where to stay locally. I do remember that it wasn't cheap. This is also about 10 yrs ago(phew!). It is very likely other bike shops would do the same, so shopping around may be worthy.

I remember visiting the specific house below once to check it out, since it was at a trail-head when we usually parked the car and stated riding. So something like this would accommodate a group, and it was fully set up for occupancy.

The usual disclaimers apply, I don't know the owners, no relation, no personal experience with renting from them, but this could be a starting point of research for you guys :)

http://libertybikes.com/articles/vacation-in-the-heart-of-cycling-paradise-pg62.htm

Liberty Bicycles

1378 Hendersonville Rd.

Asheville, NC 28803

(828) 274-2453

(800) 96-BIKES

The cost of both the candy and eggbeater is such that if they last more than a year I will consider that a bonus.

True enough. A lot of people I know just get a new set on clearout or warranty every year. I hate fixing or replacing parts on my bike so I always go for the most durable and reliable parts I can buy.