HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Mike: try to get the bead of the on side (assuming you have one side on) into the channel in the middle of the rim. That might help. Then try to work the other side on with your hands, using tire levers towards the end. If you succeed in getting it on, compress both sides of the tire and look down along the bead and rim to make sure you don't have tube sticking out anywhere.

If you can't get it on, you might want to try a tire jack such as the Kool-Stop. Good luck, and keep the cussing to a minimum :rofl:

I know, it isn't funny...

Re: the Conti GP-4000 tires: I haven't used them, but did hear one bad thing about their traction on wet surfaces. One guy on BF was talking about going down a hill with a curve with some water on it at around 35-40 mph and having the back end come unglued. He managed to ride it around the curve without falling. When he got to the bottom, he said he got off the bike and puked his guts out. Sounds like fun! He prefers the Veloflex Pave or Master 22s.

Edited by Pars

I recommend you go tubeless.

Is it just tight getting the tire back on at the very end of seating the bead.  Sometimes you have to pop the tire out of the bead into the center of the wheel opposite the tight area to give slack to get that last bit of rubber around the rim.    Pop of out bead here --->O<---if this part of the tire is not fitting over the wheel for slack.

^^^Beat me to it, and more eloquently.  

The riders at the shop said the 4000 was the best in the wet.  I have Vittoria something or others on the current wheel set, maybe I will stick with them as they seem fine.

Edited by VPI

The culprit was a couple of pinch flats.  I took it to the shop to have them give me a quick tutorial and I realized my mistake.  All is a go for a maiden ride Saturday morning.  The park opens at sunrise so I am tempted to go out for 45 minutes tomorrow or Friday morning. I wish I had a Go Pro, I suspect my first few rides will be entertaining.

To the mountain bikers, full finger gloves or half?  Also, do you wear mtb specific shorts or just cycling shorts under regular shorts?

I would go with what feels natural to you. I like full finger, but I scraped my hands up pn a spill back in the day riding w/o gloves, so full finger gives me a bit more confidence

To the mountain bikers, full finger gloves or half?  Also, do you wear mtb specific shorts or just cycling shorts under regular shorts?

For gloves, it depends on how narrow and/or overgrown the trails are in your area, how hot & humid it is, and how often you fall on your ass. My local trails are pretty narrow and get badly overgrown in the summer so full finger gloves are essential, without them my hands would get ripped to shreds.

Shorts is whatever you feel like wearing. Some people will rock the roadie tights on the trails, others go shorts on top of tights, and some choose MTB specific shorts with liners. There's no right choice, ride whatever feels good.