HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

John, what shop are you talking about?

I'm putting air in my tires and headed out the door soon.  I wanted to get out earlier, but it was just too cold and not the best for an arthritic ankle's first outing in two months.  The sun is shining and it's gorgeous!  One more cup of coffee.

• Like 1

Congrats on riddance of the cast Vicki! Hope things go well and keep healing up!

Nice bike Jeff! Looks to be mid '70s?

EDIT: it is sunny and 25F here, light wind, no snow. Trying to talk myself into going out for 15-20 miles...

Edited by Pars
  • Like 1

^ mountain biking is definitely not for me.

I only made it seven miles, but I made it seven miles. I was hoping for ten, but my calf starting cramping a bit around mile three, so I knew it was time to turn around. I had just started developing muscle in my calf, but I pretty much lost it all (was able to slide my hand down my both casts, even after a week of each being put on, though they were tight at first), so that didn't surprise me. My ankle felt good until right about the time I was pulling into my neighborhood, then it started to object. Still, I'm hopeful. It was absolutely gorgeous out, and I enjoyed pedaling slowly around town, actually noticing a couple places I'd never seen before though had ridden by them daily. I'm just going to take my time getting back to things. I may have to learn how to clip and unclip with my left foot, but that, quite frankly, freaks me out. We'll see.

Jeff, I love that bike, but then, as you know, that's the type of bike I would. I hope it works for you.

Way to go Vicki! Was it your right ankle that you injured (hence the thinking about unclipping your left)?

Mike, sorry about the scrapes, but sounds like you had fun.

Me: weenied out and only did 8 miles. Actually got a bit hot in places. Wore my new Santini shorts (likey), a pair of tights with a pair of Nike running pants over them, an Adidas T, sweatshirt and Columbia fleece over that. I hadn't eaten anything and was feeling like I might bonk, so cut it off a bit short. Still nice to get out though (although not as nice as it was for Vicki to get out :) )

Vicki are you seeing a physiotherapist for strengthening?

Mike the battle scars will become common place. Shave your legs for faster wound healing :D

I bought a Race Face Ride stem, 6 cm. Very cheap, always wanted to try a shorter stem with higher rise.

Weirdly I can't use the img tags

post-236-0-22860900-1356288125_thumb.jpg

Nice Vicki, just go easy.

The scrapes are no big deal, its my left hip that is giving me the most trouble. I popped a Mobic and icing now. I'm hoping Gail wants to do a road ride later just to see if I can. I was able to ride a couple of miles on the trails after the fall so I'm hoping it's just a bruise and some swelling.

Chris, what is the temp?

Good to see you are back on the bike Vicki. 

This should be here in a couple of weeks.  I bought the bike and a lot of new accessories that I had been putting off for a while.  The wife has been very cool about the whole thing and told me to buy exactly what I wanted.  I explained that there are much more expensive builds but that I needed to ride a lot before I got to the point of needing a high-end build.  This one should last me for a long time and if I want I can always upgrade parts when needed. 

I'll post pics of me with it when it gets here so that my general fatassitude is known.  I made up my mind to lose the weight and by seeing constant reminders of what I look like to others I will be motivated to get smaller. 

AC72TTCC-XQ-SIDE-ORCABRVUSA.jpg

• Like 1

¿Orbea? ¿Chiquillo, tú de dónde eres?

If I understand right you are asking where I am from.  I live in Guatanamo Bay, Cuba on the Navy base.  I am originally from the states.  South Carolina to be  exact.

I am really excited about the bike.  I spent a lot of time researching and comparing and it was really a toss up between a couple of bikes.  I ended up with this one because of the component set.  One of my requirements was that it had a 11-32 cassette due to the terrain here.  Once I get some of the weight off and get a little more in shape I will most likely change to better components.  I am completely lusting after a set of MadFiber wheels but those will have to wait since they cost the more than the bike did.  

My wife is still giving me shit because I had to buy pedals.  Her comment was something like "for that much money they should at least give you a set of those Wal-mart pedals so you could ride it."  I just laughed and bought the ones I wanted anyway.

Edited by c12mech