HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

If I understand right you are asking where I am from.  I live in Guatanamo Bay, Cuba on the Navy base.  I am originally from the states.  South Carolina to be  exact.

I am really excited about the bike.  I spent a lot of time researching and comparing and it was really a toss up between a couple of bikes.  I ended up with this one because of the component set.  One of my requirements was that it had a 11-32 cassette due to the terrain here.  Once I get some of the weight off and get a little more in shape I will most likely change to better components.  I am completely lusting after a set of MadFiber wheels but those will have to wait since they cost the more than the bike did.  

My wife is still giving me shit because I had to buy pedals.  Her comment was something like "for that much money they should at least give you a set of those Wal-mart pedals so you could ride it."  I just laughed and bought the ones I wanted anyway.

I asked where you're from for the bike being made in Spain. It's a known brand among cyclists over here, but not that popular internationally, so I thought there was some chance you were from this side of the pond. Congratulations, it looks very nice :)

Just did 20 miles!  They were 20 slow miles, and by slow I mean it took me 1:40:42.  Still, I'm thrilled.  The ankle was fine, though it's stiffened up on me since getting home (not painful, just locked, which is wonderful as far as I'm concerned), the calf was fine, but what's funny is that my hamstring near my knee was the thing that was not liking me.  I'd forgotten that I hadn't been using that muscle either.  Oh well.  I was in a very easy gear, and just spun.  The thing that was most shocking is how quickly my conditioning went out the window.  Just two months ago, my heart rate would have been somewhere between 100 and 120 for what I was exerting today.  It was in the 140s most of the ride.  Damn.  Anyway, I'm back, bitches (as I think the kids are saying these days).  Too bad I have to work tomorrow.  The weather is perfect for nice, lazy, spins around town.  

• Like 1

Nice Vicki! The conditioning will come back fast enough. Gail and I went for a ride. My rear derailleur needs an adjustment. Whenever I stop pedaling, the chain running akin the top drops down. Almost into my wheel so I did 10 miles on the mountain bike on the road. I bought an Ion Pro Is for video using an Amazon gift card I forgot I had. I should have it by Thursday.

See if you can sneak in a quick ride tomorrow to work the stiffness out of your legs, even a half hour spin around the block will help.

Tomorrow, I'm going to get my ass kicked in mountain biking by a former world champion. 

My goal is not to get hospitalized since there's a big ride I'm going to on Friday.

That's a good idea, aerius. I have a workout scheduled at 5:30 three miles from my house. I could easily ride there and back.

Oh....almost forgot. I'm getting the Calfee fitted tomorrow after work. So many good things happening all at once! Can't tell you how happy I feel right now.

Nice toys, Nate. I got a $25 gift certificate to a local bike shop from my secret santa at work. Hoping they have the one gloves I actually like. If not, I'll pick up some gels in anticipation of longer rides coming soon.

• Like 1

Sweet Jebus, Jeff.

They're highly regarded from what I've read, which isn't much. My object of lust is one of the titanium lugged, carbon tube bikes that Independent Fabrication makes. We'll see how many miles I manage to put on the Roubaix is year. The goal is 2,000, which is going to be tough but maybe the light will help with that.

Firefly has really stood out as something I would like to own in my limited research.  I might have to go to the NAHBS show to investigate a bit more.  I am not going to buy a whole stable of customs like Mike so I need to choose wisely.

It did look great, but it was not a good fit.  It was really just for a once a year ride when I happened to be in Texas so for the right price I might have taken it but I thought it was too expensive for a bike to set unused 99% of the time.  Any new bike will share time with the R5 back home.

Jeff, I'm one who believes the best value can be usually be found in getting exactly what pleases you.  I've technically made some stupid, money-wise, purchases.  Funny that they're the ones I've never regretted, and are also the ones that still make me happy.  If I were looking into a ti bike, Firefly would be on or very close to the top of my list.  Check out Spectrum Cycles in PA.  http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/  Would also be on my very short list.  

It did look great, but it was not a good fit.  It was really just for a once a year ride when I happened to be in Texas so for the right price I might have taken it but I thought it was too expensive for a bike to set unused 99% of the time.  Any new bike will share time with the R5 back home.

Understood. What were they asking for it? I figured $1K would be the absolute most I would have gone for that, and that is high.

Maybe you should consider having SS couplers on your new bike? Would make travel with it easier (bike bag), and you wouldn't need to leave it in Texas.