HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

I just had a preliminary fit with the Calfee.  As suspected, it's a bit too large, but it's workable. Though the seat will be a tad lower than I would like, it's still above the bars.  I actually like the Vitesse seat, but we'll see once I get it off the trainer.  Right now, I'm getting new compact bars, and switching the stem out from 100m to 90m.  He put an 80 on to test drive what it may feel like once I have new bars, and it was a comfy reach.  I also picked up the Shimano Ultegra pedals, and will be switching out to same on my Gunnar.  I've worn through two sets of cleats in four months, and the Shimanos have that extra plastic that don't affect the clipping in mechanism like the Looks I was using do.  I also, per my request, and Vince is the first guy who actually said I was dead on, rather than I was wrong, I'm switching out my handlebars from 40 to 38s, and putting my original stem back on.  Three fitters kept saying I was holding my hands back because I needed a shorter reach, but I knew the reach was more than fine, but I was puttting my hands back because the handlebars were too wide.  I'm going to keep the Bontager wheels on for now, but may put the Enves on it if I end up liking the bike.  Depending on holiday shipping, etc. I'm going to have basically two new bikes by New Years.  

Jeff, why would you get a Calfee if you have the Cervelo?  Not that I would discourage you, but wouldn't you at least want to try a nice steel or ti ride?  JMHO. 

Have a call scheduled for next week with Tyler and Kevin at Firefly to get this process rolling.  Looking at the S&S couplers it would appear a hell of a lot of work has to go into packing and unpacking the bike each time so I am not sure I want to go with all the effort to save a bit on airline fees.

• Like 1

I'm a little bummed today.  I talked to the bike shop about my order to confirm my address and was told that a couple of things were on back order including the bike itself.  It's okay, I was just hoping to have it next week.  There are a couple of guys here that ride regularly that are always asking when i am getting a bike to ride with them.  This morning I saw one of them and the first thing he asked was if I had bought a bike yet.  When I told him yes and what I got he was impressed and wanted to know when it would be here so we could ride.  I know I'm going to get dropped by these guys after about 5 minutes of riding but it will be fun.  They are all in good shape and ride about 100 miles a week.  I'll be happy to make half that at first. 

I'm thinking about a Kirk or possibly a Moots Vamoots CR, although the gamble of not liking the ride of titanium after spending that much bucks is almost unbearable. My two frame experiment with carbon is over, metal being a closer fit for both my station and age. Five months is the most I'll wait.

I was looking at the Moots as I always wanted to try their MTBs. Seems like a more affordable entry into Ti.

Agree, affordable with high quality.

I had a Cervelo R3 and although it handled quicker than I prefer, it really put the power to the ground both in the flats and on the hills. Unfortunately it proved too stiff for my injured neck. I need a more forgiving frame.

Kirk is a 9-month wait to start the build. I'm guessing more like 10-11 for paint and/or full build. Parris would have more direct experience info. I'm looking at March, hopefully, to get mine started.

Jeff, are you getting a Firefly or not wanting the wait? I'm guessing wait periods will only get longer as they get more popular.

I haven't had time to check in much lately due to Christmas, work, etc.  Vicki I know I owe photos!  Also it's good to hear that you're back on the horse :dance: .  You may find that riding could help the ankle rehab. My Kirk was in the 9 month range time wise.  Dave is very very good and generous with his time and he will ask anyone who goes through the process a ton of questions about a multitude of your likes, dislikes, etc.  The actual fitting info was probably among the more streamlined parts of the process when it comes to hard numbers for you to provide.  If I remember correctly once Dave got to my spot and final options were set I think Dave had the frame actually built in the space of a week.  The frame then went to Joe Bell for paint which was in my case I believe roughly 6-8 weeks.  Joe will contact you once it's time to    paint the frame and he will also ask you many questions as well as offer color/design help if you want it.  

If you think about many custom items 9 months isn't out of bounds at all.  One thing... Get the Terraplane option!  It's worth the extra cost for how it keeps the back end planted on rough stuff.

You're very welcome.  I raced with Dave many years ago and have wanted him to build me a frame since his days with Serotta.  There were WAY to many years that I had stopped riding given how life is which looking back on things makes it so I appreciate riding more now than I believe I ever could have if I hadn't stopped for those years.  

Nate, they sometimes have great deals, but not usually stuff I'm interested in, though that might not be true for you.  Lots of outdoorsie stuff.  I've gotten some really cute Columbia blouses for something 80% off.  The gels are under a buck apiece, and that's a pretty good deal.  I'm not big on gels, and prefer Accel 2nd Surge if I gotta.  

Since I'm on my new diet kick, and am looking into different foods for on the bike, one of my Crossfit friends, who is a marathon runner, recommended these for training.  

http://www.peterrabbitorganics.com/

It's organic baby food, but in pouches.  Seems you can get them even at Walmart.  I might try.

Didn't get on the bike this weekend.  The cold froze my ankle up, and I was feeling lazy.  Bad combo.  It probably would have done my ankle a bit of good to get it moving, even if doing only 10 miles.  

Just got back from a 23-mile ride (for the FL folk- from my house to Palmetto and back), which is really only my second ride (I'm not counting the 7-mile starter one), since I got my cast off.  There was an unpleasant wind, with 16-20 mph gusts going south, and I was just about to turn around when my trainer pulled up next to me and made me do seven more miles :)   Going south, I was doing about 11-14 mph and, again, my heart rate was in the 150s, even got up to the 160, which freaked me out a bit, but headed back home, I was going 14-16 mph, and my heart rate was mostly in the low 130s.  My cadence sucked both directions, though I was in very easy gears.  I feel like I did the first months of having a bike.  

So, if I'm going to use Sunday as my starting day, my goal for this week is 60 miles.  I'm going to ride to my two workout sessions (3 miles each way), and get another 25 in, hopefully on Saturday.  If I can get up to doing 30-40 miles in 18/19-ish mph mile zone, I'll be ready to ride with you guys again.  I'm hoping for a month from now.  

Getting the Calfee tomorrow!  Excited, though it's so damn light, I'd be afraid to ride in the wind I was in today with it.  I'd be blown away.

• Like 2