HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Yeah, I'll echo the above and add that I can't imagine running a close ratio cassette with the hills around here or if I was just starting to get into cycling.  Cut yourself some slack and pickup the largest spread that your rear derailleur will accommodate.  If you don't have a compact crank (50/34), pick one of those up too.

That was a typo.  It should say 11-32.  I have a compact crankset(50/34).  I have friends here that ride Dura-Ace and Sram Red setups with tight ratios and they have a tough time with the hills even being in really good shape.  i purposefully bought a ower level drive train just so I could have the gear spread on the cassette.  It works well for 95% of the riding here.  There are some spots it would be nice to have that third crank ring like my mountain bike had but I will get by with what I have for now.  I make a point no to ride the really steep hills yet.  Hopefully in a couple of months. 

I really do wish I had a shop to get a fit done.  I keep making small changes and can usually tell within a minute or two whether they were right or not.  I fit does not feel right I go back home and fix it before continueing.  Hope fully my new shoues and stem will get here first of next week and then I should be as close as I can get it on my own. 

Went out for about 5 miles this morning before work.  Two steep, for me at least, climbs involved.  I can tell that I am getting stronger.  I am making a point to take it slow this time and not overdo it.  I'm working up to the "Tour de Fence" ride that they do here each year.  It is a 28 mile ride around the perimeter of the base along the fence that divides us and Cuba proper.  I've wanted to do it since I got here and I think this year I can make it.

c12mech (wth is your real name?) and miguel, I'm enjoying reading your posts, and getting excited for both of you.  Even small "hills" kill me and one of my goals for this year, if I can actually start riding again, is to learn how to ride hills.

I got back on the Computrainer on Monday, and was able to do more.  I have another session scheduled for Friday, and if that goes well, I definitely want to ride outside this weekend.

Nice c-dale, pigmode.

I, too, want to see that DeSalvo built up, Jeff.  Very nice.

Traveling quite a bit but I hope to get everything together while Colin is here for whatever ride we are able to get together.  I think Nebby will be coming down and since Dinny is coming down I will have to figure out how to get him on a bike as well.  Hopefully Chris and Juan will be able to ride along as well.  Really need HC jerseys.  

Nate beat me to my own name.  I think I posted it in the old thread but don't remember right now. 

Nice bikes for both you guys.  I really want to see that De Salvo built up.  I like the orange headset and hope other parts match.

Edited by c12mech

I feel your pain Miguel.  My legs are not bothering me near as much as I thought they would.  My ass, on the other hand, is still trying to get used to the morning proctology exam.  I know better times are coming as I have already noticed that I feel a lot better during the day and I am down 10 pounds since the first of the year.  My wife and I both have weight loss goals set throughout the year and so far I am on track to meet mine. 

Miguel, my first ride, about a year ago, lasted only three miles at about 10 mph, and I had to stop as my vision started blurring. Right now, I'm only able to ride in the easiest gear, going very slowly, for about 30-40 minutes. Prior to my dunk tank incident, I was able to do 80+ miles in one ride and a fairly decent speed. It took me only two months off the bike to lose most of my conditioning. You've been off for years. You're doing great!