HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Do you guys have any suggestions as to how to go about finding a seat that may be better suited for me.  My old bike had a 150mm wide seat and it was not comfortabe either.  The one on the new bike is actually much  more comfortable than the old one.  It has a cutout in the center which does relieve a lot of pressure.  I feel very little if any pain in my sit bones. 

Thanks for the encouraging words guys and gals! Besides cycling a couple of times a week I am also walking about 20 miles a week. I mention this to brag a little, not about the exercising but about being down 71 lbs (was at 298 lbs and now at 227 lbs). It has been slow but that is ok, now another 55 lbs more and …

Do you guys have any suggestions as to how to go about finding a seat that may be better suited for me.  My old bike had a 150mm wide seat and it was not comfortabe either.  The one on the new bike is actually much  more comfortable than the old one.  It has a cutout in the center which does relieve a lot of pressure.  I feel very little if any pain in my sit bones. 

My new LBS is run by a guy that is an amazing fitter and I just went through 8 or so saddles trying to get one that fit right. His advice was once you got one that made your sit bones happy stick with it. You can tweak angle, height and front back position to address other issues. 

Last time I switched saddles, the process ran through about $1k in saddles including buying selling one twice (duh). It took several months and can't quite say the one I settled on is comfortable, but it gets out of the way with no discomfort for *hard* rides up to 6.5 hr (so far). Occasional discomfort sets in on moderate pace rides that go over 2.5 hr, especially at the end of a high mileage week.<br /><br />

Just got back from this mornings ride.  I planned on taking it easy since ai was not feeling great this morning.  Once I started going I go to feeling better and ended up riding pretty hard.  Not the longest ride but definately the hardest I've done yet due to the couple of climbs I did.  I was going to post the Garmin information but cannot get it to work right now. 

As to my seat issue, the only area of discomfort I have is actually not at my sitbones but in the area forward of them.  I'm made a tilt adjustment the other day and it seems to have helped a little.  i don't fell like a I am sitting on my nuts anymore at least.  

The reason you don't have pain in your sit bones is because they are spaced farther than the seat is wide so no weight is being absorbed by them. The pressure will be relieved greatly if you get the right seat. The stock seat on most road bikes will most likely not be the right seat for a big guy.

You should think about making a DIY sit bone measuring device since you do not have a shop. At my shop you sit on some cushion that indents at your sit bones and then you measure to figure out our seat size. Most seats seem to be around 134 but you can find them at 144, 155 and 165 pretty easily if you look.

I am going to try something like that tonight when I get home.  I have some memory foam laying around and just need to find it. 

Does anyone know if the Brooks saddles will support my weight.  They look nice and I have heard a lot of people say good things about them but I don't want to get one only to have it stretch out after a few rides and not be usable anymore.

I wouldn't imagine they would be Ari.

The Calfee showed up.  What a massive undertaking it is to take the ballistic nylon off of every piece of the bike.  I have 34 pieces of nylon shaped to cover all of the bike.  

I have everything together except the brakes.  Need to figure out how to adjust road bike brakes to fit properly.  When connected the rear brakes are locked down and the front brake pads are so close together I can't even get the wheels to fit between them.

i-wrFvzBh-X2.jpg

• Like 1

Nice bike Jeff. Sounds like you may have to release the brake cable at the brake and start the course adjustment from there. I usually have my fine adjustment set so I have a small amount of loosening available but mostly the ability to tighten things up after the course adjustment is done.