HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

^LOL that's great!  Vicki thanks for posting the photos ^-^. The photo of the fast back seat stays with the messed up seat post was from when I was building the bike and I didn't want to mess up the new post so a dummy was used while it was in the rack.  A couple of the other posters brought up good points about the new bike and pt as well as the overall enjoyment the bike could very well bring even on short rides.  I didn't "need" a new bike and especially full custom to boot.  I don't ride nearly the miles I once did and my other road bikes are both very good.  But I WANTED a new bike since getting back into the sport a few years ago and at least in my case if I was going to go through the effort I wanted it to be something that was built for me.  Oh and unless a good bike gets wadded up in a crash they last for a very long time.  

Well, I had a little time this weekend so I mounted my spring tires on my spare wheelset.  I'm getting pretty fired up to get back out on the road when the weather improves.  Unfortunately mother nature has seen fit to drop a decent amount of snow lately which isn't appreciated but not so much that a week's worth of decent weather can't dispatch it. 

Started physical therapy today.  It's too bad I had to wait to get injured to do this.  Not only is he dealing with my bad ankle, he took one look at my sucky other foot, and said, "you don't need orthodics, you need hip exercises," tested my left hip, which is apparently scary week, and gave me some things to do so stop the extreme pronation.  Stupid freaking podiatrist said I must have diabetes, since he'd never seen only one foot so bad in someone who didn't.  Anyway, I'm really very hopeful today.  Did pedaling drills on the Computrainer this morning, and am actually going to try some interval stuff on Wednesday.

• Like 2

Sounds like you found a good PT Vicki.  Good luck with the therapy.

I have been having a good time riding the new bike and all was good until I hit a very little rock today and all of a sudden i hear the dreaded hiss.  Luckily it was only about 150 yards to my house so not as bad as it could have been.  Walking in the bike shoes sucks though.  I have to replace the tire as well as the tube since there is a small hole in the side of the tire where the rock cut through.  Needless to say I was pissed.  I am almost to the 100 mile mark for the month and am very happy with that.  The weight is coming off slowly which is cool too.  12lbs so far for the year. 

Any sugestions for some tought road tires.  The current ones are what came with the bike and have really thin side walls and I would like something that can stand a little abuse if ned be.

Any sugestions for some tought road tires.  The current ones are what came with the bike and have really thin side walls and I would like something that can stand a little abuse if ned be.

See if you can find some Specialized Armadillo tires somewhere.  They're heavy, they don't have the greatest ride by any means, but they're seriously tough.  The shop I used to work for sold a ton of them to commuters and we rarely ever saw a flat on one of them.  Continental Gatorskins work too but the sidewalls on them aren't as tough, they are lighter and ride nicer though so that's the tradeoff between them.

Thanks for the info aerius.  One fo the guys I know that rides here just put some of the Armadillo tires on his bike.  I will see how they work for him.  He is a much more aggresive rider than I am.  I already placed an order just to get something on the way that I can ride with.  Since my birthday is coming up I may ask for these as well.  Not having an LBS really sucks when stuff breaks.

557387_10151045432938549_1029378188_n.jp

Here's my Bianchi. Thinking about adding something carbon to the stable soon for variety.

See if you can find some Specialized Armadillo tires somewhere.  They're heavy, they don't have the greatest ride by any means, but they're seriously tough.  The shop I used to work for sold a ton of them to commuters and we rarely ever saw a flat on one of them.  Continental Gatorskins work too but the sidewalls on them aren't as tough, they are lighter and ride nicer though so that's the tradeoff between them.

I haven't tried the Armadillos but I ride Gatorskins and have never had a flat with them despite riding on some pretty shitty roads. Veeery highly recommended.

• Like 1

X2 on the Gatorskins.  I had 28s, got a slit, but no flat, now have 25s and have put over 1500 miles on them with no flats.  

Congrats on the weight loss.  I lost 26 pounds since the injury, and though I took a break from dieting, I've maintained that loss for six weeks (up one pound) but have been eating more calories than I was before.  Go figure.  I'm going to start a second diet round next week, and hoping to drop the last 20-25 I need to get off my ankle.  I've been eating 95% paleo with a couple happy cheat meals thrown in. Just had some lobster mac and cheese tonight.  Makes me think I should just stay a fat person.  

Nice Bianchi, new person. 

• Like 1

Today was just about perfect for a bike ride.  After spending way too long trying to find all my gear that was all over the house since I have not been on the road bikes in weeks I made it out.  Thought I had everything until I started the ride and realized I had not topped off the tire pressure before leaving.  Pressure was of course a bit low so it ended up being a much shorter ride than I anticipated.  I guess I need to get back into the swing of things so I remember the little things like flat tires do not make for a good ride.  At least I was able to take a ride pic.

i-B7ZTRN5-X2.jpg

• Like 3

Jeff, that looks like it would be the rubik's cube of bikes to reassemble once it is broken down.

Shelly, years ago when I rode armadillos I found them to be pretty resistant to thorns and broken glass.  If small thorns and broken glass are your main threat you might consider this--

http://www.jensonusa.com/!Xp-qM9OC!WbEK6yCgITztA!/Slime-Tire-Liners?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=COiG-8ai2LUCFQLznAodqjsAzQ  or

http://www.rei.com/product/732611/slime-tire-sealant-16-oz?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-732611&mr:referralID=c70234cd-8167-11e2-8751-001b2166c2c0 if you run schrader "regular looking tube stem" tubes or

http://www.sunandski.com/Slime_Lite_Presta_Valve_26_inch_Bicycle_Tube_p/7745057583212.htm?gclid=CLe-8J-j2LUCFQ-xnQodxlYAEg  for prest valve tubes. that look like the racing tire tubes.