HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Congrats, Brent!  Get riding!

I did another 20 miles this morning.  Still slow, but felt good.  I also got a freaking ticket for $166 for failing to yield to pedestrians right near Atlantic.  What's messed up is that I had latched on to a group of about 20 people, and I wasn't even at the end, but saw a mother and two small girls waiting near the crosswalk, and I slowed down, unclipped and was waiting to see what they were doing, so the group zoomed on.   The mother was holding the hand of the younger, about two, and clearly not interested in crossing the street, as she was bent over talking to the little one.  Meanwhile the older girl, about four, takes off into the street.  I yell, and the mother leaves the one and runs out and grabs the other, but since I wasn't at a complete stop, and had yelled, drawing attention to myself, I get pulled over.  Meanwhile, literally dozens of cyclists are blowing through the light and the crosswalk without even bothering look right in front of us, and I get a ticket, in my opinion, for being stupid enough to separate myself from the group, slow down and care about that kid.  No, I did not come to a full stop.  Yes, I did swerve into the street to avoid the kid, but it was pretty clear I had one foot off the pedal already, and was yielding.  Azzhole could have given me a warning.  Not sure how to even deal with this since it's considered a moving violation and could affect my license, insurance, etc.  Bah.

My friend Marc convinced me that it'd be a good idea to do 20 today, despite the temps and winds.  For me that meant 35 since I rode up to meet him rather than drive.  The temp reading on the Garmin is way high, so I included the local weather graphic from Garmin's site which is much more accurate (temps in the high 20s, wind chill in the mid teens).  Other than frozen toes it was a great ride.

149247444.jpg

• Like 1

I'm using eggbeater pedals and Bontrager Race DLX shoes. Both pretty inexpensive but when I bought the shoes they were the most comfortable I tried on, and by no small margin. BTW, nice bike!

Thanks for the advice, Jim, but I meant to say that I think I want to get some mtn shoes.  As much as I'd like to have 2 shoes and specific pedals for each, I think I'd like the option to run, say, Egg Beaters (what I used to run back in the day) on the road bike, and then have another set on the mtn bike.  It's not a big deal to have mtn shoes on a road bike, but other way around? :)

I'm not up to clipless on the hardtail yet, but eventually, sure.  The extra drag from mtn shoes won't matter relative to, you know, "the engine."

**BRENT**

Thanks for the advice, Jim, but I meant to say that I think I want to get some mtn shoes.  As much as I'd like to have 2 shoes and specific pedals for each, I think I'd like the option to run, say, Egg Beaters (what I used to run back in the day) on the road bike, and then have another set on the mtn bike.  It's not a big deal to have mtn shoes on a road bike, but other way around? :)

I'm not up to clipless on the hardtail yet, but eventually, sure.  The extra drag from mtn shoes won't matter relative to, you know, "the engine."

**BRENT**

No problem. I run the Crank Bros candy on the MTB and my main shoes on that are my Keen Commuter II sandals. Also not too expensive but they run a bit narrow compared to my regular Keen sandals. I like being able to use any shoe with either bike.

I used to use CrankBros Egg Beaters when they first came out.  I think I had the second pair in town.  I think I may just wait around and see if I can find a deal on them.  Another option is to get some SPDs.

OK, Shimano M520L for 27$, and the M530 Trail for 34$.  Hmmm... maybe I'll just get a combo of those.  M530 Trail  seems to be well thought of, in comparison to the XT and XTR Trail versions.

**BRENT**

Edit: Nate, you're insane.

Edited by MexicanDragon

Yeah, the M520s are about 5.6oz lighter/pair than the M530 Trails (which are still a good bit lighter than my flats.  I'm thinking, for 11$ more than ONE pair of Egg Beaters, that's a killer combo.  Now to find some shoes (and kick myself for not combining shipping from the bike purchase, but I think these prices are new, I'm sure I would've noticed that last night).

**BRENT**