HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Nate, back in the day, I rocked Specialized Team Mountain shoes. 200$ list, paid 50$ for the last pair that a shop had, on the last day it was in business.  Wish I could still get stupid deals like that, and I can't believe I didn't even think of those guys.

Justin, the two Shimano pedals I posted are both good, and around half price right now.  If you wanted to grab a pair to try for the future, I'd look at the M530 Trails.  For 34$, worth having around when you feel up to it.  They're probably about SLX level, if you look at it that way (one step down from XT).

I haven't really seen Specialized shoes online, will have to look harder.  I'd love to go to a shop to pick something up but in my size (12 Wide, probably a 46 in a shoe), I hardly EVER see a shoe that will fit me (I've been shopping for dress shoes for a couple weeks, and I haven't found a worthwhile pair locally yet, out of about 12 stores.)

**BRENT**

Justin I have the Specialized S-works road and MTB shoes. They are by far the most comfortable shoes I have found. I have Sidi MTB shoes also but the S-works are so much better.

I have XTR pedals laying all around the house if you want to try them.

Hmmm... I seem to remember that verbage almost verbatim in the reviews.  Did you post a review there? :)

Well, the 520s are a bit cheaper and a bit lighter than the 530s, so I think I'm going to give them a shot, though it IS tempting to try 530s on both.  I wonder if the 530 is more like the 520 or 540.  Any ideas?

**BRENT**

Justin,

Maybe just start out with some Powergrips on the stock pedals (not sure what those are). Either that, or put some toe clips on, though I don't know how well those will work with non-smooth soled shoes. Might be hard to get into.

power-grip.jpg

full_pedals.jpg

Justin has those pedals.  Brand new Shimano Saint pedals. These JUST came out, and from the looks of it, they're pretty damn good.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/Tested-2013-Shimano-Saint-Brakes-Derailleur-Cranks-and-More,118

There's a blurb at the bottom.  I think if he just gets a 5.10 shoe, or something grippy like that, you'll be doing fine.  If you want to go clipless, plenty of options that way too.  You probably want to go to a few shops and try shoes on to get ones that fit, though, if you go that way.

**BRENT**

i need to learn this pedals/shoes thing.  whats the one to get for someone who is afraid of having feet attached?

The easiest-to-release pedal (IMO) are the Speedplay Frogs; I've been trail riding with them for a decade or more. To release, you simply turn your heal out and lift; there is literally no spring tension to pull against (biggest issue with other types). Entry is the same as other clipless types.

I have a roadie friend that was new to clipless, tried several spring release versions and hated them all; resisted riding. Put these on her bike and she was on the road and comfortable in no time.

The cleats are all universal and fit any biking shoe with a cleat receiver, so just find any shoe that's comfortable and fits the performance profile you are looking for (stiffer equals better energy transfer, etc.). I'm trails-only so use more of a hiking boot design with ankle protection; velcro closures.

Speedplay also makes a road version, but the cleats are huge and hard to walk in.

i need to learn this pedals/shoes thing.  whats the one to get for someone who is afraid of having feet attached?

The pedals you have are just fine.  Ride them for a couple months while you get used to your new bike and get the suspension and everything else dialed in.  At the end of that time, think about what you like or don't like about the pedals (and everything else) and what you need for your bike to do what you want.  Swapping parts on a bike which you've barely ridden around the block is just throwing money away.

Frogs have a huge amount of float (20 degrees to release outward, 6 degrees inward) which would make them a no go for me (I hate float). I have a hard time releasing outward on my right leg, which is the one I unclip, so I normally go inwards to unclip. I know, you're supposed to go outwards...

You would need to try some pedals to see what you prefer as far as float, release, etc.

EDIT: and true dat what aerius just said... ride it.

Edited by Pars

I had a similar problem releasing my right foot.

Changing the angle of the cleat helped but the outside of my foot would become sore on long rides so I ordered the wedges from Amazon.

They're kind of a rip when you open the package and see what you got but they did help so....

http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Fit-Wedges-SPD-Pedals/dp/B004E3OTDS/

I can see where road riding might be better with less/no float; better straight-line energy transfer. For technical terrain, I found that having some float makes track stands and other technical technique easier (ass all over the place to maintain balance); not to mention easier to disengage during a blown hill climb or technical section. Justin's question was which was easiest to disengage; still think Frogs are the answer.

Agree that trying various brands is a good start; reads like we all have spares of various sorts. Justin - I have a spare set of Frog platforms I can send you; just need to order the cleats. Cost you 35 bucks plus the cost of a good pedal wrench (which you'll want anyway). PM if interested.

Disagree that you should wait. I've taught a good number of folks technical riding and got them into clipless fairly quickly. Better use of energy (pull up while pushing down); ability to unweight the bike on rubble and float over, bunny hop stuff; loft front wheel over logs and unweight back; list goes on. And yes, you will come to a stop and fall over at least a few times, we all did. Find a cheap trainer/stand to get used to the feel and engage/disengage without looking down.

Cages or straps on regular platforms are deathtraps on tech terrain, and other riders will laugh in your general direction.

I can see where road riding might be better with less/no float; better straight-line energy transfer. For technical terrain, I found that having some float makes track stands and other technical technique easier (ass all over the place to maintain balance); not to mention easier to disengage during a blown hill climb or technical section. Justin's question was which was easiest to disengage; still think Frogs are the answer.

Agree that trying various brands is a good start; reads like we all have spares of various sorts. Justin - I have a spare set of Frog platforms I can send you; just need to order the cleats. Cost you 35 bucks plus the cost of a good pedal wrench (which you'll want anyway). PM if interested.

Disagree that you should wait. I've taught a good number of folks technical riding and got them into clipless fairly quickly. Better use of energy (pull up while pushing down); ability to unweight the bike on rubble and float over, bunny hop stuff; loft front wheel over logs and unweight back; list goes on. And yes, you will come to a stop and fall over at least a few times, we all did. Find a cheap trainer/stand to get used to the feel and engage/disengage without looking down.

Cages or straps on regular platforms are deathtraps on tech terrain, and other riders will laugh in your general direction.

if a pedal wrench is what i think it is, i may need it.  i found my wrench was too fat to properly tighten the pedals i have now

Hey guys.  My friend Troy is selling his FairWheelBikes/Form Cycles NAHBS 2012 bike.  It's big, about a 61cm, but Chris, you need a Ti bike, no?  Take a look, and if you know anyone who may be interested, LMK, and I'll get people in touch.

FYI, this is the guy who built some wheels for Jeff's Niner.

complete_01.jpg

complete_02.jpg

detail_01.jpg

detail_08.jpg

detail_17.jpg

More pix here.

**BRENT**

OK, the M530 Trails went down 2$, and I got free shipping.  One pair of 530 Trails, one pair of 520L.  For 5$ more, I should've just gotten 2 530 Trails, but it was like, 75 grams heaver, and that's make or break in recreational/fitness/enjoyment riding, no?

Oh, Nashbar is doing free shipping  on your entire order when you order anything Nashbar branded, including water bottle bolts that run 99 cents. (I picked up the velcro leg-band set for 2.49, which would actually useful.

Now, to just pick up some shoes that fit.  Oh, bike comes in Wednesday, shipped out this morning.

**BRENT**