HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Yes, but it depends on if I have to use the decals as the are, in which case I'll have to abandon my idea, or if Joe and/or Dave are willing to do something along the lines of a stencil version of it, where I can choose the color. I want to do a tone on tone panel with only the KIRK standing out. I've only seen pics with the decals. I dislike all the options. If I have to use the exact decals, I have zero idea what color to go with because everything I like would look horrible with them. I'm not going to think about it for now, but enjoy the rest of the process. I'll deal with that when the time comes, but I'll admit I'm a bit nervous as I'm pretty in love with my idea, and don't want to settle for something I don't like.

Great to see your Kirk getting close to being reality, Vicki! 

Pigmode, I saw elsewhere that you posted about the Deda Newton Shallow bar and that you like it. I'm considering trying those and moving from the Spesh Short and Shallow I have right now (similar to a Deda Zero). I like my current bar but I want a little more drop in the drops and I really dig the Newton Shallow shape. Question is: When mounting Shimano levers to the Newton Shallow, will I get a little dip from the top of bar to the hoods? If so, it is even that big of a deal having that dip? I like resting my forearms flat on area where the hood and bar meet. 

Great to see your Kirk getting close to being reality, Vicki! 

Pigmode, I saw elsewhere that you posted about the Deda Newton Shallow bar and that you like it. I'm considering trying those and moving from the Spesh Short and Shallow I have right now (similar to a Deda Zero). I like my current bar but I want a little more drop in the drops and I really dig the Newton Shallow shape. Question is: When mounting Shimano levers to the Newton Shallow, will I get a little dip from the top of bar to the hoods? If so, it is even that big of a deal having that dip? I like resting my forearms flat on area where the hood and bar meet.

Raffy, The more the "dip" is eliminated, the farther down the end of the bar points. Here's my Deda 215 Shallow, with is the 26mm version of the (31.8mm) Newton Shallow. Its mounted moderately low and feels like it will be pretty comfortable for my riding style.

Many want a flat hood to bar transition these days, I have that set up on my Pegoretti and on the (unfinished) CAAD 10. Thanks for bringing it up, I really should get a Newton for my Pegoretti, which will make upshifting on sprints easier with the Campy shifters where my hand needs to be jammed up to the bottom of the hoods.

8342084041_852b161384_b.jpg

Schwinn1 by pigmode, on Flickr

Thanks, looks like if you mount the levers and point the bar lower, the better the transition and the more reachable the brake levers are from the drops. Am I understanding that correctly?

If you point the bar end to or close to the rear axle, then you can have the "flat ramp" from the hood to the handlebars. Not sure but I think the flat ramp moves the lever away from the drops, compared to the set up in my pic. The Deda shallow *seems* to put the levers closer to the bars overall, than my Deda Zero100.

24 degrees this morning, the wind's been howling for the last few days, and there was snow on the cars.  I wonder what we did to piss off mother nature.

Yeah, it was very much like middle of December today. Thankfully it supposed to be in the mid 50s on Thursday so I've got a nice ride planned for after work.

If you point the bar end to or close to the rear axle, then you can have the "flat ramp" from the hood to the handlebars. Not sure but I think the flat ramp moves the lever away from the drops, compared to the set up in my pic. The Deda shallow *seems* to put the levers closer to the bars overall, than my Deda Zero100.

Thanks. Looking at your picture, I think I can work with that bar to hood transition. 

Rode 24 miles today with pretty stiff winds. It was around 80 degrees and sunny today so I had to double up my electrolytes to keep up with the heat. I had salt crud all over my gear, particularly my helmet. Otherwise I'm really happy to be putting in the miles early in the "season". I feel so much more in cycling shape today than last month when I was struggling to find time to ride.

Edited by raffy

I don't remember the name of the site but the person who runs it put out the measurements for many popular bars.  things that were included were the amount of drop, how far forward the reach was, things like that.  You may be able to find a few pages from the different manufacturers or parts distributors so that you can get a ball park idea for the different shapes.  I found that the Deda zero 100 bars that I've got now work better than the fsa bars that are on one of my other bikes due not only to the shallow overall drop but also the curvature that the company uses with that particular bar.  The good/confusing thing is that there are just so many really fine bars on the market it's easy to get a little twisted when shopping.  

I don't remember the name of the site but the person who runs it put out the measurements for many popular bars.  things that were included were the amount of drop, how far forward the reach was, things like that.  You may be able to find a few pages from the different manufacturers or parts distributors so that you can get a ball park idea for the different shapes.  I found that the Deda zero 100 bars that I've got now work better than the fsa bars that are on one of my other bikes due not only to the shallow overall drop but also the curvature that the company uses with that particular bar.  The good/confusing thing is that there are just so many really fine bars on the market it's easy to get a little twisted when shopping.  

This it?

And very cool Vicki. Neat to see what kinda jigs a great builder like Dave has rigged up to hold everything in alignment while brazing! Nice fork! Would look right at home on my bike :lol:

Bingo!  Thanks for posting the link.  The jigs that Dave uses are Anvil brand frame and fork jigs and I think they may be put out by Don Walker but I can't be 100% on that info.

Vicki that's a petite head tube!  It's always cool to see the progress photos that Dave supplies :-)

And very cool Vicki. Neat to see what kinda jigs a great builder like Dave has rigged up to hold everything in alignment while brazing! Nice fork! Would look right at home on my bike :laugh:

Great builder and humble. He even keeps his shop comparatively humble, and he maintains very high standards. Got to get one.

Wow1  This thread has exploded with great stuff in my absence.  Where to start? 

- love seeing the new bike come together, Vicki, and glad you are feeling so well.

- great mileage, Raffy .  why not do it in a straight line, and drive down to Mr Beery's?

- Jeff, Chris, Nate, Brent, Pigmode, and others, hope warm weather arrives early in the north land.

- Chris (pars) great restore on the Trek.

- Brent, happy for your new ride.

Ok, as for me, my ass hurts.  I need advice on padded underwear or shorts.  I am a serious non lycra guy, so no fancy, showy stuff.  Just something to keep my butt from aching.  Any suggestions for brands or features to look for?

Edited by agile_one

Gene,

No brand advice but try a trip to the LBS to see what they have for padded MTB shorts.  That's what I used for a while, but they still have internal lycra of a sort to keep the padding in the right place.  You should be able to find something in a ninja black.

Dave's been a car guy since before he and I knew each other years ago.  The Elise is the latest in a long line of cars that he's saved and worked on.  Although it looks like a shiny new penny It's not close to being new and like anything else he traded up for this one several years ago.  So don't let the photo tell you something that isn't...