HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

You know it's unsettling what you just wrote because I was thinking essentially the same thing!  When I had mine built the hardest choice I made was color.  I flip flopped between the yellow I've got and Moltini orange literally for the 6 or so weeks before Joe Bell contacted me.  

You know Vicki you could always sell some of your audio gear to fund such a worthy item... :)   I'm going to duck now.

• Like 1

guzziguy - hope your niece heals up well & quickly.

Vicki/Jeff - nice racks. Want.

pigmode - jealous of your locale.

Btw, my wife was gifted an older, Canadian-made Miele road bike from a a former iron-woman competitor friend. The white pearl paint has seen a lot of miles, but it's not too bad & the original Miele decals are about 90% intact. It seems the accompanying mishmosh of components have been swapped in at various points along the way:

- Shimano Tiagra derailleurs (older version)
- Wolber GTX (France) front rim
- Ambrosio Extra 19 (Italy) rear rim
- Continental Ultra Sport tires

Everything on it works well. The problem is the frame is too big for my wife & too small for me. So the plan is to either sell it outright or trade it in to mitigate the cost of new road bikes for both of us (all with the original owner's blessing). When we had it tuned up & the clipless pedals removed for standard pedals last year, the mechanics at the LBS seemed interested in buying it out from under us. No official offers we made at the time, & we went on our way.

Anyone have an idea what would be a reasonable range to accept for such a bike? We just want to be sure we aren't being raked.

TIA.

Edited by jpelg

My niece got the results of her MRI.  It's a good news, bad news result.  The good news is that her patella is fine.  The bad news is that her tibia is broken just below the knee.  So it looks like she'll be in a full leg cast for 3 months.  At least her spirits are high.

That sucks about the broken tibia.  Glad she is okay otherwise. 

I'm soooo temped to get in on the Kirk deal.  I'm sure it would lead to a very "Serious" discussion when my wife returns from her current business trip.  I can hear it now, "You bought what? 5K for a bike frame and nothing on it? Are you nuts?"  My only response would be that it is my 40th birthday gift to myself.  At which point I may not make it to 41.  Actually if I asked nicely she might let me do it.  Stranger things have happened.

Today, my frame got Fed Exed to Joe Bell.  Today, Dave announces this:

Saw that. Decided to send my deposit in a month or so, but for a JKS or his standard custom. Since I've decided to postpone my Haleakala ride this year, maybe I could do it on a Kirk, which would be cool. Edited by pigmode

Anyone have an idea what would be a reasonable range to accept for such a bike? We just want to be sure we aren't being raked.

I really have no idea, but I've seen them on Craig's List here for anywhere between $250 to $1000, with the latter seeming waaay to high, even though reportedly in excellent condition.  

Ken, I'd take the broken tibia over a damaged knee if I had a choice.  Still sucks, but glad it's not worse.  Three months does seem a little long for being in a cast for a broken bone.

Agree with Parris... the frame is the most important part, then the components. I would guess somewhere in the $250-$350 range. Miele's aren't particularly in demand. I don't know if you posted pics in your original post or not. Drive side pics if you do.

Antonio and Vicky, three months sounds long to me too.  However, it's both for the tibia and broken ankle.  I have no details as to the severity of either breaks.

I see. It's possible she's still growing and the fracture comprises some of the growth plates, which is more delicate. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, hopefully they find a faster consolidation and can remove the cast earlier.

I've been getting out a little even though the weather's been a little   moist lately and until a couple of days ago I had been riding either my RB-1 or mountain bike because of a lot of road salt still on the roads around here.  It was finally nice enough to break out the Kirk and although I've been perfectly happy turning pedals with the other bikes the Kirk really does just make me smile that much more :) !  It just seems more focused and precise.  Of course yesterday and today we're back to rain and mid 40's so it's back to the bike with fenders...  

I've actually been scoping out a JKS that's been one of the other boards that's for sale and it's close to how my particular frame measures.  

I have to say the Head Case Cycling meet is going to be a pretty sweet bike show at the rate the people here are going.

Think I am going to take the DeSalvo out  tomorrow, flat pedals and all.  Hopefully all the Spandex people won't laugh at me too much.   ;D

• Like 1

pigmode, did you get the anniversary Kirk or go for the regular one you were getting anyway?

No, too pricey for me that one. Will probably go with the regular ("full custom"), with an outside chance on a JKS which is again more than I'd like to spend. I'll have to say that Dave is the only builder I'd pay that much for a frame.