HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

One more glamour shot. New red cables, drivetrain was ultrasonically cleaned (it was filthy when I brought it in) and new-to-me Deda Campione bars and my favorite tape: Zipp Service Course CX. Tires were both changed recently too.

You bring a dirty bike into a shop? Isn't that like a major faux pas?

Funny enough, they didn't complain the day I brought it in. Perhaps because stripping and cleaning the drivetrain was part of the $105 they charged for the labor package. The next day, I brought it in to have one of the brake cables shortened as it was rubbing my Garmin mount and they lightly gave me shit about the EFS residue that I dripped on the FD and bottom bracket.

The more I read about Dave Kirk, the more I want one of his bikes.  Just sounds like a good guy.

I am now just waiting for my new wheels.  I decided to go with Brent's friend Troy for the build.  He has come up with a cool, at least I think so, solution to the weight the wheels have to carry.  I will post pics when they get here next week. 

• Like 2

Yeah, neat article Vicki. I like what I have seen of Dave Kirk a lot. Very helpful poster on thepaceline also.

Rode into work again today, gorgeous out, nice to have a fitness center here for a quick shower and change. The Trek is working out pretty well so far, though I still prefer the Raleigh by quite a margin.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention, bike is looking good Raffy!

Edited by Pars

Funny enough, they didn't complain the day I brought it in. Perhaps because stripping and cleaning the drivetrain was part of the $105 they charged for the labor package. The next day, I brought it in to have one of the brake cables shortened as it was rubbing my Garmin mount and they lightly gave me shit about the EFS residue that I dripped on the FD and bottom bracket.

Looks like we have similar body types. When I first saw pics of your Roubaix a while ago I didn't want to say anything, but thought too bad you didn't get the Tarmac. Is that a -17° or a track stem? As I regained flexibility I found my Roubaix's plus-size head tube too long, as I could only get 5cm drop.

With my Pegoretti, which I will be selling soon, I had to ditch the King headset for a Campy to get 6.5cm drop. On my CAAD with -10° stem I have 7cm. I replaced the 30mm cone spacer with an 8mm Cane Creek headset top. Also have a 2.5m Slam-Your-Stem top, but don't think I'll be needing it. :D

My next frame which I will be getting soon, has a 1cm shorter HT than the Peg.

Yep, my fitter said the exact same thing, "you should have gotten a Tarmac". It's a Deda -20 degree stem I have with a 8-10mm (I don't know exactly) FSA spacer. I only have like 2.5 cm of drop but being short that is to be expected.

I am now just waiting for my new wheels.  I decided to go with Brent's friend Troy for the build.  He has come up with a cool, at least I think so, solution to the weight the wheels have to carry.  I will post pics when they get here next week.

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing what you guys came up with. A local friend (former Cat 2 racer) said Troy built up a pair for his younger brother when he got back into racing at a high level. Said "funny you bring up Troy..."

Hope they work out for you!

**BRENT**

Finally signed up for a bike locker at the train station.  Hope to start my mini commute next week.  Need to figure the best way to transport ipad, etc. comfortably while on the bike.  Any of you guys have bike bags (pannier or wearable) that you recommend?

• Like 1

Yep, my fitter said the exact same thing, "you should have gotten a Tarmac". It's a Deda -20 degree stem I have with a 8-10mm (I don't know exactly) FSA spacer. I only have like 2.5 cm of drop but being short that is to be expected.

For now, but not if you stay in the game for the long term. You want more drop for more efficiency powering in the drops and climbing. Is that a 49?

Finally signed up for a bike locker at the train station.  Hope to start my mini commute next week.  Need to figure the best way to transport ipad, etc. comfortably while on the bike.  Any of you guys have bike bags (pannier or wearable) that you recommend?

http://www.rei.com/product/818298/patagonia-half-mass-courier-bag

Jeff, Troy's new cycling industry gig is with http://www.bikeshophub.com/, with http://www.bikebagshop.com/ being the site for bags, so he may be good to talk to again for that. I'd recommend hitting him up personally, and LMK if you need contact info again.

**BRENT**

Edit: If anyone is interested in anything from those guys, or wheels, e-mail: [email protected] and tell him I sent you.

Edited by MexicanDragon

Here's the ride I did Monday. I went out on the "Beginner's Ride", but took off with a fitter group (the leader of that group is the guy who hung with me my first time out and stuck with me every painfully slow pedal stroke), and we did a ridge climb. It was pretty depressing seeing how little of a climb it was, but I did it (except for a section where it went down to about 1-2mph, where I walked the last 75-100 yards of the climb.)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/306417577

I have Friday and Monday off, bookending CanLanta, so I plan on getting rides in those days, so hopefully they'll be longer/faster than this one.  I need to drop 100 pounds like, yesterday.

**BRENT**