HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Glad you're getting out there, Brent.   I'm betting I would have been walking right along with you.  I have bridge repeats scheduled for this weekend.  I'm on a train-your-weaknesses plan, which, quite frankly, sucks, but I know I'll like the results.

On a good body note, my physical therapy ends Saturday.  We spent one month on my bad ankle and another working on my weak hip, and I'm feeling as good and pain free as possible.  Starting next week, I'm upping my strength training to five days a week (1/2 hour sessions), and cutting down my riding to two weekdays plus weekends.  The goal is to keep that up for three months, then re-evaluate where I'm at, hoping I can then work into more of a maintenance plan.  I lost a lot of muscle (not that I had that much to start) in my legs in my downtime, and it's not coming back as quickly as it used to when I was younger.  I also have maintained my weight loss without having to really think about things, which pleases me, and though I have ten more pounds to lose, I'm not really working at it, and figure if it comes off, fine, and if it doesn't......f-it.  

Good job Brent!

Nice work and good plan Vicki. Those last 10lbs are a bitch, I have stalled out myself but I haven't been putting on weight either. I wish I had the drive to workout in the evenings but recently I've been so swamped with work and since Meaghan hasn't been feeling well I've been hanging out with her. I figure very limited riding for the next few months.

Finally signed up for a bike locker at the train station.  Hope to start my mini commute next week.  Need to figure the best way to transport ipad, etc. comfortably while on the bike.  Any of you guys have bike bags (pannier or wearable) that you recommend?

The Chrome Citizen Messenger bag is the best messenger bag I have tried.  It fits snugly across the body, is fully weatherproof, is very rugged, and the padding on the part of the strap that goes over the shoulder is fantastic.  The only annoying thing is that the damn seat belt buckle.  They also have a mini version if you want something smaller.

http://www.chromeindustries.com/bags/messenger-bags/citizen-messenger-bag

If you want a small and light backpack, I would go with a light hiking pack (if you want waist support) or (should I dare mention... http://www.tombihn.com/backpacks/TB0110.html).

When I have commuted in the past, I have usually used panniers though.  The ones I got were from REI.  

Nice work Brent! Keep it up, you gotta start somewhere, right?

For now, but not if you stay in the game for the long term. You want more drop for more efficiency powering in the drops and climbing. Is that a 49?

I know what you mean. I find myself more flexible as the miles accumulate so while my current fit with the new deeper drop bars are just right, I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself wanting more by next year or even the end of this year's riding season (if Florida even has such a thing).

My next frame will definitely have to be more aggressive. The Roubaix's headtube for my 49 is 125mm and I'm aiming for something in the 100-110 range with less BB drop to give me a higher riding position relative to the front end. There's a lot of frames that can suit these requirements.....Tarmac, Venge, Orbea Orca, Dogma, etc.

I think I will pick up the Bailey Digital Super Pro for regular use and one of the Portland racks for the future if I decide to put on a trunk bag or panniers.  Wish Portland did these in stainless.

pdw_501_payload_12_z.jpg

Edited by VPI

Nate, which Baileyworks do you have?  I like the Roadrunner in Copper.

Jeff, I've got two of their older messenger style bags.  The Roadrunner looks sweet, but I have no direct experience with it.  What I can say is that their bags are very well built, but are similar to Red Oxx in their function over form philosophy.  I find their bags attractive, but some would say that are overly utilitarian.

The bags look good to me and the strapping mechanism looks to be very good for bike carry.  Not quite as easy as a pannier but I could use this on whichever bike I decide to ride.

This, but in copper to match the bike of course.

ProductDetail_SuperPro_ZoomInShot_v2.gif

I think a recent forum update has started putting semi-annoying auto links into common phrases/keywords.  I noticed it a few days ago but it doesn't seem very consistent. 

Yes, my name has a link embedded on it that takes me to an eBay page with something about "Raffy learns to read". I know I'm a retard but illiterate? (I had to google that spelling :))

Heading out for a ride this morning. Found a channel on Fios call BEin sports that shows a lot of cycling and will be broadcasting the Giro d'Italia today if anyone is interested in checking it out.

I think a recent forum update has started putting semi-annoying auto links into common phrases/keywords.  I noticed it a few days ago but it doesn't seem very consistent. 

It's consistently semi-annoying.