HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Heading out for a ride this morning. Found a channel on Fios call BEin sports that shows a lot of cycling and will be broadcasting the Giro d'Italia today if anyone is interested in checking it out.

Thanks for the reminder, Jeff. I found out about the Giro airing on BEin Sports earlier this week but just called today to add it. Dropped Showtime too so I'm actually saving some money.

Yeah watching the recording now. Definitely do not want to watch live unless you really like soccer commercials. None of the cool bike commercials you get on NBC Sports, all soccer all the time. I also liked how the beIN crew misspelled Cadel Evans' name in the race intro. Maybe they are new to cycling races.

Rode to Alexandria and back this morning. Just about 24 miles with some decent climbing. 5 PRs and 800 feet of climbing. Felt like I could have easily kept going but my new seat just wasn't right so I wanted off the bike.

Edited by VPI

Trying the Toupe RBX Expert for the extra padding. Seat comfort is the main thing that keeps me from riding more miles.

Had a Toupe for a few months since it came stock with my Roubaix. It never really bothered me but I found myself riding the nose all the time as the flat part was too wide and I felt like it was trying to spread my legs a little too wide. Hence the move to an Arione.

Personally, I like me some firm padding. I feel like the softer it is, the more likely for spots to rub my man bits on.

Edited by raffy

I had a rough, short ride today.  Started out on my Calfee, but flatted within a quarter mile from my house, so just walked it home, since I was itching to get riding, switched to my Gunnar and started out again.  I was fiddling with my garmin while riding, trying to switch it to the Gunnar setting, and flipped it off the stem and out onto Federal Hwy, where it bounced a few times before having an untimely death by car tire.  Bah.  I said f-it, and kept on riding, but I'd done some brutal core work on Thursday, more than usual, and was really feeling it.  I just didn't feel like riding, and was done after 17 miles.  I had to get to my last physical therapy appointment anyway.  I really need to get in some miles tomorrow, at least 40, since I've a metric century charity ride, next week, so I'm going to rest up and be lazy the rest of today.

Thanks, Chris.  I just set up a ride with two friends tomorrow, both much stronger than I am, so I should get in a good workout and have some fun.  I've been riding solo for awhile.  It's nice to ride with others.  Hoping John and Mike will join me soon.  Also, I consider it a good thing I'd learned I can fix a flat by myself.  I've practiced before, but not in many months, and never had to actually do it with no one else around.  Though I did it in my living room, I feel confident that I could do it on the road now.   The Garmin is a bummer.  I ordered another since I learned I really missed it when it wasn't on my bike, but damb, I'm hemorrhaging money lately.   :(

Nice Jeff. If you want to ride out of Alexandria tomorrow I may be able to do that. I don't want to be more than an hour ride from home at any point.

I am around tomorrow if you think you want to go on a short ride somewhere around Alexandria.

Bummer about the rough day Vicki, here's to hoping tomorrow will be better.  I've been having an issue with my right foot that cropped up mid-week and is probably going to keep me off the bike all weekend.  I'm still hopeful that I can get a commute in on Monday but it's not looking good right now.

Parris, no, it's Bike It for Life, which is more or less a training ride for the Smart Ride in November, which is from Miami to Key West.  With both rides, 100% of raised funds go to local direct AIDS/HIV agencies.  Over the past years, too many riders for the Smart Ride didn't break out their bikes to train until late Summer, so folks decided to help motivate them to starting earlier.  I know of at least five people for whom that plan has worked, and have been riding for at least two months. I ride with a team from the Pride Center in Ft. Lauderdale.  It's a great group of guys, but not helping me get a date.   :-

Well, had a shorter ride than planned and plagued with flats, though fortunately not mine today.  Had fun, though, and at least now have a riding partner that likes to start as early as I do (6:30).  John, you remember Kat.  Didn't you used to work with her?  

I found out that next weekend's charity ride isn't what I thought it would be.  Apparently, they didn't get all the permits, so it's going to be a sucky course in downtown Ft. Lauderdale, with only a small section on A1A.  They already cancelled the century option.  I may just do 30 miles since I'm going to be stopping for traffic lights every couple minutes.  Doing a metric on bad, busy roads doesn't sound like fun to me.  Plus, we have to take a safety class before starting out, which is going to make it a later start than I'd like.  Bah.  

Rode the Calfee today.  I love this bike.  I'd haven't put many miles on it (about 300), and hadn't given it a good cleaning since getting it.  Just spent 45 minutes de-greasing and de-sanding the chain, and getting more sand out of every nook and cranny.  It's nice and purdy now.  

boomana, How much communication did you have with Dave, before he started the fit process? Do I wait until then, or can I pick his mind as needed?

I had one long chat at the beginning, then didn't have contact until he was ready to build the frame.  I had two longish phone conversations with him during that period (a few days), mostly to make sure email communication was agreed upon.  I didn't really have any questions or anything to say, so didn't need to pick his brain.  

Nice shot!

Agreed!