HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Brent, it does not come with the headset which is fine with me.  I would prefer something other than red. 

Vicki, remind me again about that motto.  I know that I heard "sorry about your wallet" a lot when I joined head-fi and it was true.  

To be honest I have spent way more on fountain pens in the past couple of years than anything else.  I do have a rather nce collection though. 

Vicki, remind me again about that motto.  I know that I heard "sorry about your wallet" a lot when I joined head-fi and it was true.  

C12 very cool for you!  I think the quote that Vicki was talking about is the one about the one who dies with the most toys...  ;D

^ Or any variation of the theme :)   

The way I figure it is if you take care of the things you're responsible for first, you get to buy what you want.  I have a toy fund, which is separate from my other accounts.  If there is money for what I want in there, I get to buy it; if there isn't enough money, I don't get to buy it.  It keeps things simple.   

After talking with the wife she gave me the okay to get this.  What do you guys think?  I measured my current bike and compared the numbers. They are almost the same except this has a taller head tube and less drop.  That is exactly what I need right now.  I cut some wood blocks and held them against the bars to simulate the difference that other day and it was almost perfect.  It will take a little time to do the full build up but that would be okay with me.

8698984064_eaa34238ec_b.jpg

A few thoughts:

- It will have decent, not fantastic resale value if you decide to sell it, which is important because you are a new rider and don't even know precisely your own fit. Change in flexibility, strength, weight, riding style will almost certainly influence and change future fit. 

- If it gives you the extra motivation you need to achieve your goals that's a good thing.

- Does one need that extra motivation, or is it better to set and achieve a few significant benchmarks first? 

If you haven't already, I would run thru the fit calculator on Competitive Cyclist. Have your wife take your measurements (3 times), and take a look at the recommendations (with a grain of salt). I personally use the Eddy fit as a base guideline, and am working with an existing frame. I would not do the competitive fit with its large drop and to me small frame size to achieve that. The French fit might also work well for you at this point with a more relaxed basis.

Did 27 miles last Tuesday, haven't ridden at all since then until my commute this morning. Will commute again tomorrow, and maybe one more time this week, as well as try to get out one night this week also.

As much as it pained me to do so, I decided not to get the Firefly.  I really wanted it but after multiple measurements and checking several fit calculators it was not as close as I had originally thought.  I'm going to keep riding the Orbea and work more on losing the weight right now.  I've told my wife that what I really want is a Kirk that is made just for me.  It will cost a little more but I will get exactly what I want.

It will cost a little more but I will get exactly what I want.

That says that you made the right decision. I myself was itching for a new frame but I quickly realized that my position has changed so much in less than a year that I'm gonna try to discipline myself and just focus on getting into better shape and riding the wheels off my current bike first. That'll free up more funds for better riding gear such as bibs, jerseys, supplements, etc.

After reading what pigmode wrote, I realized that I needed to step back and think about it.  That and my wife made the comment that I was hesitant enough with the decision that she did not think it was exactly what I was looking for.  It was damn close but just not it.  I'm looking for a comfortable saddle next week while on vacation so that I can enjoy the riding a little more when I get back.

I put the original cassette back on the canondale last night. Now I just need to ride it.

Get out there, Dan!

I've told my wife that what I really want is a Kirk that is made just for me.  It will cost a little more but I will get exactly what I want.

^ Like.  Be aware that there is a nine/ten month waiting list, then another six weeks/two months before the paint is done, so you can get in line any time you're ready, and have something to look forward to for about a year.

I'm finally feeling well enough to ride again, now I just need time.  Hopefully I can get out for a quick ride some night this week as it is finally light enough out after dinner to safely ride.  Still not as warm as one would like for the middle of May but a far cry from the temps of a month ago.

Glad you're better, Nate. 

I'm feeling really good, which is still thrilling as it hasn't been all that long since I was only able to do a few miles without pain.  I got 110 miles in this weekend, and upped my resistance on the Computrainer today (doing intervals twice a week), and probably could have raised it higher, but I'm still being careful.  Only six weeks ago, I was basically only spinning.

I got in about 16 miles with the "beginner" ride with the local club here yesterday. I don't have the Garmin info pulled yet, but no real beginners showed up. We were cruising along about 16mph for a bit, then bumped up to 20-22 for a while.  There was a small group wanting to go do another 4-5 miles, so I went with them, and we talked/guilted a first timer into coming with us. (Been riding a month, but it's training for a triathalon, and her base fitness level is fantastic, so, yeah, she'll be racing by the end of the year.)

I have a 17 mile ride with a buddy of mine who used to be a Cat 2 racer. Luckily, he's older and slower, and a nice guy, so I'll only have a really difficult time keeping up instead of impossible :) I'm looking forward to this ride on Saturday. It's looking like clear skies, 70*, and a gentle breeze... just a perfect day to get out and do the longest ride I've done in a decade!

**BRENT**

I've been staying away from this thread since I have not been riding much at all.  Glad everyone is felling better.  I ran tonight with a friend for some reason.  I did 3 miles which is not bad since it's been a year since I ran last.  I hope to ride a bit this weekend.  

Nice, Brent!

Mike, we're on for Saturday if you're up for a ride.  John and I were thinking Palmetto to the Lake Ave. bridge and back.  We can stop for breakfast if you want (I always want).  I'm going to invite the woman I met on Saturday's ride also, though she works every other weekend, so I'm not sure she can join us.

Here's some salt residue I put out after a 24 miles ride yesterday. And I already rubbed a good amount off. I don't mind riding in the heat but it just takes a lot of fluids and electrolytes outta me that I have a hard time replacing what I put out.

post-1266-13686521198028_thumb.jpg

So I got out for about 30 miles today and was complaining for a bit of it due to the crazy winds that were shifting around... That is until a wasp went down my jersey and zapped me several times!  I don't know what's hurting worse right now the sting or where I beat myself up trying to get the freaking thing out. At least I forgot about the wind for a while :unsure: .