HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

I have been out of commission for the past two months with life/family things but finally put in a 44 miler with some decent climbs. I need to check the route but at least 1k of climbing and 8-10% grades. My friend brought his daughter's 26 year old boyfriend along who kept the pace pretty high, friggin' kids. I am very tired now and need my nappy time.

^ :)

Hopefully, I'll have it sooner than we can plan a trip, but I'm definitely up for heading your way for a weekend, pretty much any time outside the next two weeks.

Nice a nice short ride this morning with John. My problem is that it takes me a really long time to warm up. The last ten miles was when I was starting to feel really loose/good/strong/whatever and ready to ride. I really didn't want to stop, but with too much to do today around the house, I had to cut it short. It didn't hurt that I latched on to a couple guys going a speed I like (20-23) and was really having fun. Most people around here are a lot faster, and it's hard to find guys to ride with at that speed. I know I should check out the clubs, but I've been resistant to the larger groups for lots of reasons, most of them stupid. My ideal would be to find a group of about six people that want to ride about 60 miles at 20ish mph, who also wouldn't mind getting going at 6:30AM. So far, I got no one. :)

Got in a nice 25 today and as long as it's not raining tomorrow morning I'll be riding into work.  It was very good to be back out on the road bike again and while I took it pretty easy I was also able to very comfortably average a pretty quick pace for the loop. 

Finally found a cable for my Garmin.  Remember when everything we had used these?

Last Saturday's rain ride
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/315288734

Monday's Beginner ride

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/315288727

Wednesday's mountain top roller ride

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/315288715

Saturday's 2013 Tour de Cure - Chattanooga

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/315288703

**BRENT**

Anyone here have a spare 10-speed SRAM or Shimano cassette they wanna sell me? Not really picky on the gear range as I'm only gonna put it in my trainer wheel. Anyway, I have a compact so even a 11-23 will be usable around here if I should decide to use my boat anchor alloy wheels on the road.

Edited by raffy

You'll probably only save yourself $20 or so buying used so if it were me I'd just hop on Ebay and find something that's the range you want and pull the trigger.  Going rate seems to be <$60 for a 1050 (Apex grade) and there doesn't appear to be much that'd interest me on Paceline.

I just saw that on Nashbar they're selling 105 cassettes in the low to mid 40 range if this helps.  I was actually looking at a couple of the Ultegra cassettes that have a 13 vs the 12 or 11 as I don't find myself in either of those gears much and the closer spacing would be nice.

Brent are you going to go and watch US Nationals?

http://www.usacycling.org/2013/pro-road-time-trial-nationals

I think I'm required by law to watch it, no?

Time trials or the road race? Not sure which at this point, if I'm picking one. I looked at the map for the road stuff, short loops all over downtown. One of the local shops, Hub Endurance, is base camp for a lot of the riders, so may head there. They also support a women's team that is riding. A friend of mine rides for them, but at the Cat 4 level. She'll probably be in the big one soon enough.

**BRENT**

Edited by MexicanDragon

Jelous Brent, I'd love to watch it in person. I would personally vote road race.

Here's hoping the UCI worlds actually make it to Richmond in 2015 as hoped. My wife has been open to the idea of going to Utah for the Tour of Utah or Colorado for the Pro Cycling Challenge. Either way that's not happening this year.

Edited by Dreadhead

Although I didn't get a chance to ride today I passed the time by setting up new dura ace pedals on the Kirk.  They're lower profile compared to the old style look's that they replace and they save 150 grams of rotating weight ;D !

After raining every day since Monday it snowed in central NH today :(.  May is going to be a disappointing month for mileage but at least it supposed to be back in the 70s tomorrow.  Nothing like having to turn the heat back on one day and want an air conditioner the next.

^ Damn, Nate. It was 90 here today when I was on my home stretch.

I learned how to upload my garmin stuff, and had a couple nice rides the last two days, so I'll try and post it up here.

Yesterday, the women's Velocity race team had a ride with the Lululemon gals, which was short, but had a yoga session in the park after, which was pretty funny since between this and that injury and general stiffness, most of us weren't exactly yoga ready. There was supposed to be an A and B group, and I very unintentionally became the leader of the B group since the A was way too fast (24 mph+), which was half the participants, and we lost half the B within a few miles since it was just too windy (garmin weather info is NOT even close to accurate for temp and wind) for some of the newer riders, and the real leaders went back to scoop them up. I was told to keep the speed between 17 and 18, and I ended up pulling the whole way north, which I didn't mind since I ride alone and it wasn't any different for me. At least I'm used to the wind. Since I never ride in groups, it was fun and I met some nice women, and can hopefully do this again.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/318322247

Today, I rode alone, and I have to say that I really wasn't feeling it. Although the garmin said it was 75 with a 7 mph wind, that's bullhooey. It was more in the mid to high 80s with a 14-16 freaking nasty crosswind, according to local weather reports, with gusts coming off the ocean, and I was feeling it. I'd love to ride in a 7 mph wind, which hasn't been happening lately. I ended up taking a leisurely ride through the back streets in Palm Beach just for fun, and did another leisurely roll into home since I was looking for a place to stop and eat and was pooped out.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/318322215

I'm hoping to get a similar ride in tomorrow. I got my new garmin on the 14th, so now that I'm learning out to get info from it, other than just when I'm riding, I've put in 264.47 in the last 13 days. That feels pretty good, and my ankle's holding up fine.