HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Trying to get last minute training in on a holiday weekend is not a good idea.  Started out directly into a 20 MPH wind on a slightly less busier than usual trail until everything came to a stop as I had to walk across a street fair that went on for most of the town of Vienna.  Ended up meeting with a guy with a Ti IF bike and we decided to go back the other way and went well until we hit another street festival blocking the trail in the other direction.  Didn't even end up breaking a sweat and just gave up and came home.

The new sunglasses did work very well.

Eeek on the 20 mph wind.  I'm never going to complain about ours again.

Glad you're getting the Garmin info up, V... SUPER jealous of your flat roads.

Very cool of you to lead the B group, V. Next time, you should just hang with the A group.

**BRENT**

If your definition of "hang" is being dropped within a mile, most likely within a quarter mile, then okay.  

Nice to hear the glasses are working well, Jeff.  I plan to pick up a pair soon as the Zeros, while offering excellent unobstructed vision, do not deflect enough wind - for my eyes anyway.  The weather broke this afternoon for a few hours which meant spreading mulch.  I may get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow and try to get a ride in before the holiday nonsense sets in.  It was a stressful week and I could use the distraction/release.

I took a rest day, but did sign up for this year's Tour of Sebring.  John, Mike, Raffy, your presence is mandatory.  I suggest that anyone interested in three days of cycling with your choice of distance in really nice, rural, rolling hill country with great weather sign up.  The hotel is old and crappy, but it's cheap, and it was really fun last year.  Could even be a first headcase cycling meet.  Labor Day Weekend is far enough away to plan.

http://tourofsebring.com/

I swiped it off a facebook post.  What was nicest about the ride was being with so many strong women.  Over half those in the pic were in the 24 mph+ group, where I'll never be.  There are hundreds of cyclists on A1A every weekend.  Usually you see large groups of men with a woman or two riding with them.  It was just fun to be a part of a mostly women's ride.

Here are the pics I took of the 2013 US Cycling National Championships. If you want to look on the map of the route, I was at the corner of Frazier and Market. Market is the bridge they are coming over. These are all straight off the cam JPGs, no correction. I may mess with 'em later, but don't have any good software right now.

8872456721_3bf2329aba_b.jpg

8873097512_f2e2193d72_b.jpg

8873108482_2a4d5806d5_b.jpg

8872554853_13c4932f92_b.jpg

8872606491_67e975f6a2_b.jpg

8873196036_19e9aabf66_b.jpg

8873199680_b19d6d0623_b.jpg

Full set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mexicandragon/sets/72157633774475262/

**BRENT**

I swiped it off a facebook post.  What was nicest about the ride was being with so many strong women.  Over half those in the pic were in the 24 mph+ group, where I'll never be.  There are hundreds of cyclists on A1A every weekend.  Usually you see large groups of men with a woman or two riding with them.  It was just fun to be a part of a mostly women's ride.

Believe it or not you don't need the ability to ride at 24mph, to stick with a group riding at that speed. 

It's the flatland around here.  A lot of people, the more serious riders, ride well above 24 mph in the group rides.  They blow by me every weekend, making me look like I'm in a parking lot when I'm feeling all proud of myself for going around 20.  None of these women are pros, just recreational riders, though some race.

I seriously doubt Boomana was talking about a 24+mph *ride* average. 

I've never averaged even close to 20mph so let me ask this stupid question: to average 24mph over a ride over reasonable roads, that's really means running around 26mph on straightaways, right?

Depends on the course profile, but every sec below 24mph needs to be made up right? Throw in a couple of small hills/rises and you're looking at decent stretches above 30mph.

My best 40k avg is 21.5mph, and that includes two 4 mi sections at 24mph avg., with speed ranging from 22-30mph. Its not a ride that can be pulled out of a hat.