HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

21.5 mph, that's pretty quick. I can only dream of pulling that off in my lifetime. 

Two days ago was my first year cycling anniversary. Logged around 2,900+ miles. Hopefully this year I can match or beat that mileage. What really surprised my is one of the things I love about cycling is the suffering. Don't get me wrong, certain days I bitch and whine about everything that's giving me a hard time but there are many times where I'm trying to ride hard and I'm at my limit: my heart's pumping like it's gonna jump out of your chest, my legs are screaming and I'm sweating like I'm in the immigration line and you know what, I like that shit most times :)

Edited by raffy
  • Like 1

A1A is a long, flat, straight road with really smooth pavement. There are long sections with maybe one or two traffic lights. Stronger riders in a group can average more on this road than I'm guessing in most places, so it can't really be compared.

On a more important note, I spoke to Joe Bell today!!!!! We've agreed on general paint scheme, and I'm giving him creative license to turn the general idea into what he thinks will look best. It's going to be another two weeks to a month (he has a camping trip planned, and my bike may sneak in right before, or it'll be a week after he returns). I'm both excited and a wee bit nervous.

Hey it was worth a try hehehe.   The latest/last piece of the puzzle for the Kirk is figuring out which saddle for the bike.  I've switched between a few of my old race saddles as well as some of the new stuff that's out there.  When in the hell did saddles start costing as much as a car payment?!  Then there's about a million different shapes, sizes, gel, no gel, cut out, no cut out, flat, hammock, etc, etc, etc.  I sold this stuff back in the day and am about to go blind with all the "best" options that are out there now.

If you go to each companies web site they all have their method which they claim will lead to saddle nirvana.  I keep one of my old race saddles that I can still ride mounted to a spare seat post for when the latest thing doesn't work out so I'll at least be able to bring the bike back to a known benchmark.  It'll be interesting to see how well the latest choice will work next week during the TDC ride.  I had really hoped that this final thing would have been done by now.  

I would love to have a dead flat, 20 mile stretch of road to ride to see what I could cook up for an average speed but there's nothing even close to that around here.  My fastest solo ride (about 30km) is just a tick over 20mph but includes multiple stop signs, stop lights, intersections that I have to slow for, etc.  I do know that I wouldn't really want to push any harder than I did on that ride.  I almost never get to ride in a group or even with a partner so I have no clue what sort of speed I might be able to push in a group setting.  One of these days I'll tag onto the local shop ride and see how fast I get dropped. :)

Parris, I have everything figured out except the saddle.  I'm starting with a B17 since I know I can ride that saddle forever, but knowing me, I'll mess around a bit.  I do like the Fizik Vitesse on my Calfee, but I've not done more than 60 miles on it, and I do ride a bit forward on it.  It's not perfect, but good enough.  I'm looking for perfect :)

Nate......or you could come to Florida for a visit and try out our long, straight, flat, smooth road with few stop lights. :)

• Like 1

I would love to have a dead flat, 20 mile stretch of road to ride to see what I could cook up for an average speed but there's nothing even close to that around here.  My fastest solo ride (about 30km) is just a tick over 20mph but includes multiple stop signs, stop lights, intersections that I have to slow for, etc.  I do know that I wouldn't really want to push any harder than I did on that ride.  I almost never get to ride in a group or even with a partner so I have no clue what sort of speed I might be able to push in a group setting.  One of these days I'll tag onto the local shop ride and see how fast I get dropped. :)

Na-uh. Based on the ride data you share you will do very well.

My road ride got rained out, so I'd planned on dusting off the cobwebs from the mtn bike and head out with Xavier today. Needed a new tube, so we to the LBS to pay 50% more for a 29er tube than any other one (a policy that's new since the last time I was there).  Get home, install it, double check to make sure it's on right, pump it up, and *BOOOOM*.

12"+ gash, just above the valve stem. This is after the end of my last valve stem snapped off while pumping up. So far, Giant and Bontrager tubes don't seem to like me. I went to another shop, but all the ones on my side of town were closed... no riding for me today either.

**BRENT**

Got up this morning, looked at the weather and saw a big green blob about 5 miles from the house.  What the heck.  So I rode in in the rain, which was actually quite nice since it was 70+ out.  Made good time and it felt damn good to be back on the bike.  So much so that I decided to take the long way home down the coast and get 30 in.  That decision had mixed results.  The scenery was excellent, the 15mph headwind not so much.

150584511.jpg

pigmode, what's with this Serotta Atlanta and posting teaser pics up on paceline, mister I-have-one-bike guy? Uh...at last count you have  three...four...a gorgeous Peg, a CAAD10, a Kirk on order (you did go through with the deposit, right?) and now this Serotta.  Welcome to Team Minimal!  Do post details.