HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

tt bikes don't count, or, rather, as long as they fulfill the "can have no more than one of a kind or one for every purpose" code of the team.

Well one is for commuting/riding during the week. One for the trainer. One for racing/rain. Calfee for all other situations.

Look sweet!  Nice technical sections and yet there's still lots of possible line choices through the rocks and tricky parts, it's something I don't see very often.

Yeah, it's a great place to ride.  Hopefully I'll get a few more 1 minute clips loaded up tonight that show the variation in terrain that you experience in a short, 6 mile loop.  There are highly technical decents and climbs like the clip shows but also some open, flowing sections, some tight in-the-trees stuff, the bridges, a few big drops for the brave (not me) and even a jump or 3. 

pigmode, what's with this Serotta Atlanta and posting teaser pics up on paceline, mister I-have-one-bike guy? Uh...at last count you have  three...four...a gorgeous Peg, a CAAD10, a Kirk on order (you did go through with the deposit, right?) and now this Serotta.  Welcome to Team Minimal!  Do post details.

Well (lol)....the Peg now lives with a happy owner in So Cal. Deposit for a Dave Kirk custom has rested safely for about a month in Bozeman, Montana.

Hope to take the Serotta out tomorrow, so we'll soon see about the fate of the CAAD 10. :) The Serotta is a size 54 standard geometry 2000 Atlanta, factory refinished two years ago. 

Seen first at Headcase--fit (and parts) easily transfered from the Pegoretti

8980002082_b87bda1563_c.jpg
IMG_0672 by pigmode, on Flickr

8978830979_77bc85313a_c.jpg
IMG_0669 by pigmode, on Flickr
  • Like 1

Nice looking Serotta.  My old Club Special's been hanging in the garage for a while and I'm thinking that it may be time to either get some updated gear on it or send it down the road given that I ride the Kirk and Bridgestone most of the time these days.  One of the things I HATE about the Serotta is that given when and what it was built for the wheelbase is quite short so there's a good amount of shoe to front wheel overlap which after getting use to the other bikes is disconcerting when slowing down to stop.  The thing that I love about the bike though is that the handling gets really solid on the higher speed descents and such that we have in my area.  

Vicki how close on your Kirk?  Have you and JB talked yet?

Commuted twice (35) and a quick 6 in during the week, then 28 today, so close to 70 for the week. Weather is spotty rain here. I was also going to commute on Tuesday, but afternoon rain forecast staved me off. I'm not worried about getting wet, but rather being seen by cars, so trying to avoid if I can. Need to get up to commuting 3x a week though. And getting out after work at least once for 20+.

Funny thing about using a backpack... for some reason it feels way heavier going home than going to work, even though it has pretty much the same content both ways :laugh:

Edited by Pars

Vicki how close on your Kirk?  Have you and JB talked yet?

Yup.  Talked two times so far (second time because I'm a spaz and am nervous, so wanted to double check what we agreed upon).  My bike is being painted within the next two weeks or after he returns from his annual camping trip.  Either way, I'm looking at between 3-6 weeks, which is all the same to me at this point, and I'm excited.

Nice ride, Nate (today's 25 miler), and great video from the trail earlier.  

^ This!!!!!

Funny thing about using a backpack... for some reason it feels way heavier going home than going to work, even though it has pretty much the same content both ways :laugh:

:D  Hope the weather improves for you soon.

We've had some majorly crappy weather lately.  It's been windy/rainy/stormy, humidity so thick it hurts, and hot every day for the past two or more weeks.  Today was the first day in a couple weeks I got some miles in.  Was supposed to ride with a ladies group this morning, but only one other person showed up.  I'd never met her before, so we rode slowly, mostly gabbing and getting to know each other.  She's about my age, was a spinner for 20 years and a runner, so very fit, but she's only been on a road bike for three months.  She's getting into triathlons, so doesn't like to ride as long as I do and wants to go faster than I do, but for right now, we're at the same level.  At about mile 25, we latched onto a group and had fun at about 18-20 mph, feeling like we weren't even trying.  She turned around to go home, but I was having fun, so stayed with the group.  At about mile 38, one of those annoying fast groups came up on us, and my group joined in with them.  I tried to keep up, and was thrilled to be going about 24 mph for a minute, but got dropped hard after a mile when they kicked it up even more, and sloooowly made my way home by my lonesome in a big fail bonk mode.  Stopped at the Boynton Diner for a nice breakfast to soothe my ego.  It was nice to get in 47 miles plus breakfast and still be home by 10AM.  I need to give the bike a good wash, but have nothing else to do today, so......yay!

• Like 1

This morning was simply beautiful. 70 and sunny by 8am so I snuck out for the same 25 mile loop I did yesterday. Forced myself to do a tempo ride and kept my average HR at 150, which is very low for me. Still managed am average of 16.5mph which made me very happy. Also spent an hour and a half mounting the good wheels last night and the difference was very noticeable.

Did testosterone rides Friday and Yesterday. Friday I tied my PR local 15 miler at 18.4 which was really great as I was only at 17.9 after the easier half. Yesterday I drove out to my "hill" ride and did 26 at 17.7. Did some hard long efforts on the back half which made me really happy.

I think I am finally back on the upswing after strep put a beating on my form early May. My HR seems to be slightly lower nowadays and I am able to hold a higher peak HR for max efforts. :)

Bit of a mixed bag on my solo ride today. Conditions were les dry than I hoped. But all was good until a quick trip over the handle bars left the bars twisted enough to pull the cable out. And my tools never made it over to the new bike. So the 2nd half of the ride was interesting with no front brakes.

http://share.gps.motionxlive.com/shr/x/track/f9648a4c27fd0e9fdb8a88bfacea68c7?fb_action_ids=10201201255934692&fb_action_types=motionx-gps%3Arecord&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B507695672629912%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22motionx-gps%3Arecord%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Today was the TDC up in Verona Beach.  After the last 2 years of rain and cold today weather was perfect and it was a very welcome change!  They changed the routes a little to keep things fresh and it was also welcome due to more back roads being used.  I did the metric century and fell in with a group of cyclists who were very evenly matched not only in skill, but also temperament.  This made for a really fun time for a great cause.  We completed the course in 3.5 hr's flat which was faster than I was expecting.

Installed a new chain on my Giant yesterday and noticed the wheels were messed up. ended up taking my Mavics in for a bearing job as they sounded like they were a coffee grinder. Not sure what was in there but all of the bearings have been replaced with ceramic bearings (just because) which isn't bad for under $70 including labor. I love my shop.

Sounds like some nice riding today, minus Ian's lack of brakes. :o

Parris, glad your TDC ride went so well.  You guys deserve some good weather up North.  

John, Mike, Raffy and any travel team members, are you signing up for the Tour of Sebring?  You should at least book your rooms now even if you're not sure as they'll fill up soon.

Cool, Ari.

Me - commuted to and from work today and put in a reasonable effort on both 20mile trips considering it was the 3rd straight day of riding (90 miles in total).  I averaged in the mid 18s on both legs and think that in a month or so I may take a crack at my current best pace for the ride in which I did at a tick over 20mph average. 

You people are killing me.  If I do 15 on a 10 mile run, it's a great ride.  Of course I'm at a disadvantage - there is no downhill here in flat FL.   :)

Also, I am no street rider.  Just a hybrid trying to go fast on a slow bike.  I need comfort in my advanced years.

Edited by agile_one

You people are killing me.  If I do 15 on a 10 mile run, it's a great ride.  Of course I'm at a disadvantage - there is no downhill here in flat FL.   :)

You also have an advantage, there's no uphill. :)

Also, I am no street rider.  Just a hybrid trying to go fast on a slow bike.  I need comfort in my advanced years.

Pfft, my dad rides a Salsa Vaya and loves it.  He's been cranking this year and put in a 100+ last week, basically putting me to shame.

I've never really enjoyed racing in crits but they're fun to watch thanks for sharing some really nice photos.  We have a crit named the Chris Thater race that happens every summer that's a good draw as far as talent goes.  one of the things that's fun as a spectator is the  "infield" of the course for lack of a better term is all city park so getting to good and different vantage points is a cakewalk.  It makes it really nice for families with little kids because in addition to the normal things that parks have there's a permanent carousel that "charges" 1 piece of litter per ride :) .