HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Yeah, back in the day I had somewhere in excess of a 36" vertical leap and when I was lifting regularly I could squat more than most of the football team.  My upperbody is a mixed bag.  My shoulders are strong, my chest is comparably weak.  And my core could definitely use work these days. :)

Well, my riding partner bailed on my planned trip out today.  The plus is it gives me more options where to go.  The negative is I'll be heading out alone.  I'm doing some reasonably heavy work around the house, including some demo, so maybe not pushing to get out after work is the smart thing.  We'll see.

Raffy,

I think you'll find that the more you ride the more you realize how hard you can push yourself.  For me, the first year of riding was really slow.  I bought the Roubiax in the spring of 2011 and I looked back through that year and there wasn't a single ride where I averaged much over 15mph and most of my rides were 10 to 15 miles.  Heck, even through the first half of 2012 I rarely went much over 16mph.  It was like all of a sudden middle of the way through  last year a switch got flipped and I added 2mph to my average.  My best guess is that it was a direct result of riding 60 to 80 miles a week, generally about 20mi at a time (when I started commuting to work). 

But I also don't always ride that hard.  I still go out and try to do tempo rides in the 16's because I know I let myself get so badly out of cardiovascular shape that I need to log miles at a lower HR for my own good.  So really my goal for this year is not to add any more speed but endurance.  If I can keep the current frequency and duration of rides up for the next month I think August could be pretty interesting from a testing my limits perspective.  And this fall for the 3-notch ride there's a group of guys coming, one of which is a good friend of mine, who are all triathlete nut jobs who can really hammer.  I'd like to think that I might be able to hang with them.  We'll see.  Looking back at the last three days of riding it's pretty nutty that I did 95 miles at average of just shy of 19mph.  Time to slow down for a week or more.

I know what you mean, Nate. The more I ride I find that not only could I dig deeper but I could sustain those deep efforts for longer periods of time. In douchebag cyclist terms, I think I'm expanding my "hurt locker" :)

I can't squat, got no thighs, core or upper body. Despite these deficits, had a decent 18 mile this morning with a 17.6 mph average

Great pics!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Doesn't matter Mike, you're a lifetime endurance athlete which give you a definite edge over us.

• Like 1

raffy, Jp and I constantly judge you.

Vicki, I will try for Saturday.

Likewise Mike, you have no idea how judgmental I can be. I sometimes judge you guys a douchebags but ones close to my heart. Beats being a garden variety douchebag IMO.