HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

There was a good article on the various types of lubes and their effectiveness in Velo magazine. Here's a link to the preamble to the article but I may still have a copy at home I can scan.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/02/bikes-and-tech/six-watts-from-lube-boulder-lab-separates-fact-from-friction-fiction_264446

The finding was though that parrafin wax was best though you do have to take the chain off and soak it in it. Of the ones that wasn't a giant PITA I believe Pedro's Ice Wax was one of the best. I use both Pedros Ice and Pro Gold. I guess I should just switch to only Pedros.

Edit: You can also get it free here (though I think you have to make an account):

http://www.friction-facts.com/test-results/free-reports/chain-lube-test

Interesting article! I am most concerned with maximum chain life, which though hinted at here, isn't directly measured. The Chain'l seemed to perform middle of the pack in terms of efficiency, and is not really dirtier than other lubes I've used after a few hundred miles. I've never tried any of the dry lubes, and might just for the hell of it, particularly one which has a lot of PFTE in it.

Marshall, have you tried wiping the chain down lightly with a rag with a solvent (mineral spirits) on it? The lube only needs to be in the rollers, anything else is unnecessary. You are applying a drop to each roller, then wiping it down after it has had time to soak in, aren't you?

Yep, I usually wipe it down with a solvent soaked rag after a ride and then apply more lube, let it soak for a few minutes, take the bike for a quick spin around the block and then wipe it down the drive train with a clean, dry rag and then wipe it down with a solvent soaked rag again before riding it.  

With it being as dry as it was the dust on the Kal-haven trail was like really, really fine cement dust and even the tires get caked with it.

Last night's storms will help matters for a few days but.......

There was a good article on the various types of lubes and their effectiveness in Velo magazine. Here's a link to the preamble to the article but I may still have a copy at home I can scan.

http://velonews.comp...-fiction_264446

Good read, thanks for sharing it. :)

Edited by Mister X

Mike, I'd say it is likely a pass based on what I see so far. You would likely need to put on a pretty short and negative angle stem to get the HB close to where they should be. Are you running any spacers etc now?

Raffy I think the HT on my frame is 24cm I don't have my ordering spreadsheet with me. That said it's also a much larger frame.

Edited by Dreadhead

Picked up Assos UNO bibs and 2 pairs of Assos socks for $163 shipped from Ribble.

That's about $50 less than what I would have paid at the LBS just for the bibs. And the LBS's wonder why a lot us go online to but stuff? No shit Sherlock!

null_zps9512238a.jpg

Edited by raffy