HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Most Euro stuff runs one to two sizes small but usually they tell you that in the description, like a XXL covers 34-36" or something only cyclists would consider XXL.  In this case it appears that Giordana runs true to more traditional sizing.  My waist is right around 36", unfortunately my thighs are probably about 24", each.  Finding shorts that fit in general is damn near impossible.

Looking at the possibility of actually using my travel bike and heading to this Sebring thing.  Does one fly into Tampa to get to Sebring?

Or Orlando. Just mapped it and the Orlando airport is around 90 miles away from the old,musty hotel and Tampa is 103 miles away.

Good, the event hotel blows chunks. Not sure how far the Residence Inn is from the event start but the La Quinta is about 4 miles away. It's actually a newer, nicer La Quinta, not one of those shithole ones.

EDIT: The Residence Inn is 2 miles away.

Edited by raffy

Yay, Jeff.  :prettyprincess:  Make it happen.

The hotel is indeed horrible, but I as the event is run out of the it, it's just too convenient to get up and out early in the morning and roll back in.  John texted me two (three?) days ago and still got a room, so I'd give them a call.  

My goal was 150 miles this week.  I've got 63 in, if starting on Monday, and hoping to get in 100 this weekend, though the weather is looking like it's against me.  Rain rain stay away, at least the nasty stormy kind.

Most Euro stuff runs one to two sizes small but usually they tell you that in the description, like a XXL covers 34-36" or something only cyclists would consider XXL.  In this case it appears that Giordana runs true to more traditional sizing.  My waist is right around 36", unfortunately my thighs are probably about 24", each.  Finding shorts that fit in general is damn near impossible.

All I will say re: Giordana is that there shit, while really nice, does run small. I have a jersey that my brother gave me that is a "5" Euro sizing, that is supposed to be their XL. It fits more like a medium, as in, I would be comfortable wearing it when I get down to 170. And it is a "Campy" jersey :dance:

Which chain lube for dry and dusty conditions?

I normally use Chain-l but cleaning the chain every other day has got old, fast.

Nothing will last in dry and dusty.  I'm not much of a road biker, more mountain for me.  I use ProGold ProLink.  The important thing is to clean good, and then let it sit overnight, and then wipe up before loading up the bike or heading out the door.

It seems to work for me for 50-60 mile rides in the woods.  I always bring extra lube and a shop rag.  I've tried the FinishLine stuff (dry and ceramic wax).  They were ok, I guess.

One of my friends gave me a half a bottle of the rock n' roll extreme so I gave it a try earlier.

The chain did not feel gritty and looked pretty clean when I came in but I was not really in the mood to play with it after a 30 mile ride so will see how it fared tomorrow.

rock n' roll extreme

That works fairly well.  A friend of mine uses it with no real issues.  Then again, I've not heard of many problems with different lubes, just don't put it on immediately and ride.  It'll gunk up, at least on dirt.  Letting it sit for a while and wiping clean has the largest effect.

You could always get your own room in the hotel of your choice, Raffy.

I know, I just like to rag on the old hotel :)

Rode 26 miles today, half in the pouring rain. Gave my bike a long overdue cleaning. Cleaned and lubed my chain using Rock and Roll Gold which worked very well. This is cleanest I've ever got my chain on my own.

^ Nice pics.

I had breakfast this morning with some guys who race Cat 4/5.  I'd heard that the Miami scene was nuts from a couple people, but they were telling me that it's called "Miami style," and includes grabbing jerseys and punching competitors at 30 mph.  Said it wasn't true at higher levels, but I guess at the 4/5 levels, it's pretty vicious.

I had a weird 40-mile ride today.  I heard there are a couple big tri meets around the state today, but there was no one on the road when there are usually hundreds of cyclists.  It was a cycling ghost town. I got out a bit late at 7:30, but soloed it the whole way to the inlet and back, and didn't see hardly anyone.  Had a killer tailwind on the way up, and actually got up to 26 mph for a bit.  That was fun!  Paid for it on the way back, going more like 13-16 mph and struggling with the wind.  Around mile 27, I started having severe stomach cramps and bloated up.  I'm thinking it was from the salt stick tab I took at the inlet.  I'd never tried them before, but thought I'd try one as it was roasty toasty hot out and I'd been sweating madly the whole way.  That was horrible.  I had to stop at the Lake Ave. park and sit on the bench, but felt fine in about ten minutes.  Ending up running into the two guys I mentioned earlier, had breakfast at Mulligans, and had a nice final few miles home.  I didn't get in the 150 miles I wanted to this week, but did get in 108, so I'll call it good.  I have a four-day weekend coming up, so hoping I can get some miles in.  I want to be comfortable doing multiple metrics by Sebring time.  

Dis the same 26 miles lumpy loop I did yesterday today. Got windfucked both days but overall, a great week of cycling. I think I'm at 90 miles this week.

I'm probably gonna get lectured about this but I ran my stem with no headset cover for the past 2 days but with a shim so as not to contact the top bearing directly. This gives me almost .5 more inches of drop for a whopping 1.25 inches total. The extra half inch may not sound like much but I like it better this way. Probably not gonna run it this way for a long time though.

EDIT: Also picked up a pair of White SIDI Genius 5 shoes at competititivecylist for $120. Sizes are limited but I think it's a great deal for someone in the market for new shoes.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=37646&CATEGORY.ID=0&MODE=SPECIALS&TFC=&TOP_PARENT.ID=&BRAND.ID=68

Edited by raffy

The Junior Category.  This one seemed a bit unfair to me as these cute little girls

tdt58-X2.jpg

tdt53-X2.jpg

tdt36-X2.jpg

Were supposed to compete with 2013 Time Trial and Crit 10-12 Juniors National Champion Adam Croft

tdt44-X2.jpg

tdt62-X2.jpg

tdt61-X2.jpg

tdt47-X2.jpg

A few more of the Juniors

tdt39-X2.jpg

tdt41-X2.jpg

tdt50-X2.jpg

Did my 38 mile beach loop today. It's hot and humid today, 85+ with 60% humidity, so I wasn't expecting great things. Turns out it was almost 10 degrees cooler at the coast so I hammered those 5 miles and manage near 19 for the whole ride. Of course I've been home for a half hour, showered and I'm still sweating.