HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Uggh... floods suck Aerius!

Screw the look Vicki, if the Brooks makes you happy, stick with it, even on the Kirk. Also, have you seen their new non-leather saddle?

http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/saddles/touring+%26+trekking/Cambium+C17+S+Ladies+Ltd+Ed/

Seriously overpriced IMHO, but early ride reports seem favorable, and you wouldn't have to worry about rain, etc. with it.

Raffy, I'm hoping I like the Aliante.  I actually like the Vitesse a lot, so hoping the Aliante's pocket, as you called it, will be exactly what I need.  My LBS guy is lending me his, as he thinks it's probably what I'm looking for, for the same reason, and he's been right with everything he's recommended so far, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Fikiz lets you customize your color, and I'd love to have a blue one to go with my new bike (it's going to be pearl white with cobalt blue panels).  If I could do that, I'd probably go with a silver seat post, stem, etc., which would look really sharp.  

Oh....and these new SIDIs are seriously white.  It's kinda scary looking down at my feet.  They glow back up at me.  

No guarantees but I think the Aliante has a good shot of matching with you. Of all the saddles, it's the one that reminds me of the Brooks shape a lot.Also, sorry to sound like a nag but please be very mindful of the saddle tilt especially for curvy saddles like the Aliante. That can spell the difference between a comfy saddle and and man/female bits crusher :)

Does you're LBS guy have the custom Fizik program? Last time I heard, there was only 1 shop in the Midwest to get custom Fiziks from.

Yes, the SIDI's are Tony Montana white. A few rainy, dusty and dirty ride has put a nice patina on mine already. The insoles kinda suck so I might replace them with Specialized ones. 

Edited by raffy

Mike, the weather, courtesy of Chantal, should be uber shitty Friday and Saturday with Sunday "improving," or so the tv tells me.  I've got a back up plan of a 6AM two-hour computrainer ride on Saturday, which I'm hoping to not do, but I want to get some miles in, especially since I'm on borrowed saddles that need to be returned.  If Sunday's nice(ish), do you want to join up?  John?

Raffy, I pick up the Aliante tomorrow.  I was talking to Vince (LBS guy) about getting a custom color Aiiante, if it works for me, and he told me not to order it online, as I was going to, as he can get it cheaper for me.  I don't know about any custom program dealers have or not. You're the first one who's mentioned it.  I rode the Specialized some more this evening, and if I could combine the rear of the Vitesse with the center section of the Specialized, I'd have the saddle I want.  I think this one is a no-go.   

Marshall, I do think the bee sting wipes out any negative karma points for wiping out the squirrel.  Wishing you safer riding.  

Also Vicki, Fizik offers "VS" models of their saddles. The VS models have a center trough (not cutout but similar effect alledgedly). If you find that it works but with a center recess, the VS versions might do the trick. JP's Selle SMP Dynamic is pretty comfy too. It's curved and has a generous cutout. If I didn't like nose riding saddles, that would be my choice.

Just packed up everything to go for my first out of work ride since I can't work more than 32 hours a week.... It is looking like rain but I plan to see how well the new fenders work and how good the new wheels feel on my trusty old Trek 1200. I'm thinking a long term project is to upgrade it to SRAM Apex and maybe buy a lighter fork. I think it would be cool to have a "fancy" old crappy Trek.

One last ride before I go on vacation. In honor of today's TDF TT and also my best Nate impression, my new PR but not quite Nate-esque pace :) Still felt really good even after leg day at Crossfit right before I rode. I was spinning like my shoes had ants in them so I'm suprised my cadence was just 93. I thought it was gonna be at least 100.

7-10-201311-48-31PM_zps20800311.png

Edited by raffy
  • Like 1

FYI - Competitive Cyclist is having a pretty huge sale today on wheelsets (and other things).  They have everything from basic (Askium) to insane (MadFiber) at 33 to 50% off.  Stupid fricking furlough.  I wouldn't mind trying a pair of the Easton EC70s at half price.

I just finished up a ride on the Aksiums (Really fun 30km with lots of climbing). They ride really nice to me and particularly help the chatter on my aluminium framed Trek. Their price on the Mad Fibers is very very good. I think it's about what I paid. I love my tubulars and they just sound so sexy rolling down the road.

Also Vicki, Fizik offers "VS" models of their saddles. The VS models have a center trough (not cutout but similar effect alledgedly). If you find that it works but with a center recess, the VS versions might do the trick. JP's Selle SMP Dynamic is pretty comfy too. It's curved and has a generous cutout. If I didn't like nose riding saddles, that would be my choice.

Right. I just tried the Vesta, which is the channel version if the Vitesse. I hated it.

FYI - Competitive Cyclist is having a pretty huge sale today on wheelsets (and other things).  They have everything from basic (Askium) to insane (MadFiber) at 33 to 50% off.  Stupid fricking furlough.  I wouldn't mind trying a pair of the Easton EC70s at half price.

I might have to pick up those EC70 for the Calfee.  I wonder if they are thin enough to fit in the travel case?

• Like 1

I got some Ksyriums.  These things sure come with a bunch of accessories.  I also tried on the Sidi Wire Vent Carbons but they were just not nearly as comfortable as my S-Works.  I just have trashed the S-works on gravel, etc. so I need some new ones.

sample17-X2.jpg

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1