HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

The Aliante could be a winner.  It's almost identical to the Vitesse, but the rear seems ever so slightly flatter (could be my imagination), allowing me to sit back on it and have the right parts hit the pocket.  With the Vitesse, something, however minor, with the rear angle made me slide forward and my pelvis tip forward just a tad, and although I knew that's what was going on, no seat tweaks made it different.  I only got in 42 miles this morning, cause I got out late and have an eye doc appt. to pick up my glasses in a few minutes.  I'd like to get in 60 tomorrow as that should be a reliable test of difference.  The Vitesse would start bugging me somewhere between 40-50 miles.  

On a side note, I was wearing a full Tune Cycles kit.  I should wear it more often.  It's a man magnet.  I have never been waved or hollered at so much, had guys ride up to talk to me, including turning around to do so, ever.  I met some nice guys who just wanted to ride with me because of it.  

Mike, wanna meet at Palmetto at 7AM tomorrow?  If I ride down to meet you, and we ride up to Lake Ave., you can get in 36-40 miles, and I can get in the 60 or more I want for the true saddle test.

Didn't manage to hit anywhere near 46 miles but did get out on an excellent ride with Chris and Juan in an area I have wanted to ride since first driving through it.  This area of DC and Maryland feels like you are miles from town and the roads are mostly closed to vehicles on the weekend so much more relaxing.  

My Garmin once again failed miserably in the trees so I am going to have to figure out how to fit a cadence sensor on the Cervelo.  I was reading around 6 MPH for most of the ride including some pretty crazy downhills that were in the trees.  I think the Strava plot will look pretty strange because I saw at least once that I was cruising at 6-8 MPH and then I came out of the trees and jumped immediately to 30MPH.  This explains why I always set all my PRs on the Calfee (with cadence sensor).

Chris and Juan are still much faster than me but I am feeling much better at the end of these rides than I ever did in the past so I guess that is an improvement.

Just saw on FB that my shop is showing the TdF stage tomorrow projected on the outdoor screen for a bit of a party so I have reason to break out the DeSalvo for a ride over and a bit of TdF party.

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1

Mike, wanna meet at Palmetto at 7AM tomorrow?  If I ride down to meet you, and we ride up to Lake Ave., you can get in 36-40 miles, and I can get in the 60 or more I want for the true saddle test.

Vicki, my plan for tomorrow is to do no more than 25. I have to decide if I want to get up that early and drive to Palmetto.  I will let you know later today.  If I go and feel up to it, I will try to stay with you for your first 15 or so.

Competitive Cyclist is having another nice sale today.  I checked on the Mad Fibers as I about had myself convinced to buy them after listening to Chris' marketing presentation but they are all out.  They do have Tallboy Carbon/X.0 complete bikes for $4,000 which seems ridiculously cheap.  Also some nice Oakley's for $140.

Edited by VPI

Marshall, I do think the bee sting wipes out any negative karma points for wiping out the squirrel.  Wishing you safer riding.

Thanks. :)

Dunno if helps but this thread from a female cycling forum has a ton of information about saddles.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=39475

(the specialized saddles have almost a cult like following there so....)

I've declared a moratorium on cycling accessories for the year.

Me to but the Tifosi seeks with fotech lenses are very tempting...

Especially at $50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tifosi-Seek-FC-White-Black-Sunglasses-with-Smoke-Fototec-Lens-/400525966479

Took the Calfee out to try the new wheels and check out a route that I can take to get me to my normal Trail.  Bike is greatly improved by losing that pound of wheels.  The ride seems to be quite a bit smoother as well, similar to that of the Titanium DeSalvo with the big 28mm tires.  The route works out pretty well but is only a 2 lane road with many stretches of no shoulder so it could be rough.

Took the Calfee out to try the new wheels and check out a route that I can take to get me to my normal Trail. Bike is greatly improved by losing that pound of wheels. The ride seems to be quite a bit smoother as well, similar to that of the Titanium DeSalvo with the big 28mm tires. The route works out pretty well but is only a 2 lane road with many stretches of no shoulder so it could be rough.

Really glad to hear that and that you found a good route. Just remember... MAD FIBER :)

• Like 1

I didn't get the miles in I wanted to do, but I think I did okay.  I tried to do a Raffy or Nate ride :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/342318304

I did, however, confirm I'm still one of the slowest people out here.  The Frank Stark Ride was happening today, and there were literally over 500 cyclists on the road.  I tried to hang on, but got dropped by every group whizzing by me.