HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Nice ride Vicki? You call 19.1 slow???

19.1 good for me, but I keep tucking into groups and would get dropped by all after a couple miles, and faster groups were flying by all along the way.  These folks were all doing metric centuries, and started before me, so it's not like they were just sprinting for a few miles.  There are a lot of good cyclists down here.  I'd like to find a group to ride with, but I just can't keep up.  I was chatting with the people I was trying to ride with.  Supposedly, they were all B groups, but as I said, drop city.  

Nate, I can hang at 19.1.  Remember, we have no hills here.  I was getting dropped in the mid 20s.  I'd try to ride with a group, get dropped, ride by myself for a bit, latch on to another group, repeat.  The first seven miles was me getting out of my neighborhood and out on my own.  The rest of the ride was me trying to unsuccessfully keep up with the groups, with a dip in speed in the middle due to being in downtown Palm Beach.  The last five or six miles was me on my own and damn tired.  I got dropped five times.   What blows me away is that other groups were flying by the ones I was in like we were in a parking lot.   

Screenshot2013-07-14at35016PM_zps4e4e904

What water bottles are you using?  I have a camelback one and a polar something or another.  Neither seem to do much as far as I can tell, but then again, they're the only water bottles I've ever had, so I have nothing to compare.

As far as the group rides go, I'm over being pissy.  I'm happy riding by myself or finding a couple people who will ride with me as I go along.  I'm also quite used to getting passed on the road.  I think today was frustrating because I was actually trying for once and came close.

Vicki I totally didn't think you were being pissy. Even at my fittest I was mostly a B rider and had a hard time with the A group in the ride I usually did and that was riding 12-15 hours a week. Trying and getting dropped is frustrating as hell.

I bought 2 Camelbak Podium Big Chill water bottles yesterday and I am very impressed with them when compared to my stock water bottles. 2 hours out in 90+ degrees and the liquids were still enjoyably cool (They started as half ice to be fair). I've been doing rides in this temperature with regular bottles (with the same ice in them) and the difference was very noticable to me.

Edited by Dreadhead

Finally got myself a bike today!  Canondale Quick SL-2, and I'm loving it.  I don't know how I haven't had a bike in over five years, but tonight's ride was as much fun as I've had in a long time! 7 miles down to the beach, and it felt like a breeze!  :)

post-69-0-32634100-1373866508_thumb.jpg

Now, to find a mount for my Garmin Orgeon GPS :)

• Like 1

Spoke to Joe Bell this afternoon. My bike is partially painted, but the holdup is the stencil. Apparently he ran out, had a local guy make some, but he doesn't like the quality. Looking at the end if the month before it goes back to Dave, then here for the build. I'm ballparking another month to five weeks before I'm riding it. :) and :(

Cool, Chris.

Parris, I'm just going to wait it out at this point.  I will, however, reveal my color choice.  I decided on a pearl white (low pearl) bike with cobalt blue panels and a very small (hopefully) candy red (that was Joe's idea; I was thinking more deep blood red) stripe.  I told Joe I didn't want people to look at it and think what a nice red, white, and blue bike like the Trek postal bikes.  I wanted a blue and white bike (kinda like Nate's avatar) with just a touch of red as a little extra.  Still keeping fingers crossed.  

Mikey, John is riding with me and Phoenix on Saturday.  Neither Phoenix or John has been riding so the plan is for me to ride down to meet them at Palmetto at 7AM, ride up to either the Seaside Deli or Lake Ave., depending on mood, and then back.  Wanna join us?  

White Pearl is about as timeless as it gets and the great thing is that the other colors will really pop!  I think that Joe may be onto something with the candy red because if I remember correctly the way most candy colors work is that they're laid on over an appropriate base coat and the color takes on the good aspects of the base color and becomes better than either color on it's own.  With the Pearl the candy red should be really striking.  

There aren't a lot of painters who will work with Pearl as it's unforgiving of screwups.