HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

If I rode more I would be able to keep up.

Not sure if anyone is interested but thought I would post it just in case.  A guy done here started a bicycle insurance company called Velosurance.com.  He is a good guy that is one of the main guys that maintains and builds the trails at Markham Park, where I ride.  I was having a beer with him a day or so ago and we talked about the insurance.    I hope to have a policy to review next week but based upon what he told me, it covers pretty much anything that can happen to your bike.  I have no interest in the business, just passing it on.

Bummer Nate. I wussed out and did an hour on the elliptical at the gym

Yeah, there were nasty storms predicted this afternoon (that still may arrive shortly) so it just wasn't worth risking getting hailed on. It's supposed to get down into the 60s tonight so I'm thinking about trying to get out for 50 tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

If I rode more I would be able to keep up.

Not sure if anyone is interested but thought I would post it just in case.  A guy done here started a bicycle insurance company called Velosurance.com.  He is a good guy that is one of the main guys that maintains and builds the trails at Markham Park, where I ride.  I was having a beer with him a day or so ago and we talked about the insurance.    I hope to have a policy to review next week but based upon what he told me, it covers pretty much anything that can happen to your bike.  I have no interest in the business, just passing it on.

Let me know what you find out.  

I took Xavier on his first trail ride today. 2 hours total, 4 miles, lots of mud, but the driest it has been in a month. A couple tricky sections, but he handled himself like a champ, and only one big wipeout for him. We walked a bit of the really rooty sections, and the 29er wheels roll a good bit better than the 20" ones.

So proud today!

**BRENT**

post-16-13743793978764_thumb.jpg

post-16-13743794277649_thumb.jpg

post-16-13743794530256_thumb.jpg

post-16-13743794693255_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nice Brent!

Me - got up at 5:30 to hit the road a little before 6 for a 50 mile tour of the seacoast.  I gamed the system this time and checked the forecast last night to make sure that I wouldn't be headed dead into the wind along the coast.  I'm happy to report that the weatherperson had it right so I got a nice ~5mph push on that section of the ride.  I rode the whole loop without stopping so no pics for me.

• Like 2

Very impressive Nate.  50 miles on the bike non-stop seems pretty tough.

Glad to see Xavier has less crashes per mile than his dad typically sees.

Went on another awesome ride with Chris this morning.  This one was his hill climb down by Mt. Vernon.  Started out a bit rough when I hit the longest, steepest climb of the ride and found it pretty damn difficult.  Got to the top and realized I had once again left the bike in the big ring in the upper middle of the cassette.  After that it was a nice route with some decent climbs but nothing serious.  Amounted to about 670' of climbing over the 20 mile ride.  Not much for the real riders but dramatically better than I could do this time last year.

• Like 1

Sounds like fun, Jeff! Need to get you some electronic stuff and do some sequential shifting. I'm sure someone has figured out soomthing like a CVT for bikes now.

Nate, you're crazy. 50 non-stop before I got out of bed. I was elated to do 9 miles on the road without stopping a couple months back.

**BRENT**

Nice, peoples.

I got in a 32-mile ride with a co-worker today.  We were slow, and by slow I mean about 12 mph.  It was even hard to go that slow, but my friend hasn't been riding at all, or lubing his chain (was squeaking the whole way), and was struggling.  Maybe what I needed, though.  The humidity has been getting to my ankle, so keeping it in the easiest gear and just spinning was probably a good idea for today.  

The Aliante is not going to work out.  It's almost exactly like the Vitesse, which is fine for short rides.  I'd ridden it enough this past week to be raw, so not happening.  I switched up to the Terry Butterfly again, which felt much better.  I'd like to find the identical saddle with a little less padding.  The search continues........

• Like 1

Just get that new Brooks, Vicki...

12 mph... I'm even faster than that (by a hair). Buy him some lube, show him how to put it on, and then take him for another ride. It'll be better next time.

**BRENT**

I really have no words for this. Just do it Vicki, slow riders...

Brent, I've read the new brooks has a rough, expensive-shorts-ruining surface.  

The thing that pisses me off about my friend is that he does this every year.  He doesn't ride for months, doesn't take care of his bike, is horribly slow for a couple weeks, then will be doing 100 miles at 18 mph within a few weeks.  I work all year and can't do that. He also has a little speaker system on his bike, and he blasts bad pop music with horrible distortion, singing along the whole way.  Truth is I'm jealous.   :)

Did 32+ hot and windy miles today. I left my apartment with rain really threatening so I didn't bother with any sunblock and put on my Yellow lenses. Of course halfway thru the ride it gets really sunny so not only was everything so bright I felt like I was on crystal meth, I now also have a wicked tan line on both my arms. :) 

Raffy, I have found the Red Iridium Polarized to work well in both bright and cloudy rides.  I bought some Persimmon lenses yesterday for the really cloudy / nighttime rides and mountain biking but I have not been able to try that lens out yet.

Chris, for me to be able to drop you I will probably need both of your tires to flat at the same time.

• Like 1

The Aliante is not going to work out.  It's almost exactly like the Vitesse, which is fine for short rides.  I'd ridden it enough this past week to be raw, so not happening.  I switched up to the Terry Butterfly again, which felt much better.  I'd like to find the identical saddle with a little less padding.  The search continues........

http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/ask-the-engineers/the-four-and-a-half-rules-of-road-saddles-.html

Read through the article, then break out the measuring tape on the saddles that work for you.  You should find that they have certain things in common, and from there you can figure out what a new saddle will need to have to be comfortable for you.

Using myself as an example, I've found that any saddle with a significant curve simply will not work, and that narrow saddles are also a pain in the ass.  Since I now know what to look for, it makes saddle shopping a lot easier, though there's still some trial & error involved.