HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

I thought that the 404 where 1650 (without rimstrips) but I was off. I figured between the rim strip and the ultralight skewers 400 was about right.

Apparently the ruling from the Internet is that the mad fiber are stiffer side to side. I am not sure I buy that but I have not been done a detailed back and forth.

I was wondering about that after Mike posted his insurance acquaintance.  I probably should update my home policy to specifically note the bikes.  I guess I could go through the quote process there and see what the cost would be.  It would probably end up being more than my car insurance.

Nevermind, $3100 a year with a $500 deductible.

Edited by VPI

Went for a nice, humid as hell, ride this afternoon.  Much cooler than the typical Florida ride but it seemed pretty damn warm whenever not moving out there today.  Thought I was racing the storm but I should have stayed out longer as there is a bit of sun out now.

• Like 1

Got in a little ride after work.  Went and uploaded to Strava to see my segments and it appears someone went through and marked every segment in my ride as Hazardous so they will not show the leader boards.  I am guessing some asshole in the neighborhood is trying to keep people from speeding through but it is on a freaking trail and a lot of the hazardous parts are perfectly flat.

Took my bike to the LBS today for a tuneup and was informed that I needed a chain as well.  2,000 miles doesn't seem like enough to me, but I don't really know.  Thoughts? 

It's ready to pick up tomorrow so I'm hoping to get in a ride a some point as a part of the pickup and then hopefully get a medium distance ride in Sunday.

2000 miles on a chain is a lot, most of the roadies I know max out at around 1500.  For mountain bikes it's even worse, I'm happy if I can get 800 miles out of a chain before it wears out, and in bad weather I've toasted a chain in under 300 miles.  MEC sells chains for $15-20 so I just buy a stack of them and change them out regularly, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing chain rings and cassettes.

SRAM has gone seriously downhill from the Sachs/Sedis days.  I had a bunch of Sachs chains from just before SRAM bought them out, they would usually last about 1200km before wearing out.  My stash ran out a couple years ago and I ended up buying some SRAM chains, they only lasted 700km or so before they were toast and that was in good weather too.  Then I went to KMC since they also have a quick connect link, they go about 1000-1100km before they fail the ruler test.  For $15 I can't complain.  I haven't used a Shimano chain in ages but as I recall they lasted about as long as the old Sachs chains.

Great day for a ride here today.  Avg temp on the ride was 68.  Bit of a rough ride coming off back and leg workout last night.  I am worn out.  Looks like some DBag went through and marked the majority of this route hazardous as well so Strava won't show me my previous times or the times of other riders.

i-533Xst9-XL.jpg

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1