HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

I know how to mtn bike. I know how to look ahead, I know what to do, how to clear/avoid obstacles... I just can't DO it anymore. There would have been some stuff I chose not to ride anyways, but some of it was just "I can't physically balance that well on a bike anymore."

Road riding is fine, but even easy trails like that beat me up in a way that is more than just physical conditioning. The switchbacks aren't something I like in general, but between balance and having to naturally switch to a left-foot dominant riding position since I just can't put power down with my right anymore... it was just too much.

I love mountain biking. I don't like swampy/sand biking, but that's a different story. I think I'll concentrate on the road stuff for a while and then revisit MTB at a later date. It's my first love with cycling, and, well, I have issues letting that kind of thing go ;) (In the airport yesterday, I saw some Porta Pros, and as those were my first "real" headphones, I considered picking up a pair for a second, until I remembered MSRP).

So yes, like Vicki said, more bike riding, not less... just will be the black bike instead of the red bike. That is, unless Zach comes down... then he'll make me get the red one out.

I'm going to have to watch those videos when I get home tonight.

**BRENT**

Oh. I don't mind falling (except maybe off of obstacles, so I don't do many of those right now), but yeah, I walk with a limp the past two years... definitely carries over to mountain biking a LOT more than road biking.

Falling on dirt or sand or grass at 5-8mph I'll take ANY DAY over falling on pavement. I have a scar from just tipping over on the road 5 months ago, at 0.5mph, that's worse than the Great NJ Thornbush Massacre of 2012.

**BRENT**

I haven't fallen on the road in a while. I posted pics of the damage somewhere around here and it healed up really well. Actually my worst scaring is from a fall on a MTB when riding on the road.

God I suck at riding mountain bikes. I really want to get better as I'd love to do the Leadville 100 or the Shenandoah Mountain 100 or similar. I guess I just need to go out an practice but with the population density around here it's hard to find somewhere not incredibly embarassing. Maybe this winter I'll take the bike down to the lake and practice in the two vacant lots behind the house.

Edited by Dreadhead

Really enjoyed the riding parts.  I would think your director's cut should cut out the 5 minute trail escape route interlude.   >:D

I still don't understand why Brent insists on taking a heavy mountain bike on all of his hikes.

Mike, looks like you have really good bike control.  Brent, you rocked walking down that 6 foot downhill.

Jeff, I wish I had some clue on how to edit this stuff.  

After reading the second line, I almost spit my coffee out.  That line maybe sig worthy.

I got some skills.  

• Like 1

It would win an award at Cannes, I guarantee it.  Dramatic music, bloody thorn holes.  We would film him walking to work and walking around his office with the MTB and play it off as some mental disease in which he insists on dragging a Huffy around everywhere he goes.  Golden. 

• Like 2

Nice ride, and great footage, Mike.  I think you and Jeff are onto something with the mentally deranged mtn bike everywhere boy.  Perhaps he is the start of a new condition emerging - MBSES (Mountain Bike Everywhere Syndrome).  Get that film ready for Sundance, and we can start the fund raising machinery.

• Like 1

I have an orange Road Holland jersey that I like a lot.

On more exciting news: Dave emialed me and it looks like he's expecting the frame today/tomorrow, and said he'd have it shipped to me by the 21st/22nd. I'm biiting the bullet and paying for faster shipping rather than UPS ground. I really want the bike built up and ridden around a couple days before Sebring. Looks like it can happen. :)

• Like 2

The bike would be his emotional support bike, like the people I keep seeing on planes with the dogs claiming they need it for emotional support.  Brent, we will cut you in on the take at the box office.

Brent, I advise you to accept this front-end offer. Normally "The Talent" has to accept residuals on the back-end "profit". Don't be like Darth Vader. Mike needs to brush up on Hollywood Accounting. :)

• Like 1

Did anyone else read these two posts and hear them to the tune of Katy Perry's I Kissed a Girl?

Nope, but I do hear Queen's Bicycle Race.

Nice ride, and great footage, Mike.  I think you and Jeff are onto something with the mentally deranged mtn bike everywhere boy.  Perhaps he is the start of a new condition emerging - MBSES (Mountain Bike Everywhere Syndrome).  Get that film ready for Sundance, and we can start the fund raising machinery.

Cyclocross bikes are the win for this.  I do have an old 1990 Rockhopper that I have set up for long mountain and road rides.  My CX bike is not quite set up for CX yet (need wheels and different gearing).

Edited by holland

Really enjoyed the riding parts.  I would think your director's cut should cut out the 5 minute trail escape route interlude.   >:D

I still don't understand why Brent insists on taking a heavy mountain bike on all of his hikes.

Mike, looks like you have really good bike control.  Brent, you rocked walking down that 6 foot downhill.

Jeff, I wish I had some clue on how to edit this stuff.  

After reading the second line, I almost spit my coffee out.  That line maybe sig worthy.

I got some skills.  

I honestly cannot stop chuckling over Jeff's second line in that post.   :laugh:

topeak large http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/AeroWedgePack_large_velcro its holds EVERYTHING...extra tube, hand pump, large multi tool, tire levers, patch kits, first aid kit, my phone, my keys and my MTB card/ID/medical crap. Sometimes i use a small bento bag i use to put a snack/gels in.

MTB in florida isnt really like normal mountain biking...for us its more trail riding than anything. Its all really tight turns/switch backs...a lot of coral rock (which caused my flat), really sugary sand in some places. 

However, its challenging...our parks are not HUGE like national parks, so they have to make do with very little space. With that space they came up with some pretty sick stuff.  

Anytime you guys are ready...ill go out with you and show you around, even if you dont think you can do better than brent =) 

Its all good...just stay on the trail and you wont get lost. 

Edited by HighLife
  • Like 1

while midway through the ride with Dom, Mike and Brent I ranted like a baby after a nice over the handle bar spill that resulted in a torn up knee. I have this perverse need for more mountain biking, I just need to learn how to handle the really tight turns and out of nowhere short but somewhat steep uphills .

The fall has taken me off the road bike for a few days while the swelling goes down. Anyone use knee guards on the bike as I think that would have solved the knee issue.