HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

I have a Detours medium size seat bag and a similar size generic bag.  Each bag carries a tube, inflator, 2 co2 cartridges, a sticky patch kit, 4,5,6 Allen wrench's or small multi tool with those sizes, small knife, photo i.d. At times depending on the ride I'll add a small chain tool and quick link.  It sounds like a lot of stuff but it's very compact.

What I find more important is what I carry on my body.  Photo i.d. , credit card, cash, phone, Road i.d. that has contact info, blood type, and allergy info.

If I'm on the mtn bike I generally have a hydration pack and have a spoke wrench, a couple of tubes, small pump, patch kit, and the contents of one of the seat packs.

Edited by parris

while midway through the ride with Dom, Mike and Brent I ranted like a baby after a nice over the handle bar spill that resulted in a torn up knee. I have this perverse need for more mountain biking, I just need to learn how to handle the really tight turns and out of nowhere short but somewhat steep uphills .

The fall has taken me off the road bike for a few days while the swelling goes down. Anyone use knee guards on the bike as I think that would have solved the knee issue.

Part of your problem is that you are riding a 29'r.  It takes more to get them going and it is more difficult to maneuver, at least initially.  We need to find you a 26'r to try.  Wasn't someone selling one here, a Trek I believe.  Too bad you didn't buy that one.  I believe it was a 26'r. :)

Bontrager Pro SeatPack M(edium)

It holds quite a bit, including my phone before I just started keeping it in a bag in my jersey pocket. I needed a bag and my fav LBS only had stuff with their logo all over it, and the Trek shop had this one on sale for 13$. They were close to the ride I needed a bag for and I went with it. I liked the medium Topeak better, but it was MSRP at the shop, they didn't have anything but S or XL, and it wasn't worth it to me for something just a little better.

**BRENT**

Topeak is a great bag. I've used a few and the Topeak has lasted the longest. I don't use a camalbak much so I needed a large size. I still do carry an extra water bottle in my jersey back pocket. I hardly ever use it. Normally just keep it around with some water in it to wash off cuts or scraps. I have A LOT packed into it and its still pretty tight against my seat. The other bags I've had always bounced and made noise. Pretty annoying.

Edited by HighLife

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10053&langId=-1&catalogId=10052&productId=184017&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=datafeed&cm_mmc=Google_Product_Search-_-PLA-_-Datafeed-_-Park%20Tool%20GSC-1C%20Gear%20Clean%20Brush&CAWELAID=1011846488&catargetid=1572651282&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla

Prob the most used cleaning brush i own. I buy 2-3 of them and use them all over...have one for my chain/cass, have a clean one i use for the tight spots and a extra clean, unused one in case one fails. Worth every penny. 

Edited by HighLife

There was no wind this morning so I decide to see what I could do on the way in.  20.4 miles, 59:49.  It felt good and I'd say I was pushing 90% plus pretty much the whole way without every really going to 100%.  I took it a bit easier on the way home but had a funny little drafting experience.  I got passed by a small dump truck right before a hard right hand turn.  He took the turn and I decided to see if I could hang on his rear bumper for a nice flat section of the ride.  I only managed it for about a minute before we hit a small hill and I decided not to go for broke but cruising a 30+ in his draft for a quarter mile or so was FUN.  It really made me wonder what riding in a big paceline would be like.

Marshall, that looks interesting but the nose of the seat definitely looks odd.  I'm itching to try a new saddle but I think before I do I'm going to get a full/proper fit session done on my bike.  Even after raising the saddle last week I think I probably should be even higher and I'm not sure that my fore/aft positioning is really correct either.  I'll probably wait until after the century ride since I'm pretty comfortable as is and don't want to be fiddling with that before such a major undertaking.  I also don't really know the first thing about how to even go about selecting a different saddle.  I know I need to measure my sit bones to get an idea of the width to shoot for but other than that it seems like no better than a 50/50 chance of liking a new saddle any better than the old one.  I also don't know what a reasonable life expectancy is for a saddle.  By the end of this season I'll have 4,000 or so on my current saddle.

Marshall what saddle are you on now and why are you thinking about a change?  I agree that the Cobb looks really funky and not really narrow through the mid section.

It's great being lucky enough to catch the draft off a large vehicle isn't it?  -)  I lucked out with big trucks several times.

Allegiant Air is going to start flying from Charlottesville to Orlando (Sanford) starting Nov. 21.  Until thursday they're offering $90 roundtrip tickets.  i think im going to have to do this. any HCers going to be around in florida in late november or early december?

Marshall what saddle are you on now and why are you thinking about a change?

It's a Selle SMP Hybrid on a Fezzari Speedster....

Problem is the saddle is to wide when I'm positioned all of the way back and combined with the Zabriskie pore clogging sap of failure I ended up with rubbage sores on both sides where inside of leg meet butt.

Although compared to the tape measure measurements of the Hybrid saddle the dimensions suggest the Cobb Plus is roughly 3/4" narrower through the center....You're right about the Cobb saddles not being particularly narrow (through the center).....

Dunno where I got that idea from. ::)

Allegiant Air is going to start flying from Charlottesville to Orlando (Sanford) starting Nov. 21.  Until thursday they're offering $90 roundtrip tickets.  i think im going to have to do this. any HCers going to be around in florida in late november or early december?

Come to Sebring first weekend in December.  John, Mike, Raffy, and I will all be there.  

• Like 1

Marshall, that looks interesting but the nose of the seat definitely looks odd.  I'm itching to try a new saddle but I think before I do I'm going to get a full/proper fit session done on my bike.  Even after raising the saddle last week I think I probably should be even higher and I'm not sure that my fore/aft positioning is really correct either.  I'll probably wait until after the century ride since I'm pretty comfortable as is and don't want to be fiddling with that before such a major undertaking.  I also don't really know the first thing about how to even go about selecting a different saddle.  I know I need to measure my sit bones to get an idea of the width to shoot for but other than that it seems like no better than a 50/50 chance of liking a new saddle any better than the old one.  I also don't know what a reasonable life expectancy is for a saddle.  By the end of this season I'll have 4,000 or so on my current saddle.

It's for riding on the nose of the saddle, for steep climbs, I think.

Bike fitting, I'm not sure what to make of it.  Things change as you ride more or less.  People I know that fitted had to refit or just ignore it.  Some people are not flexibile, and after riding for a year are able to bend more and feel more comfortable doing so.  Their fit is lower in the drops and a longer reach stem.

Go to a Specialized store.  Butt fitting is free.  They will measure it with what the workers call a "buttmeter."  After that, it's all preference.  Some stores allow you to try saddles out and ride around.  If you don't like it, they can exchange and the prior cost carrying over.  Do clarify with the store first.  Some do not do this, but almost all realize that saddle fitment is a very personal thing.

4,000 good for you.

Edited by holland