HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

On steep climbs most people move back on the saddle to better engage the glutes and quads. The nose reminds me of multiple TT seats and is likely for when you're hammering in the drops and are "on the rivet" as the saying goes, though only people with Brooks are actually rubbing the saddle rivet anymore.

I somewhat agree with not really being sure of what to make out of a bike fit. Don't get me wrong, you can definitely have a bad fit but a "good" fit is somewhat negotiable/flexible, at least in my case. Seems like different fitters have different fitting philosophies and it's really hard to tell who's right or not. It's like a girlfriend, your current fitter is always the best until you move on to another one.

I've fiddled around with my stem length and some minor seat height and fore/aft adjustments and my fit right now is not the same as the "professional" fit I got last year especially in the reach department. I'm more comfortable where I am right now fit-wise. Maybe it's just because I'm a lot more flexible now than when I started cycling........

Bah.

As the this morning, Dave was expecting to both receive and send out my frame today.  As of five minutes ago, he still hadn't received the frame, meaning the bike won't be in Florida this week, meaning it won't be build up until early/mid next week at best.  I'm starting to get really frustrated.  So close and yet...........

To me, fitting is all about comfort..everyone has their formulas they use...none of which means anything unless youre comfortable. 

At first, people will start off with a more up right position...have the stem flipped up and have the hoods higher..once you get a better core, you can stretch yourself out, get more Aero. 

I know its tough to watch these guys riding the in the tour and all...but these guys have YEARS in the saddle...yes, their seat it 4 inches above their handle bars, but can we do that? I cant...thats for sure...

Just ride...standing up, sitting down, RIDE...

cept road...man road is boring to me...sorry...i did try it though, i did it for a few months....i was just WISHING for a jump, some dirt, and some more jumps. 

Edited by HighLife

Bike store got in a disc trucker that was just my size today. It just felt right and I couldn't pass it up. But because of the unique way my employer funds me, I had to put a payment on it and wait for the rest of fund-age to make it's way to me. Put a pair of hybrid pedals with it since I plan to go clip-less eventually. I'm not sure what is worse, wanting it or partially owning it.

In the meantime, I've decided a goal is to finish a century before I graduate from here. I have just about 18 months to accomplish this. If I finish earlier than I expected, I'll just have to increase the goal.

^ You can do a century before that.  In six months, I went from feeling faint after three slow miles to being ready to ride 165 in a two-day event.  I'm old and out of shape.  You're young and ready to go.  Congrats on the new bike.

On good news, I just got another email from Dave.  He got the frame and will send it out tomorrow morning.  Apparently, the UPS driver broke his tooth during lunch, and stopped to go to the dentist before making the rest of his deliveries.  :palm:

• Like 1

Adrian, good deal man.  A century is doable in that time frame assuming you pace yourself, eat right and it isn't some crazy ride with 10,000 vertical feet in the 100 miles.  Just start at reasonable distances, which given your fitness level is probably in the 15 mile range.  You'll probably gain strength pretty quickly and soon 40 to 50 miles won't feel like all that much.  After that 100 is just pushing yourself a bit harder.  Most organized centuries have 4 to 5 stops built in which makes them all the more doable.  I wouldn't recommend an unsupported century unless you're riding with a group of friends.

Boo, so psyched for you I can't stand it.  I imagine you're bouncing off the walls like a kid on Christmas eve.

Me - barring the third week in a row of bat invasions on a Wednesday night (did I just curse myself of what) I'll be hitting the one big hill around here tomorrow after work with a good friend and fellow Team Big Guy member.  Should be a nice, but hot ride.  Temps are supposed to creep up on 90...

Vicki it'll be there quick.  Silly ups guys what's up with them stopping to break their tooff anyway?!  You'll want to get a big garbage bag when the frame arrives because Dave packs the heck out of the box for protection.  

Bike fit isn't totally stagnant.  We tend to get more limber as the season progresses which will often lead to the bars getting lower, longer, or both.  The saddle "may" go up a little but what I've found over the years is that people will often ride better later in the season if the saddle goes back a bit and is level as opposed to nose down.  Generally but not always a nose down attitude is to compensate for a saddle that's a little to high.  Rocking hips and toes pointing down are usually the most visual indicators of that also.  

My position has changed from my racing days in that the saddle to bar drop isn't what it use to be, the saddle is slightly lower but it's also a little further back which helps with my bad back as it allows for a pretty comfortable and efficient position.  Of all the things I've seen over years funky saddle position has to be #1 by far.

Just got me a pair of these for my commute:

dolomite_t-v390.jpg?1321824393

They have the Fototec lens, I love them.

I have been pretty disciplined about commuting (5 miles each way with some minor hills) every day to work for the past 6 weeks or so.

I think I have only missed 2 days when I had to run errands or transport items too large for the bike.

It's really helped me lose weight (not sure how much: I have a "don't ask don't tell" policy with my scale) but I have been able to drop 2 inches in waist size so that's good.

I have also saved a bunch of money on gas.

My plan is to ride all winter as well unless there is ice.

I have outfitted the Defy with a rack and a Topeak bag, all the better to commute with.

I had a 2 week spell with 3 flats: 1 blow out and 2 pinch flats so I have learned to be more careful with curbs and potholes and such.

Loving the rides though, it's my favorite part of the day!

• Like 1

I'm good with saddles, but thanks, Dan.  I'm going with a Selle Anatomica (have both a vintage brown and black to try) to start, but if it doesn't suit me, I'm taking the Brooks off my Gunnar and starting there.  I have the SMP I want to put on the Gunnar anyway.  

The bike turned out a little more primary colored that I had envisioned, but I think once it's built up, I'm going to be thrilled.  I don't think the pics can show how the pearl white, cobalt blue and candy red will show up in the sunshine.

I bought the enves I've been using for the past many months, on both the Gunnar and the Calfee, for the Kirk.  I figured I'd get that expense out of the way early.  They're already at my lbs waiting for the frame to arrive.  

What's funny is I'm not a white bike person either, but after months of obsessing about color choices, this is the one that I felt good about every time I went back to it.  I wanted a color scheme I wouldn't be tired of in six months or two years, but made the frame pop.  I just wanted a clean, classic, and a bit retro look.  I think Joe nailed it.