HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Right before my 10-minute fitting. 

photo_zps99a4f906.jpg

Moved the saddle back a bit, and made one small adjustment to the bars.  Rode around near the shop for a few minutes, and I'm kinda really shocked on how perfect the fit is, as well as how smooth it is.  It feels like my Calfee with ride.  I get noticeable vibrations with the Gunnar steel fork.  No so with this bike. I managed to get in a nine-mile ride on A1A before the thunder and lightning scared me back in.  I had to do my version of a sprint to make it back home, and actually managed three miles at 25 mph in a headwind (note to self: cardio conditioning needs massive improvement). I made it to the end of my street right before it started storming.  The whole house is shaking right now.

Though I need to obviously get in more miles to know anything, what jumps out is:

1. Love the hoods (fit my hand perfectly) and shifting of the new Dura Ace.  Also like the mid compact.  Was laughing while spinning up a bridge. 

2. The fit of this bike needs no adjustment that I can tell.  I feel balanced and strong with no weight on my hands.

3. This Selle Anatomica is comfy comfy comfy

4. This bike feels so much smoother than I expected.  I'm not sure what I expected, but I guess I was going off the feel of the Gunnar. Also feels really stable.  Right before I turned around to do my little scared sprinting thing, I was drinking from my water bottle, sitting up with no hands on the handlebar.  

5.  According to my bathroom scale.  It weighs 18.2 pounds.  Since I need to lose about that much...... :)

6.  I look forward to getting a real ride in, hopefully tomorrow.

I'll take more pics Wednesday when I go back to get the final touches (bottle cages with little red buttons, different bar tape).

• Like 2

Very glad you're enjoying the bike Vicki! More power too you on the off handlebar drinking as I've never been able to do that even after hundreds of hours in the saddle. All my bikes are pretty twitchy race geomety but to be perfectly honest it's user error.

It looks like I may be getting another bike. I've been looking into it and I have pretty much decided to pack up my old Trek 1200 that I currently ride out of work during the week and take and leave it at my parents/brothers' house in Barbados. I'm very much looking forward to riding down there even if the airline will charge half what the bike is worth to get it down there.

What's blowing my mind though is that my wife seems to be supportive of me getting another bike to replace it in the stable (rather than ride the Giant during the week). I'm thinking of a CAAD 10 4 Rival, as that way I get SRAM and help out my local shop more than ordering from Neuvation. I'm thinking about it though and maybe just riding the Giant is the most sensible thing.

Dinny, time to get a Parlee, or like Dan implied, Vicki's Calfee (thought with different wheels, as these are now on the Kirk).

Uh.....Calfee is staying.  I love that bike.  The new plan is to upgrade the components sometime next year, and probably throw some flat or mustache bars on the Gunnar.

for a short fucker like myself (5' 6"), what size bike (if that's even how I say it) am I looking for?

51/52 is a good starting point, but it depends on a few things.  I'm 5'5" with a 29.5 inseam.  My Calfee is a 52, and slightly too big, but made it work, though not aesthetically pleasing (short stem and seat post).  My Gunnar has a 49 ST and 51 HT, and my Kirk has a 46 ST and 51.5 HT.  All fit.  Different geometries.  Go try some bikes.  On the good front, the 2014 bikes will be out soon, meaning big sales on 2013s.

I wish my I could get a new bike (and ride it).   My shoulder is improving but is still far from being able to get on a non stationary bike.   :(  Someday...

Wow, Shelly.  You've had a really rough go of it.  

Very glad you're enjoying the bike Vicki! More power too you on the off handlebar drinking as I've never been able to do that even after hundreds of hours in the saddle. All my bikes are pretty twitchy race geomety but to be perfectly honest it's user error.

It looks like I may be getting another bike. I've been looking into it and I have pretty much decided to pack up my old Trek 1200 that I currently ride out of work during the week and take and leave it at my parents/brothers' house in Barbados. I'm very much looking forward to riding down there even if the airline will charge half what the bike is worth to get it down there.

What's blowing my mind though is that my wife seems to be supportive of me getting another bike to replace it in the stable (rather than ride the Giant during the week). I'm thinking of a CAAD 10 4 Rival, as that way I get SRAM and help out my local shop more than ordering from Neuvation. I'm thinking about it though and maybe just riding the Giant is the most sensible thing.

I can only do that for a few seconds, though I can ride without my hands on for awhile if both the bike the road is right.  I think that ability comes from my commuter days.  I used to ride with a huge bag of laundry on my lap to the laundromat as well as lots of groceries looped over the bars.  I had no rack or panniers 'cause I was poor.  I got good with balance.

You know you want a new bike.  I've made the commitment to not get another for at least three years.  

Getting ready to head out for a short ride.  I've got to get an electrician out to the house this morning or I'd try something longer.  Hopefully, I can get out again this evening.