HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

I needed to dispense with some stress after a long 4 days at work so I took off at the end of the day and headed for the only mountain nearby, which is about 18 miles away.  I was cranking along happily until about mile 16 when I hit a sharp bump and the back end started to feel, uh, soft.  So I pulled over in front of a house that happened to have two overturned recycling bins in the front yard and changed my first flat on the bike with the use of the makeshift work benches.  I extracted a tiny metal shard from the tire which was the cause of the delay.  Not a big deal - I had a tube, pump and backup CO² (not needed) so twenty minutes later I was back on the road and headed for the climb.  In the end it was a minor incident and the only bummer was that it made me later than I wanted to be getting home and didn't allow for as much in the way of stress relief. 

152086940.jpg

In Sebring with Raffy.  John's still wounded from mountain biking, so sadly won't be joining us.  Just ate too much chicken mole at Don Jose's (really good Mexican restaurant) and got take out tamales for breakfast tomorrow.  We're doing the metric. It looks like the weather will be great, and as a real treat for me, there's no wind.

• Like 2

I am going to have to look into changing travel plans to make that December Sebring ride.  I wish I had just come down for this ride but for some reason I thought it was canceled since everyone would be there in December.

Have fun.

Edited by VPI

Have fun guys!

Did some bike DIY tonight. My FrankenTrek commuter bike that my brother gave me needed to have the wheels rebuilt (to swap out the hubs). Relaced the front wheel tonight, and have it almost up to tension and relatively true. Will finish truing and de-stressing tomorrow. Thanks to my brothers for the Park tools (TS2 stand, tension meter, etc.). And the Rock'n'Roll nipple cream (why do I feel not quite right saying that).

I might even take some pics on the rear wheel. This is actually kinda therapeutic :laugh:  And did ride to work 1 day this week, even though it was hot and humid.

Edited by Pars

That is awesome that you are building up your own wheels. I would love to do that sometime but I don't need any more wheels.

As far as the next HC cycling meet goes are we settled on Seabring? I don't think I can leave for a long weekend the week I get back from 10 days of though I am thinking about it. Any interest in one of the Carolinas in the spring?

Cool, Chris (Pars)!

Chris (Dreadhead), Sebring in December is definitely happening.  A meet in Spring would definitely also be fun.  If anyone is interested in Sebring, and wants to stay at the crappy hotel, which I recommend due to ease, book it as soon as you can, since you can always cancel, but it's doubtful you'll be able to get a room close to the event.  It's the first weekend in December.  

We're off!

• Like 2

I need a quick suggestion for some replacement tubes since my flat this week has left me with fewer spares than I like to keep around.  Amazon seems to have a plethora of options and I'd like to place an order through them so that I know I have the tubes before the century next weekend.

Had a really fun rmetric with Raffy this morning.  We managed to get in with some good groups most of the way, so had a fairly easy time of things until mile 52.8 (I remember it well) when I proved, yet again, my cardio conditioning ain't up to hills, even Florida hills.  Maybe had it come earlier, I might have recovered faster, but I came in feeling pretty toasted, but good.  Raffy kicked my ass the last two miles.  

I do, however, have abandonment issues.  John didn't make the trip, Mike had some lame/good excuse about his wife's birthday, and Raffy decided he doesn't want to ride tomorrow and went home.  I'm all alone.  I'm going to talk to some folks and see if I can find a group that wants to do the century tomorrow, but at an 17/18ish mph pace.  The groups today were much faster, except in the windy sections, which was fine for 63 miles, but I don't want to get dropped and ride alone for the last 20 or so miles tomorrow because I burned out too early.  I know I'm not up for that.  We rode today for a bit with a couple from Lake Charles.  They were in their 60s and put me and Raffy to shame, but I know the woman wants to do the century tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure they'll go slower and about what I think I can do.