HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Well, I've been gabbing with a bunch of people.  They're all trying to talk me out of doing a century tomorrow, saying it's just too hot out, and I should wait until December.  They do have a point. Predicted 93F with 40% chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon, meaning a humid 93.

• Like 1

Nice ride this morning Vicki. Good luck tomorrow and hope you make a smart decision with the real or metric century :) I'm not sure you could get me to do a century tomorrow even if there was a 2014 Dogma 65.1 with Dura Ace DI2 9070 waiting for me at the end. My legs are just not there.

Off to the fantasy draft in a few minutes. When I win, the funds will go to a new gruppo or frame.

Well, I'm looking at the maps right now.  The metric is hilly all throughout, and the century (actually 106 miles) looks relatively flat minus two nasty-ish hills around mile 43 and 53, with a rest stop in between.  The last ten miles look about the same as the last ten miles today, but....it's the last ten miles....I could crawl in if I wanted.  My legs and tush feel fine.  Gonna go see if I can find some people to ride with.  

Mistakes were made.

1) I probably shouldn't have done my first century in 95 degree heat plus humidity today.

2) I probably shouldn't have done my first century in an area with hills (yes, I know they don't count for most of you), since I have zero experience, and apparently suck at them

3) I probably shouldn't have done 63 miles yesterday.

4) I probably should have waited to have someone to ride with me

That said, I did pretty well, all things considered.   I actually kicked ass until mile 42 when the predicted hill got me winded, and I got dropped, ending up riding for the next 45 miles by myself, which kinda sucked.  I had a serious bonk between miles 60 and 80, when it was uber hot and i ran out of water, and there was nothing around.  I was going about 11-14 mph.  Was tempted to call the SAG wagon, but then saw the rest station (there was a 27 miles break between rest stops and it was just too hot).  I originally wanted to do about 17-18 mph, but that's when I thought I'd be riding with a group.  I did join up with the group that dropped me  with 15 miles to go.  They were at gas station trying to cool down.  Did 106 miles in 6 hours 16 minutes.  I'm going to call it good.

What's really good is that I feel freaking great!  My legs and ass muscles are tired, but that's it.  Zero issues with hands, shoulders, back, bum, ankle, etc. throughout the ride.  This bike so fits perfectly, and rides so smoothly, even though a good 50 miles was on crappy roads that shook the whole bike, nothing hurt on the ride or hurts now.  I'm also in love with the Selle Anotomica saddle.  I need to improve, but nice to know the bike doesn't.  I wouldn't change a thing.  

That's all for now.  I've been hanging out with new friends downstairs, since I was abandoned by my old friends.  Gonna go make some dinner plans.

• Like 2