HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Vicki, you're amazing!

I went out for a few miles today. It was depressing, I'm back as square one, really. Coming off a week of sickness + a weekend of rain and back problems isn't good, but cycling was really helping out with the back pain earlier in the season, so I thought I'd get out a little. Felt good for the first little bit, but then it got a little rougher.

One thing I like about riding loops AWAY from home... I can't give up so easily.

The kids are going to be at their grandmother's next weekend, so I should have some time to go hit a loop I really enjoy that has doesn't have quick exits to home if I get the notion. Also, at least for now, I need a shorter stem, or a more flexible, well, everything.

**BRENT**

Nice to see you out there Dan!

Discovered a shocking water fact today: weighed myself as soon as I woke up: 159.6.

Drank coffee and some water then rode 20 miles. Finished 2 650ml bottles and then a little part of a 3rd bottle. Weight when I got home: 159.4. This leads me to think that my body consumed/needed all that 1300+ ml just for around 1:10 of riding.

I think the only thing you can take away from that is that your body was probably at the same relative state of hydration before and after.  Who's to say you were well hydrated when you started?  And there's probably a lot more to it than that.  Needing ~44oz of water in 20miles would be pretty shocking indeed unless it was absurdly hot/humid out.  I drank about than when I did my metric century in mild (~75) temps.

Congrats on finishing that many miles Vicki. I am going head out in 20min for another 20 or so but my total in 3 days will only be like 70 miles. No epic rides for me unless it's a special event.

There is a timed century/Gran Fondo in Richmond in October that I am thinking of doing. I may just have to bite the bullet.

Had a great ride with Dan today.  Nice ride with just over 500 feet of elevation gain over the 21 miles.  Averaged 15.7 MPH for the ride which is a big improvement for Dan after being back on the bike for such a short period.  He's riding over 30 miles a week now.  We are developing a pretty decent team of riders up here.

Really shouldn't have stopped for lunch, it was crap BBQ and made the end of the ride more work than it needed to be.

• Like 1

Nice rides, everyone!  And good to see Dan rocking the Road Holland shirt.

And there's probably a lot more to it than that.  Needing ~44oz of water in 20miles would be pretty shocking indeed unless it was absurdly hot/humid out.

I can promise you it was absurdly hot and humid out.  Mid 90s and so freaking steamy, my glasses were fogged up most of the ride today, even in the sunshine.  Drove home in an all out thunderstorm.  

You guys are all going to kick my ass when you come to Sebring first weekend in December.  When I said I can't do hills, what I should have said was I am really really pathetic on even our version of hills.  I huff and puff, and my heart rate soars up insanely and it takes me a lot of time to recover.  If there are more than a few hill in a row, I bonk.  That's what happened yesterday.  I know the heat didn't help, but I'm really really bad.   I suppose I could do bridge repeats, but I don't even know if that would help.

On the good front, my leg muscles are a bit tight/stiff, but that's the extent of any damage from this weekend, which I'm attributing to how great my bike fits.  Also, I did learn two things: 1) I can do miles, even if not well, and  2) I'm going to piss off my co-worker and cancel my participation in the Smart Ride this year.  63 miles = fun.  163 miles = not so much fun.  Maybe in another year, but I don't feel strong enough yet to have that distance be enjoyable, and I don't want the pressure of training for something I don't want to do.  I have enough stress in my life.  I need cycling to remain fun.  

Anyone want to go for a short ride this weekend? 

• Like 1

Great deal Vicki.  It's fairly rare for someone to be able to jump on a new bike and put he hours that you did this past weekend no matter how well things fit.  There's almost always some tweaks that need to be made.  How did the mid compact work out?  

I moved the saddle back 1 cm after my first ride on Monday.  That's all the tweaking I've done.  Vince just set the bike up per Dave's numbers. Maybe I got lucky, but it's perfect.

Love the mid-compact.  This weekend would have been a big fail without it, and I used all of it while trying to get up hills, then trying to keep up with the fast folk on the flats, and everything in between.  I'm also liking the new Dura Ace shifting. Easy, smooth, light.  

Parris, you really have to try the Selle Anatomica saddle unless you're a weight weenie.  They have a 30-day return policy if you don't like it.  Never have I had something so perfectly comfy on my behind right out of the box.  Zero discomfort during or after all those miles this weekend, and I haven't even had a chance to break it in.  Unlike the Brooks, this one is also waterproof.  I like it so much, I'm tempted to buy on just to pass out as a loaner.  

After losing my vintage red turbomatic somehow this morning, I am in the market for a new saddle (the cutter I was trying out REALLY doesn't work for me).  So I've PM'd someone on paceline who is selling a sella anatomica.  

And yah, I'll do a couple of days of light work on the stationary bike at the gym this week.  Basically, I spent nearly 2 hrs at "max exertion" (aka over 170bpm), and so the watch thinks I should now recover from that in order to get the most improvement for my effort.

After losing my vintage red turbomatic somehow this morning, I am in the market for a new saddle (the cutter I was trying out REALLY doesn't work for me).  So I've PM'd someone on paceline who is selling a sella anatomica.  

This one?  http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=134900&highlight=selle+anatomica  If so, did you get it?

Would anyone around here be interested in a Quarq Cinqo Saturn SRAM S975 with 110BCD and SRAM Red Yaw 50/34 chainrings? I could throw in 52/36 chainrings (Older Red) and recalibrate to that too. I'm thinking of selling it to get a set of Vector pedals as I've got too many bikes to move stuff around to and those would be better for me.

Edited by Dreadhead