HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

^ True. Weight was back in steel/aluminum frame days. And agree about the flattened back (if you are young and flexible enough to be able to do that) :lol:

Also, with modern frames (sloping TT) there seem to be fewer sizes offered. They used to be in 1cm increments from many manufacturers. Did I see someone now only offers a S-M-L frame sizing system?

i got various opinions depending on who i asked. Some said get the bigger bike and tweak it, some said get the smaller bike and tweak it. The 52cm was fun going around the parking lot but i liked it less at the shop that gave me an opportunity for a longer ride on the road. The 54cm was the opposite experience. And considering I rode Jeff's 56cm Calfee for 2.5 hours on my first road ride, and had zero pain the next day, i went w/ the 54, which i think is also easier to sell if i want to change later.

For you that's probably a good place to be for a first road bike, although you seem to have (like me) a short cycling inseam for your ht. Anyway you need road miles +++ to verify what you want to do with your road cycling, to determine if you need another size.

i didnt know until a couple days ago that there was a minimum bike weight for professional cycling. now that i know, id never bother with a bike that is lighter. its like how ridiculous aluminum bats got for baseball before youth leagues started restricting them

Edited by justin

Well I hope that they play well with each other. I'm not buying a 810. I'll just sell my Vectors when they arrive. DC Rainmaker didn't seem to have any issue.

I've basically given up on selling the Quarq as I can't seem to get a reasonable amount for it. I refuse to sell it for $200 more than the price of a crankset which is what the last set went for on EBay after fees. I guess the more the merrier or some such.

Edited by Dreadhead

Yeah I guess we will see.

Looks like it could be this (which is easily fixable):

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?49192-Vector-pairing-issues-left-pedal-Edge-800

My biggest concern is I've already seen a picture of a snapped off pod. I then realised that if you're standing on the pedals and not clipped in (e.g. on a hill) you could concievably push on the pod and break it off. At least the pods are a lot cheaper than the rest of it.

Edited by Dreadhead

Yeah, I am not fond of the pod setup myself.  Batteries that don't last for a ride would be a real problem.  Seems like Garmin went from a $800 unit that was supposed to be released a long time ago to a $1700 flaky system that still is not ready for release.

I hope it's better than flaky in the end but you do have a point. I don't think I ever saw $800 but I did see $1k-1.2k back when they were Metrigear. 

It would be nice if they could have avoided the pods being out in the open and the original plan was to have them behind the pedals but then the issue became that the pedal clearances have dropped to almost nothing on a lot of frames.

I'm still holding out hope that they fix any issues that arise and I end up with a powermeter system that is easy to transfer and transport.

I agree, Chris.  Everytime I think about buying some new component for the Roubaix that would shave a few grams I remember that I'm still a fatass and that the engine that powers my bike needs a lot more work than my bike does.  Now, that's not to say that I don't buy the occassional farkle because I do.