HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

I think it is a very good starter bike for a teenager. You don't want to spend big bucks when they are going to outgrow it in a year or two. Also, whether they like cycling or not, is the matter.... :D

I think the location of the friction shifters is the best for a beginner as well. If they were in the down tube, it takes some more coordination to get going...

Congrats to Simone

http://www.strava.com/activities/85600052

did 3 mountain bike trail loops w/ 10 min rest inbetween.  definitely the most miles ive put on that bike at one time. i lost about 80% of the rear brake after the first mile so that was interesting but worked out ok on this trail. 

due to some technicality in strava it ended up counting my rest prior to the final lap as part of the segment.  bleh!  otherwise it would have been the fastest loop.

• Like 1

I think it will really depend on if people are willing to travel and if it will require hotels, etc. for those traveling longer distances.  I would think somewhere out in the middle of nowhere would have some good roads without huge amounts of traffic but it needs to be close enough for people to be willing to travel.  Maybe even need hotels, etc. for travel team members, you never know.

Cool Dan! Hopefully you will get her into cycling!

EDIT: Also, on the chance that anyone here might be interested, I have my brother's Bianchi FS over at the paceline. I took Wed. and Thurs. off this week to trim a hedge in our back yard. Got done early afternoon on Thurs. so took it out for 30 miles. Nice bike, Campy stuff works great on it. I even like the saddle on it, even though I have always ridden Brooks Pros.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=137126

2013-09-28011251_zpsf0539fd1.jpg

Edited by Pars

I am starting the prep process for the Sebring HC Cycling Team event.  Set up a 3D fit for the Calfee for Wednesday and started researching Sebring shops to set up an appointment for someone to put my bike back together when I get it down there, in case I decide I can't get it back together myself.  

Probably going to switch the Calfee to the Mad Fibers for the trip so I am hoping this all fits in the case.

• Like 1

I am starting the prep process for the Sebring HC Cycling Team event.  Set up a 3D fit for the Calfee for Wednesday and started researching Sebring shops to set up an appointment for someone to put my bike back together when I get it down there, in case I decide I can't get it back together myself.  

Probably going to switch the Calfee to the Mad Fibers for the trip so I am hoping this all fits in the case.

There's a bike shop next to the hotel.  I forget the name, but I'll get it for you later today.  

I'm tempted to go but I'm a bit wary of bringing my bike in checked baggage. It looks like there's a variety of distances to ride at the Sebring event, what's the plan in terms of distance?

Vicki, JP and Raffy will probably do something like 2.5k miles over the course of the weekend.  I think Mike, Justin and I will do normal rides, 40-60 miles.

We are having a training ride this weekend, Saturday probably.

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1

Ben you can borrow my bike bag and ship it FedEx too.

Thanks for the offer, I'll probably take you up on the bag if I go. What airline do you use that's bike friendly? It looks like Southwest charges $75 each way.

Vicki, JP and Raffy will probably do something like 2.5k miles over the course of the weekend.  I think Mike, Justin and I will do normal rides, 40-60 miles.

We are having a training ride this weekend, Saturday probably.

Lemme know when and where and I'll come along for the ride.

http://www.kenlodge.com/hotel/ is the hotel? Online booking says they have no availability.

Still trying to figure out which routes will still be available.  I had heard Rock Creek Park might be closed but I am not sure if that is to cars, bikes or both. 

I was planning on staying at a Marriott and using points.  There was one in the area I believe.

I was planning on staying at a Marriott and using points.  There was one in the area I believe.

Wise move. I stayed in the Residence Inn (2 miles away max) last month and it's totally worth the extra 15 mins you need to wake up earlier in the morning. And I hate waking up early......

That being said, I am rooming with JP at Old Musty Hotel as I don't want him to be lonely. 

Edited by raffy