HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Got a couple good rides in today, went for a cruise along the creek in the morning to enjoy the weather & scenery, then my friend dropped by in the afternoon and we went for an aggressive full speed rip on the local trails.  Neither of us wanted to cry uncle so we ended up pushing the speed to the point where we were scrubbing the jumps to stay on the trail and drifting through most of the turns.  it was intense, one screwup and it would've been an instant hospital trip.

Couple pics from the morning ride

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

The carrier in the rock n roll should wash it away anyhow so....

What's up with what looks like pealing on your rear wheel?

Just the picture or? ???

You looking at that spot next to the logo? I wonder if it's just light reflecting oddly off the wheel, since it's on the brake track and would definitely be felt if it's something more.

It's some weird variation in the carbon in the brake track that's merely visible but you cannot feel it if you run your finger across the brake track. I don't get any vibrating or pulsing when I use the rear brakes. The pic makes it look more obvious than if really is.

I'm gonna call Enve to ask what's up with it though. Posted Image

Looks like a seem to me. My ENVE rims have same thing. Bit harder to see on mine though as the decals mostly cover it. My metal rims have them too,

I see the seam but I'm more interested about that horizontal flake-looking part. You can't feel it at all so I suspect it's something normal in the carbon layup.

Why roadies should not ride mtb: one of my friends was out at a ski resort doing some downhill riding. He gets out of the hospital tomorrow.

How much mountain bike experience does he have and has he done downhill riding before?

Hope his injuries aren't too serious and that he gets better soon.

That's gotta suck.  Problem with DH riding is that when things go wrong, they go wrong in a hurry and unless you have the instincts & experience to react correctly it often results in serious injuries.  Full body armour helps but it only goes so far.  I've seen a lot of weekend warrior types get maimed at the local DH biking resorts, every time I've been on the hills I've seen someone get carted away in an ambulance, it's very easy to get in over your head without realizing it and before you know it you're waking up in a stretcher.

New school trail design doesn't help either since the trend towards bermed flowy jump trails makes it fairly easy to hit very high speeds without having it register, one mistake and you're flying into the trees at 30mph.  Worst one is the resort which has a large tabletop jump at the end of a long downhill straight, if you don't slow down or squash the jump you'll completely overshoot the landing and find yourself 10-15' in the air with nothing to land on.

Yeah he's proposing putting a cross bike for me in with a team order to Giant. That way I get the team prices which is less than he can give me because Giant marks down the wholesale a lot for teams. We'll see but I'm pretty excited. That said I haven't cleared it with my wife. I may need to cancel my Surface Pro 2 order which isn't really a big deal.

I'm interested in the ride, which distance were you going for? Mind you I won't be doing it at a particularly fast pace :)

Race pace sent out an email about a meet and greet/charity auction/autograph session with Jens and Ben King on Friday

edit: That cross bike sounds like a tempting offer! I say go for it :D

Edited by Nebby

I'm leaning towards a gravel bike for my next purchase. Dedicated cross geometry seems generally to be on the uncomfortable/twitchy side although there are certainly exceptions to that. Which Giant are you eyeing, Chris?

Same if i want to do the club gravel rides this winter. Or just go on the full suspension mtb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Justin you joined a club? Cool beans.

I'm not sure I need a cross bike but there are a few races/rides that sort of need/recommend them (hilly billy roubaix, mountains of misery) around here and there is also the C&O canal trail across from work which could be fun to ride too. Also it would be nice in the winter. I really should have just gotten the cross bike when I bought the MTB because I think I would have used it more.

Anyone here interested in a Russian River jersey made by Canari in medium? It's a 3/4 zip club cut that is very generous in my opinion. Too big for me and I just realized I don't like printed jerseys at all.

$55 shipped and I'll take trades for bike gear particularly tires and cassettes.

Posted Image

Posted Image