HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

One thing to consider is how quickly kids grow vs cost of the bike (this w/o knowing the value of the one you show Ric). Also, there is no guarantee that they will like it(!). In this vein, I got my older girls a balance bike, so far no luck in getting her to use it near as frequent as the tricycle.

My girls have gone through 2 tri-cy's each already...

Thanks guys for the input. Yes, time of use before graduating and how much we want to spend on that time (if she even likes the bike - great point) is certainly big questions we're trying to weigh. I'm not 100% behind this balanced bike thing to begin with, but running around Craigslist it seems some models keep their value well. Plus we're not considering the $1900 Mores models  ::) so everything else is cheap-ish-er! Came across http://www.twowheelingtots.com/ which was our primary guide. Anyone else looking may want to start there. The line about toilet training during this period and hosing down wood v. composite v. metal started the considering of the above FirstBike. Will likely order tomorrow, so if anyone else has a comment please pipe in. 

Edited by blessingx

Their salaries are also a factor:
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/pf/jobs/1010/gallery.best_jobs_highest_paid.moneymag/index.htmln

Edit: I was bored and I wondered if how much their insurance premiums were and while crazy (up to $55k) are not going to hold a candle to the salary: http://depts.washington.edu/asaccp/sites/default/files/pdf/Click%20here%20for%20_87.pdf

Edited by Dreadhead

im having fun watching the insurance bills continue to come in, hopefully get it all done this year before a new deductible kicks in i noticed that the anesthesiologist got paid more than the surgeon. thought that was interesting
It shouldn't matter when they bill you/insurance company, only the date of service should matter. So you shouldn't have to pay your deductible again. Of course, if you have PT or follow up appointments, you will have to continue to pay since they will have a different service date. Also beware of bills that the hospital may send you saying that certain things weren't paid by the insurance and now you are responsible for them. You may not be responsible for them. Edited by shellylh

After I moved my lovely Brooks saddle, long seatpost, and Xootr rack from Squirt to my new-to-me Brompton my GF suggested that I just move the good wheel from the new-to-me bike to the bike that is really set up like I like. 

:facepalm: @ me. 

The seatpost was INCREDIBLY tight. Like whoa. 
The new to me Brompton is not very new at all, and has the M-type handlebars, which are are much more upright than the S-type bars on Squirt. Despite my best efforts I could not get the new bike to hit all 3 gears in the hub without adjusting the cable - at which time it would not hit the gear on the other side. With the shift lever on Squirt it took 1 try to get it dialed in.  

Btw, tried to discern by reading many pages of posts, but could you give me some details of your bikes? I remember you had some kinda insane Giant bike, but curious what else you have. Not really in the market, but it's good to know what you hardcore guys roll around with. It sounds like quite a few of you have insane builds now (VPI, Nate, Justin's cannondale looks great too).

I think at some point I will get a decent road bike as I'm pretty satisfied with my mountain bike (Too terrified to really do any serious mountain biking) and commuter... might make sense to do a nice road bike in the future. 

Forgot to reply to this when I was on holiday: I have the following nice road bikes:

Calfee Dragonfly Custom (really a semi-custom as only head tube is different from stock), SRAM Red 2012 (20 speed), MadFiber wheels, Quarq power meter

Giant TCR Advance SL0 (2010), SRAM Red 2010, Zipp 404 wheels

I also have the beater Trek 1200 which is now being left in Barbados, a Neuvation FC100 for use on the computrainer, a Cannondale Slice TT/Tri bike and a Giant AnthemX 29er mountain bike.

I also have a cyclocross bike on order (and paid for) but it doesn't appear that it's going to show up anytime soon :(

• Like 1

Been at the shop all day and they cannot get the Calfee to fit in the S&S box with either the MF or Zipp wheels. If they don't get it done soon I am going to have no bike for the bikefest in Florida.3y2utavy.jpg

Edited by VPI

I think we are set.  Everything is in the box, hopefully it survives.

I had to go with the heavy ass Zipp wheels because the spokes on the MF make it impossible to make everything fit as handlebars need to go through the spokes to make this work.

Part of my concern is whether to lock it and attract the attention of the TSA goons or not.

I might just throw a gun in there so those fucknuts can't open it up and screw up the packing.

Edited by VPI
  • Like 2

yve2any8.jpg

X-ray. 4 weeks after surgery. i've been instructed to wear the sling for 1 more week and start some arm movement. i have excellent internal/external rotation, but can't lift the arm without pain -- the surgeon was able to lift it once i got something to relax, but it was hard for me to find what i was tensing. so i'm supposed to bend over and let my arm hang and do small circles with it. next visit 3 weeks (which ends up 4 because of Christmas/New Years) and thinks i can do stuff like running again

Edited by justin

yve2any8.jpg

X-ray. 4 weeks after surgery. i've been instructed to wear the sling for 1 more week and start some arm movement. i have excellent internal/external rotation, but can't lift the arm without pain -- the surgeon was able to lift it once i got something to relax, but it was hard for me to find what i was tensing. so i'm supposed to bend over and let my arm hang and do small circles with it. next visit 3 weeks (which ends up 4 because of Christmas/New Years) and thinks i can do stuff like running again

Looks like the fragments are well aligned, but a bit far, so the callus growth might be slower. Hopefully for the next check the gap is filled with fresh bone.