HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

after 4 week post-surgery appt last week, i asked for a referral to PT, and started that tuesday. it went ok, i found what i already knew - cant lift arm more than halfway up due to pain. but once it is pulled past that point for me, theres no pain, except going back down through the halfway point hurts twice as much. did rotator cuff tear tests, no problems. so the issue is either adhesions/impingement after 4.5 weeks in a sling or a labrum tear which they cant test for yet. if it doesn't improve over the next few weeks of PT have to explore that option and get an MRI that surely wouldnt have been a bad idea to do before the first surgery, but, thats just not how they do things. too bad that will be 2014 with a brand new deductible :palm: will see how it goes though..im gaining like 1/4" a week of movement

i dont have pain at night which is one of the symptoms of it, so dunno yet if thats what it is or if its just from being in the sling or from some other trauma that is still healing itself 6 weeks after injury & 5 weeks after surgery. just have to wait and see. the PT guy doesnt want to do the labrum tear tests until the bone is solid, which is a few more weeks, if there isnt improvement

Edited by justin

All the Rx they took didn't show bone lesions in the joint, so my guess would be some inflammation from the crash, on some part of the capsule. Don't forget that your arm, hence the shoulder, absorbed all the impact from your fall. That broke the clavicle and probably left other damages, but just as contusion and inflammation. It will improve with PT, you'll see :)

A friend of a friend created this method to avoid safety pins when putting numbers on your jerseys: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/racedots. I got in when it opened but the big news is that Team Sky has requested a few to try out (as they have been approved by the UCI). Would be awesome if a set ended up winning the yellow next year. Pretty neat  :)

Edit: Sorry for your troubles Justin and I hope you make good progress now you've started PT.

Edited by Dreadhead

a couple days later can almost lift the arm all the way. amazing how much putting the sling back on for a couple hours, if i need the support, will regress it. i think the underlying pain that prevents lifting the arm is still there, but what i once felt a week ago with the weight of the arm alone is now probably what i'd feel if i also had a 10-15lb dumbbell in my hand

Good to hear.  Whenever I have had surgery I have found that a lot of the lack of motion, weakness has been more mental than physical as it just seems like you are going to hurt yourself when you do something that feels a bit off.  Once I get over that I usually heal very quickly.

Great to hear Justin.

I agree with Jeff. The last hip I had done, a PT nurse came in the night of the surgery and grabbed my leg and bent it up as far as it would go. Freaked me out at the time, but helped a lot! The more you can move, the better off you are usually (within Dr. parameters).