HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Fair question Nate. A few reasons: 1) At $100+ a flat it gets pricey to ride tubulars day to day. 2) They are 10 speed so at some point I will need to replace them. 3) I can't plan on riding tubulars in the epic Gran Fondos etc I plan on doing this year as I can't carry 2 spares. I was planning on putting the Zipps on instead and that will likely be what I do. 4) I want SRAM shifting and since they are in the middle of a recall it's going to be a while before I can get a bike because every major manufacturer my shop carries has gone disc. 5) I got a amazing price on the bike as part of a team order and it will not be matched buying some other bike.

I can see the logic thread there, Chris.  My 2¢ would be to get the refund $, set it aside and wait for the cross bike deal to come back around.  I'd try to trade the MF's for a set of clinchers before I invested more $ in wheels.  I want some deep profile carbon baddies just for the lunacy of them, but first I've got to get the Calfee fitting right.  My left hammie is still giving me issues after being off the bike for more than a month...

Chris, if the deal is that good, why not just stick with the order, and you'll have it for next year(s)?

**BRENT**

Edit: Well, like Nate said, if you can get a similar deal next year, go ahead and get the refund and just wait and put in the order next year... unless this would possibly happen again.

Edited by MexicanDragon

I'm going to get my money back for sure. I wasn't really sure I wanted the bike anyway and if I'm not going to get it for 4 months I won't have any snow/ice to go riding on at that point anyway.  

On the cycling camp in Greenville concept I've nailed my dates down to 3/9-3/13 (I know it's less than ideal but Meaghan has a marathon 3/15 and it's easier for her with the kids if I go during the week). I'm even looking at this setup: http://www.trektravel.com/trip/greenville-ride-camp-bike-tour/ though if someone wants to come with me and will ride with me then we can probably cut the cost in half by staying somewhere cheaper and picking our own routes. I'm going to call Trek Travel and see if they'll give me any break because I don't want/need one of their bikes.

I grew up there and my entire immediate family lives there. The bike stays with them :)

Ben: Welcome to the Sufferfest. You have a power meter right? You should get PerfPro and a ANT+ stick and really step up your game with it giving you power ranges to meet etc.

I'm currently having unhealthy (for my wallet) thoughts about the Mavic R-SYS SLR clinchers for all the climbing that I'm going to do over the summer. The blacked out breaking surface also looks downright sexy.

Edited by Dreadhead

I'm using the video with TrainerRoad and ANT+ which does basically the same thing as PerfPro. In combination with my wahoo kickr and a newly tested FTP it made for painful first sufferfest.I had a ridiculous twitching cramp on my left calf about a minute into the last stage which made me ease up my cadence; then afterwards, my right calf did the exact same thing as I was clipping out when I was done.  :laugh:

If you get the Mavics you better break them in before the event, or else everyone's going to hear you every time you break :P

Yup that's the same thing. I went with PerPRO + Computrainer but same difference. What's your current FTP? Which test did you do? I haven't done a FTP test in years now. I should but I just look at the IF of recent rides and if it's greater than 1 for longer rides then I know to bump it up.

If I get the Mavics (more likely when) they are going to replace the Mad Fiber tubulars on the calfee. I may even sell the Mad Fibers though I don't expect to get a lot of money for them because they've slightly damaged (even after being blessed as fully functional by the manufacturer). I really regret not spending the money to get a brand new rear wheel when they offered a replacement with the latest wheel that was 11 speed for $400.  Now I'm SOL. They may just be below the threshold where it's worth selling them to me. Thinking about it honestly though I'd race my cheap aero tubulars or the Zipps before I race the MFs and if I'm going to do the fondos on the Mavics what's the point of having them sit around.

I'm also in the process of buying a new front fork for the Calfee as there was a lawyer tab missing when I got the bike from Calfee and in my rush to get my new toy instead of raising a stink I just filed down the other side. Now a year later I start reading horror stories about utralight skewers opening up and causing very bad days so now I want the tabs. Now 14 months later no one is giving me anything for free, I am going to get a discount but it's not clear what that will be as yet.

I did the trainerroad 2 x 8min test. I'm not sure if it's totally accurate because I overshot early on the first 8min stage and eased up towards the end of that interval, but I tested at 175. Last tested at 137 back in October, so I'm fairly happy with that.

My own current unhealthy wallet thoughts involve some form of endurance/gran fondo shimano disc brake bike. I really like shimano brakes for mountain and the r785's are essentially detuned XTR brakes.

Noticed my cassette is getting to be extra grungy so I finally bought a chain whip and lock ring tool. Thankfully I was able to use a channel lock instead of having to buy a crescent wrench that I would never use outside of removing cassettes. Not bad for a 5,000 mile Ultegra cassette. eheve8ys.jpg